Did some Boler come without the supports near the sink? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2017, 01:31 PM   #1

Name: Z
Trailer: Scamp
Quebec
Did some Boler come without the supports near the sink?

I ask as I see these 2 Bolers 1986 and 1987, and both of them so not have the roof support near the sink that goes from the counter to the roof.

Please advise

https://flic.kr/p/Y3UySx

https://flic.kr/p/Z2mUqG

Edit...sorry...the above pics do not seem to be displaying
I will fix this when I get to my Laptop.
Luxus Panzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:32 PM   #2

Quebec
As promised ...

1986 boler by Z R, on Flickr

1987 boler by Z R, on Flickr
Old 10-02-2017, 08:51 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
your boler

dang and double dang!!!!!!!! no way!
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 03:03 AM   #4

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
dang and double dang!!!!!!!! no way!
Lol.

So are they missing the roof support that goes from the counter to the cabinets? Or did some late Boler come without these supports?
Old 10-03-2017, 07:21 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Many Bolers I have seen lacked the support. Not sure what years might have had it or not from the various factories that made them.

Based on what we know now about the long-term performance of these thin, flexible shells, it couldn't hurt to add support to one that doesn't have it. I'm not sure the builders had a 50+ year lifespan in mind.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 07:41 AM   #6

Missouri
the scamp

My scamp is 22 years old same construction I think someone put a new frame under her repainted her, I did a sub-remodel to the inside I think she is good for 100 years I don't see anything that can happen to her. I also love her!!!

My zinc and stove are gone I don't miss them!!
Old 10-03-2017, 09:10 AM   #7

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Is it a 13' with fiberglass or plastic cabinets? Have a nice look to them. Clean and crisp.

Our 17' has plywood frame and panels in cabinet design; the two wrought iron support sides are definitely doing some work in roof strength. Left is decretive support, right is also a tee towel rack and support.
Old 10-03-2017, 09:19 AM   #8

Name: Mel
Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th wheel
Nova Scotia
Supports

I have had just about every year of manufactured Bolers and a few of them never had the metal counter /roof supports.
Mel Comeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:44 AM   #9

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel Comeau View Post
I have had just about every year of manufactured Bolers and a few of them never had the metal counter /roof supports.
Interesting.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:04 AM   #10

Name: guy
Trailer: Ventura
Alberta
Roof support

I have repaired two boler (72 and 73) and the only thing there is a pipe from the top of counter to the bottom of the cupboard where the wiring goes for the lights,
yug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 11:56 AM   #11

Name: Ronald
Trailer: Trillium 1979 13ft.
Ontario
Registry
Support

Please replace or add that iron support. Paint it white so it isn`t so ugly. The support is nice to have! Boler put it there for a reason!
Butsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 12:27 PM   #12

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butsky View Post
Please replace or add that iron support. Paint it white so it isn`t so ugly. The support is nice to have! Boler put it there for a reason!

This sounds like sound advice. If I do get this RV, I will make it so.
Old 10-03-2017, 12:38 PM   #13

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Luxus, you can do this simple test. Measure the height from the top of the counter to the bottom of the cabinet close to front edge of the cabinet. Do this on both ends of the counter and compare the measurements. If they are not the same, you probably will want to prop the roof up so they are the same and install the support. You can also search for different threads where other owners used other things besides the stock support. I know one created wooden supports and another used a hollow rod they found at a home improvement store(they run wires in it).
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:12 PM   #14

Name: Vic
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
Support is important except.............

Regarding that ugly twisted Boler upper cabinet support. I believe it was designed and built for obvious support reasons because the manufacturer was avoiding liability problems when that white stuff begins to fall. Yes there are Bolers from the 70's and eighties that don't have them but I'm quite sure the supports have been removed by the owners. Most locations in Canada and many places in norther U.S. have heavy snow loads and if you don't winter your little "Cream Puff" in a garage, without that support, you're looking for trouble. If you're little guy lives in the southern parts of the country where rain is the only deterrent, get rid of that piece of ugly scrap.
Blues Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:51 PM   #15

Name: Mel
Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th wheel
Nova Scotia
Boler upper cabinet support.

I had many13ft Bolers for about 25 years, models from the early 70's. Sometimes more than one a year. My last one was an 85 that I had for over a year 8 years ago, also without an upper cabinet support. They had NOT been removed as there were no holes nor any signs of holes having been filled in.They all spent winters outdoors and in Nova Scotia it is not uncommon to have a few winter snow storms leaving up to 2 or more feet of snow (and ice) on the roof of Bolers and Scamps for a few weeks or longer. NOT ONE was damaged because it did not have cabinet supports. It was just common sense to have these supports and they served a few purposes. Bolers, like Scamps were manufactured to the wishes of the buyer and if the supports were not wanted, "they were not installed". Simple!
Mel Comeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 05:04 AM   #16

Missouri
I took mine out of my Scamp! Why? Because I hated it looks and I looked at the cupboard it has plenty of screws holding 5 across the top and all sorts sides and bottom.

Simple solution we don't put much weight up there if you can call a roll of paper towels and a pack of paper plates!

happy campin

bob
Old 10-04-2017, 06:19 AM   #17

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Bob, just be aware that the shell will sag a little over time without the support. It's not there simply to support the upper cabinet and its contents but to provide continuous floor-to-ceiling support for the outer shell on that side.

Without interior cabinetry, the thin shell is quite floppy- watch the promo video on Scamp's website that shows them joining the upper and lower shell pieces. All of the interior cabinets serve to stabilize and strengthen the shell. Think of it like unibody construction in modern vehicles.

The world probably won't end because you've removed that one support... unless you happen to get several feet of heavy, wet snow. Then a catastrophic shell failure is just possible. This Boler collapse appears to have originated over the galley.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cracked Egg.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	271.0 KB
ID:	112193

Some folks replace Scamp's twisty metal piece with something else that looks better in their eyes. The support in my newer Scamp is white, so it blends in better. Doesn't offend my eye- in fact, I've half a mind to add another at the other end of the galley. I'm a bit OCD- symmetry, belt-and-suspenders, and all that...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:04 AM   #18

Missouri
jon that may be truein a 16 and longer I just don't see that happening in a 13f but we will see maybe I will put a 2x4 in there!! I also cruise gently down the highway I am not an off roader. saying that some people can figure out how to tear anything up!

bob
Old 10-04-2017, 08:08 AM   #19

Missouri
jon I have heard of this ocd symentry thing what is that? is it a desease an afflictintion inquiring minds want to know!

by the way my brain is good today but my back is killing me can you come over and give me a good kick?

bob
Old 10-04-2017, 08:12 AM   #20

Missouri
Jon I would like to know the real story on that egg?

bob

Tags
boler