Did I do my window correct ? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2015, 10:25 PM   #1

Name: Kim
Trailer: Ventura
Manitoba
Did I do my window correct ?

I started with the leaking one today/ the rock guard
Took rock guard /rail off
Took the black strips off my window ( can one buy these stop? My door is missing one ) unscrewed ( went and bought new screws for badly rusted was told to get stainless steel) took the window out scraped as much old butyl tape off put new tape on the window edge were old was popped back into the camper screwed it on pit the black strips back and put the rock guard back .. Know in the YouTube video I watched was simmilair tho they trimmed excess putty off then they did a fiber glass no no and siliconed... I was thinking extra putty be good for a seal or no? As well is there a final step after what I did ?

As well with rock guard one screw snapped off is it ok to leave as is or not? If not how in the bleep bleep should I get what's left of the screw out? It's the arm it usually has 2 screws

New to all this in shire been asked before but after a hour looking in stumped lol thanks!!
Cheyanna83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:19 AM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Do your black strips look like this?
Hehr Screw Cover, Molding

Need pictures, but it sounds like you did it right. The screw question really needs pictures.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:54 AM   #3

Manitoba
Yay! Should i trim the extra putty ?

Once home I'll get a close up of the trim but here's a shot of the door I had on phone
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 05-21-2015, 11:06 AM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I would trim the extra putty for a cleaner look. trim it when its cold first thing in the morning.
On your next window before you remove the window mask around the window first. Then after you putty cut around the excess and then pull it off with the tape. It will leave a nice clean line and you don't have to deal with sticky stretchy goo.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:17 PM   #5

Manitoba
Awsome!! Thank you!! I redid my water exit Not shire what u call that one ( ware you pour in sink flows out it )and my power boxes today ( both were leaking and I know why had a horrible putty job )
Slowly learning allot here!!