Disposable propane bottles - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2010, 03:38 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Has anyone had any experience refilling the 16 oz propane bottles. I have read a little bit on line about this and am not sure what to make out of it. Wondering if it works. Is it safe while refilling. Are they safe to store in your trailer while traveling, do refilled tanks leak more then new ones.

Let me know if you have any expereince.

Thanks
Matthew A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:00 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Perris Pacer
I bought a little adapter hose from Harbor Freight to fill them off of a big tank. It works great, no leaks. IIRC it was around $20.
Angelo F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:39 PM   #3

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Trillium Outback
Registry
Quote:
Has anyone had any experience refilling the 16 oz propane bottles. I have read a little bit on line about this and am not sure what to make out of it. Wondering if it works. Is it safe while refilling. Are they safe to store in your trailer while traveling, do refilled tanks leak more then new ones.
Yes I have re-used a few. Yes it works. It is as safe as it can be when transferring propane between containers. It is not something to be done inside any building or trailer. Be sure there is plenty of separation from any ignition source when transfering from big tank to little tank. Any propane that escapes is heavier than air and will settle unless there is wind to disperse it. Yes they are just as safe as new bottles to store in your trailer while traveling. The valves on the little bottles can fail with out warning. Failure may occur when attaching or detaching the bottle. Very seldom does the valve fail when just sitting.

Some people advise that it is not safe and to never do it. Their reasoning is that the bottles aren't sold as refillable by the manufacturer and are not certified by any government agency as refillable.

1998 K2500 Chevy Silverado 6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4X4, ext cab, short bed
Curtis F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:30 PM   #4

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
I've read somewhere that though it's legal to refill the disposable bottles, it's illegal to transport refilled ones in any vehicle. I just got a small Weber propane grill. Instead of carrying portable bottles, I got an adapter hose from Lowes for about $17. I have dual propane tanks on my trailer, I'm going to leave one of the tanks unconnected (but capped off), and use the adapter hose and grill on that unconnected tank when BBQ'ing. The propane auto-switch won't work anymore since only one is connected but it's not a big deal to pull out the wrench and swap them to the full tank. Don't know what you'll be powering with the small bottles but maybe you can look into an adapter hose?
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:04 PM   #5

Trailer: 2002 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Best $20.00 I ever spent at Harbor Freight. Follow the instructions which come with the device and you will have no problems. I use the bottles for a Coleman RoadTrip grill. After I've filled one a few times I discard it and pick up a newer one from the trash in whatever campground I'm in.
Jerry Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:11 PM   #6

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Trillium Outback
Registry
Federal Law 49 U.S.C.5124 prohibits the transportation of any re-filled disposable cylinder, subject to penalty up to $500,000 and 5 years imprisonment.
1998 K2500 Chevy Silverado 6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4X4, ext cab, short bed
Curtis F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:23 PM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs down

Quote:
Federal Law 49 U.S.C.5124 prohibits the transportation of any re-filled disposable cylinder, subject to penalty up to $500,000 and 5 years imprisonment.
Link to a discussion about this law
Link to the text of the actual law
Old 03-18-2010, 08:12 AM   #8

Trailer: 77 Scamp
owwwww an element of danger...I wasn't going to try filling them befor but me thinks I want to try....(j/k)

Quote:
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:45 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I have a friend who refills them when hunting. He has had a very few of them leak back through the valve (slowly). If my friend transports a refilled bottle he does it in the open bed of his pick up truck and leaves them outside when he gets home. In camp they normally fill several bottles at at time and they are stored in a milk crate away from the campers. At least that what my friend tells me.
"It' my story and I am sticking to it."
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 06:55 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I've never refilled any of the disposables, but have some friends that do it as a regular practice... until they had one leak propane. They've got a monster 5th wheel and the canister was in the "basement." We all know what happens when propane ignites... that was enough for them. No damage, but the possibility was enough. Based on that, if I was going to refill, I'd certainly do as Eddie mentioned, transport and store in the open air. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:42 PM   #11

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
I've read that the valves can leak. That kind of frightens me.

I just went a bought a smaller, 2.5 gallon refillable tank, a coleman "tree" and several connector hoses. I can hook up my lantern, portable grill and 3 burner coleman stove to it. I can run all three at once. If that tank empties, I have the two 5 gallon tanks on the trailer to use. I keep a couple of the disposables for emergencies (like the tank runs out and my steak is half done !!) I like the 2.5 gallon tank, cause it's easy to handle. I think the 2.5 gallon is about equal to about 8 or 10 of those little green ones.

Only down side, is the 2.5 gallon tank cost more than a 5 gallon tank to buy new. Go figure.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:19 PM   #12

Trailer: Trillium 4500
I installed a T in the propane line from the 20# tank mounted on the trailer. I use a longish hose to feed a lantern, stove, or grill. Bettter than buying and dealing with those finicky 1#ers.
David Schroeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:22 AM   #13

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
I was thinking about going the route of the T, I have two 20# tanks connected by an autoswitch. I could T between the autoswitch and regulator, but my neighbor did this and said he lost a lot of pressure with the line that he ran (again before the regulator so it is still high pressure). How long is the line you are running from your tank to your grill and what kind of line is it? I guess also how well does it work?
Matthew A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:16 PM   #14

Trailer: Trillium 4500
It is a 20' high pressure rubber gas line T'd between the tank and regulator. I don't see any pressure problems. It remains unregulated till it reaches the 1# cylinder like end. This end is the regulator for this line. Did your neighbor put another regulator on the line or maybe the end became fouled?
Dave
David Schroeder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane