Dirty and filtered DC? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2011, 01:24 PM   #1

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Dirty and filtered DC?

Installation instruction for Fantastic Fan recommend picking up 12VDC feed from the "filtered side" of the converter to avoid noisy op due to dirty DC. Now I've had the entire converter/service out of the hole and I see no distinghishing feature that would indicate fuses for "filterered" DC. Would the unused terminals marked "Radio" present a good probability of providing filtered DC? How should I indentify a source of clean current? TIA for any insight or experience!

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:29 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
Installation instruction for Fantastic Fan recommend picking up 12VDC feed from the "filtered side" of the converter to avoid noisy op due to dirty DC. Now I've had the entire converter/service out of the hole and I see no distinghishing feature that would indicate fuses for "filterered" DC. Would the unused terminals marked "Radio" present a good probability of providing filtered DC? How should I indentify a source of clean current? TIA for any insight or experience!

jack
What brand and model of converter do you have?
Does your fan have remote control or any automatic features?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:40 PM   #3

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
What brand and model of converter do you have?
Does your fan have remote control or any automatic features?
Newmark converter circa 1998. 4000R without thermostat.

jack
Old 08-04-2011, 02:52 PM   #4

Registry
Quote:
Newmark converter circa 1998. 4000R without thermostat.

jack
Well, I can't find any info on your particular converter but a filtered power supply probably only refers to a consistent regulated source. Is there a dedicated charging circuit which may be higher voltage and less regulated to avoid?
I have installed several of that particular model of Fantastic fan, wired in various ways, and have experienced nothing but consistent quiet operation. In fact the fan runs great when wired directly to the battery with the battery wired to a charger. Even in this configuration, the fan worked perfectly when hooked to shore power and also when boondocking, all the way through the range of voltage drop overnight.
Maybe someone else may have an answer, I don't even recall the that particular recommendation or any problems associated with it.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:11 PM   #5

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Personally I don't think the fan motor will know the difference so Wire like Floyd did above because the Fantastic fan is self fused so a switch on a converter is a moot point AND
It is the closest to clean DC that you will get.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:43 PM   #6

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Personally I don't think the fan motor will know the difference so Wire like Floyd did above because the Fantastic fan is self fused so a switch on a converter is a moot point AND
It is the closest to clean DC that you will get.
Thank you both. I've had many troubles in my life and most of them never happened. By the by, is the supplied "closed cell" gasket (looks like Ethafoam) the way to go? Is tried and true putty tape better?

jack
Old 08-04-2011, 07:35 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Thank you both. I've had many troubles in my life and most of them never happened. By the by, is the supplied "closed cell" gasket (looks like Ethafoam) the way to go? Is tried and true putty tape better?

jack
Use the putty tape, seals and stays sealed.
I use that plastic decking spindle material for the inside frame it looks like wood and can't rot , plus it holds screws profoundly! Those light spots where the brads went into the frame took liquid gold as touch-up before delivery
Attached Thumbnails
1978 Scamp 13 004.jpg  
Old 08-05-2011, 04:31 PM   #8
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:

jack
Dirty DC is not a standard term. I suspect they mean unfiltered or pulsating DC which a converter may use to charge a battery. Filtered DC is the converter output that replaces your battery, for lights, etc. Most converters will have several filtered outputs each with it's own fuse similar to the various circuits in your home. The one marked "radio" is most likely fine. Since it is unused, you will may need to insert a fuse somewhere on the converter to energize the circuit. Good luck, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:21 PM   #9

Trailer: 1976 Surfside
Dirty dc Plug your rig in to shore power and you put your meter on the dc output circuits but put the meter in a/c mode and you have a small reading of a/c on the d/c line you have dirty d/c. Electronics and fan motors do not like that at all. Best to go on battery feed that will filter the voltage

Hope this helps
ken h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:49 PM   #10

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken h View Post
Dirty dc Plug your rig in to shore power and you put your meter on the dc output circuits but put the meter in a/c mode and you have a small reading of a/c on the d/c line you have dirty d/c. Electronics and fan motors do not like that at all. Best to go on battery feed that will filter the voltage

Hope this helps
Afraid "dirty DC was not in the instruction pamphlet; my usage. I know just enuf to be dangerous. Where some find electrcity complex, I find it shocking. I took the trim bezel off the present vent and ran a piece of heavy gauge steel wire back to the closet next the stove as a fish tape. That's right over the converter box and it's actually easier to get at the box connectors on the DC side than on the AC. I added a 110 receptacle for the M-wave so I know of which I speak. It's a Burro so no cosmetic problems in new feeds but there is foil-covered glass batt between the inner and outer shell so sometimes fishing is easy and sometimes not. I have several empty DC terminals and the Fan fan is fused, so I assume a fuse of same or greater resistance should be fine. But to be absolutely "current" about this, Ken, are you saying I should tap the house battery directly?

jack
Old 08-05-2011, 11:02 PM   #11

Trailer: 1976 Surfside
Hey Jack ,
The radio circuit on your converter would be a filtered one I'm sure . I didn't mean to complicate things - was just explaining what was meant by dirty d/c . Most converters have a little, should be fine under 6 volts a/c , had a fridge doing funny things very sporadic it turned out it was the converter it had 9 volts a/c on the no filter side and it was confusing the module board on the fridge. The little bit of a/c doesn't bother the lights but it does bother the electronics so I was told to change it over to the filtered side and I have had no problems since.

Take care,
Ken
ken h is offline   Reply With Quote