Discovered leak - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2008, 01:48 AM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Bought trullium 4500 last summer. Took it out once to Algonquin Park, I like it.

Going to florida panhandle next week. In getting ready for trip I discovered a leak from the rear window.. It did'nt leak in the summer or fall, I guess the ontario winter cold has opened up a path for water to get in. Unable to pinpoint origin of leak but about 3" below window. fiberglass molded shape creates a barrier, water than travels horizontally both ways (trailer is level) then follows the edge of the ensolite down to the seat.

I plan to seal all window in sping so I'm looking for a temporary, effective. short term solution.

Any ideas what to do??

I would greatly appreciate any help on this one, i plan to leave the bed set up for the entire time, and bought a trailer so I could be off the ground in a dry bed..
Thank You
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:41 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Whatever you do, don't blob on silicone around the window. Not only will you need to remove all that goop when you take the window out and reseal it, but it may not stop the leak to begin with. It might only take a couple of hours to reseal the window, from removal to finish. Are you sure you don't want to do that instead of some temporary fix?
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:33 AM   #3

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
In getting ready for trip I discovered a leak from the rear window.. It did'nt leak in the summer or fall, I guess the ontario winter cold has opened up a path for water to get in. Unable to pinpoint origin of leak but about 3" below window. fiberglass molded shape creates a barrier, water than travels horizontally both ways (trailer is level) then follows the edge of the ensolite down to the seat.
I just recently fixed a leak that I thought was from the rear window but wasn't. It actually came from a rivet clip gone bad in the belly band a few inches below the rear window. I just gently peeled off the ensolite with a sharp scraper, did a bit of grinding where the leak was, spackled a bit of fiberglass and glued the ensolite back on with contact cement.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:03 AM   #4

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
I plan to seal all window in sping so I'm looking for a temporary, effective. short term solution.

Any ideas what to do??

I would greatly appreciate any help on this one, i plan to leave the bed set up for the entire time, and bought a trailer so I could be off the ground in a dry bed..
Thank You
All of the windows in my 76 Trillium leak somewhere, I had the chance to pull one out last summer and reseal it with rubber butyl tape, it is sealed great now.

Until I get a chance to pull out the 2 that are leaking right now, I bought the "draft stop" silicone you use to seal your windows from drafts in the winter, I used it around my windows before I went on my summer vacation, and they are still holding dry, the nice part about using this a as a temporary product, it is easily removable, it peels right off when you are ready. Just don't plan on it lasting too long, I will be pulling mine off in the spring to seal the windows properly.
brendadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:37 PM   #5

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Howdy, Does your rear window have a similar rubber moulding holding in the rear window as a lot of other trailers that use a one piece rubber that is joined at the bottom center of the window....if so check if the rubber bead has shrunk at that point and left a vertical gap of about 1/16- 1/8" .....if so that is your leak point and the water gets in there and then flows between the ensolite and the cabin body.....if so this opening can be dryed out and then sealed with a black polyurethane sealant...(I used, heaven forbid, black silicone on my 13' Boler about 5 years ago and it`s still sealed)....the polyurethane is an excellent sealant .... ..Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 06:57 PM   #6

Health not great right now, hopefully by summer will be much better and able to do repairs..thx donna d.

double wall fiberglass under window so no access to belly band...expect to remove belly band in summer and correct anything that looks wrong...thx Daniel V.

I'll see what I can find in draft stop silicone products, didn't know there was such a thing..only has to be on for 4 to 5 months I guess clean with varsol, dry well and apply product.....so far sounds like the best temporary fix...thx brendadave..

benny k...I can picture what your describing, like a pickup truck rear glass... trillium window is entirely different..thx.

I'll wait a couple of days yet before I act...
Old 01-09-2008, 07:11 PM   #7

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
I'll see what I can find in draft stop silicone products, didn't know there was such a thing..only has to be on for 4 to 5 months I guess clean with varsol, dry well and apply product.....so far sounds like the best temporary fix...thx brendadave..
I had time to go look, here is the stuff I used

http://www.lepageproducts.com/products/det...70&plid=338
brendadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:00 PM   #8

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1973
Hi Nick- Deja vu! Picked our 13' Trill from the storage yard on Sunday and ....DRIPS! We head out for Texas and Arizona for three months ...is that a Murphy's law or what?
Try Storm King sealant from Can.Tire. I swear by it -Stopped my pinhole leak from a bad roof spot. (I now have a spring fiberglass project!)
Water trails off the roof and can migrate lots of ways through the ensolite. Most leaks are window leaks. Dry the area around the aluminum frame (hair dryer) and bead Storm King for a temporary fix. Dont forget to take off the black vinyl cover that hides the screws that go into the interior frame...they can catch and channel water through a rusted screw hole into the wood and into the ensolite...dab sealant on those spots too. This should get you through the winter till you can pull and reseal the window properly in the spring.
Happy Trails...Alistair
Alistair Camelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 02:09 AM   #9

I thank everyone for their help.. I'll use the Lepage or equivalent product.. The Storm King looks like a good product but permanent, draft stop stuff designed to be removed. Thank you

Screw cover good tip..thx Alistair
Old 01-13-2008, 08:15 AM   #10

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
I had time to go look, here is the stuff I used

http://www.lepageproducts.com/products/det...70&plid=338
That Lepage stuff looks really good for a quick fix on the road and then peels right off to do a permanent job later on....I'm gettin a tube of it to keep with me on the road.
thanx,
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote