Discouraged - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2015, 09:07 AM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
While on this subject, I do have to wonder at times. IF you really want to camp, why would you buy a MAJOR "fix-up" project? You're going to spend SOOO much time (and not to mention $$) at home. My idea would be to buy something new at the most economical cost. THEN, if you're the "fixer-upper" (to which I ABHOR), then find an old one and do it on the side as a hobby when yer home and CANT go camping.

Life is WAYYYYY too short for me to tie myself down when I can be out enjoying camping!! I know I'll be blasted for my way of thinking but so be it. But understandably, if it's a financial restriction, it makes sense and we have to do what we have to do to survive.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:23 AM   #22

Name: Gardnpondr
Trailer: 1985 BigFoot G
Mississippi
yep I know this.
Gardnpondr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:42 AM   #23

Name: Jay
Trailer: Boler 1300
Ontario
Registry
I bought my Boler because it was "vintage" and because it was a project. Yes, I want to camp first and foremost but I love working on it and putting all the personal touches into it that make it unique.
My Design Supervisor and I talk regularly about the monetary investment and the value of the trailer. I have kept all of my receipts from this project but I don't feel the need to add them up (the Design Supervisor thinks I should!) We made changes because we wanted too, not because we had to. I replaced the interior carpeting/headliner because we didn't like the colour. I put a new axle on because I wanted brakes and I don't care if it is overkill. I painted the exterior because I wanted to, and I love it!
So to reiterate what others have said. Not all renos are about the street price of the camper, but about the aesthetic. I wouldn't sell my trailer, not now.
Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 12:07 PM   #24

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
While on this subject, I do have to wonder at times. IF you really want to camp, why would you buy a MAJOR "fix-up" project? You're going to spend SOOO much time (and not to mention $$) at home. My idea would be to buy something new at the most economical cost. THEN, if you're the "fixer-upper" (to which I ABHOR), then find an old one and do it on the side as a hobby when yer home and CANT go camping.

Life is WAYYYYY too short for me to tie myself down when I can be out enjoying camping!! I know I'll be blasted for my way of thinking but so be it. But understandably, if it's a financial restriction, it makes sense and we have to do what we have to do to survive.
I think it depends on what you like. Some people like to camp but also enjoy the renovation and repair part of it -- like a hobby. For us, we wanted trouble free because we're not into fixing. So, we bought new.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:28 PM   #25

Same here in a way Bryan. On the OTHER hand, my wife tells others "He's made a hobby out of our Scamp." Not to sound contradictory to my previous email, but I HAVE enjoyed "tinkering" with it. Nothing major, but additions. Now some I DONT like because it's some things Scamp should have done to start with. But I wont dwell on those.

A few I have enjoyed: Adding a digital thermostat to my A/C w/Heatstrip- works WONDERFULLY for controlling the inside temp; I added "spindles" to the -what I consider ugly- wrought iron supports beneath the cabinet; tank monitors and alot of other things. But they never tied me down. I study them out during the winter months of work and no travel. Then I would usually pick the early months Feb/March to do the mods and have them ready for the first "spring run"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
I think it depends on what you like. Some people like to camp but also enjoy the renovation and repair part of it -- like a hobby. For us, we wanted trouble free because we're not into fixing. So, we bought new.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:43 PM   #26

Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Same here in a way Bryan. On the OTHER hand, my wife tells others "He's made a hobby out of our Scamp." Not to sound contradictory to my previous email, but I HAVE enjoyed "tinkering" with it. Nothing major, but additions. Now some I DONT like because it's some things Scamp should have done to start with. But I wont dwell on those.

A few I have enjoyed: Adding a digital thermostat to my A/C w/Heatstrip- works WONDERFULLY for controlling the inside temp; I added "spindles" to the -what I consider ugly- wrought iron supports beneath the cabinet; tank monitors and alot of other things. But they never tied me down. I study them out during the winter months of work and no travel. Then I would usually pick the early months Feb/March to do the mods and have them ready for the first "spring run"!
Yes, I agree. Don't get me wrong - I do "mods" quite often in my Escape, but not 'repairs'. I'm not sure if there's that much difference, but I like modifying, and I hate fixing. Here's a mod I did yesterday for example - installed a gas operated single pedestal for the dinette instead of the stock poles and sockets:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1336.jpg  
Old 05-26-2015, 12:46 PM   #27

Looks very nice and solid! You're exactly right...again. Mods are fun; repairs are NOT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
Yes, I agree. Don't get me wrong - I do "mods" quite often in my Escape, but not 'repairs'. I'm not sure if there's that much difference, but I like modifying, and I hate fixing. Here's a mod I did yesterday for example - installed a gas operated single pedestal for the dinette instead of the stock poles and sockets:
Old 05-26-2015, 12:49 PM   #28

Arkansas
Registry
Back on topic, I would only echo to the OP what others have said. Prioritize your repairs, and take them one at a time. The good news is that your trailer will get a little better each time!