diy Scamp screen door pattern - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2017, 06:50 PM   #1

Name: Tonnie
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
diy Scamp screen door pattern

Hi,

I've seen some cool bifold type screen doors that owners have made themselves for their Scamps. Quite a few were the same. Does anyone know where I can get the pattern to make one?

Thanks!
Tonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:09 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
You do know that Scamp made them in their factory and sold them as a factory option up until a few years ago, right? The large majority of Scamps from the early/mid 90's or so were sold with the screen door option, and they look DIY because they are made with common hardware store parts. It was only very recently (2015) that they switched to an outsourced roll-out screen from Plisse.

I don't think there is a general pattern out there because very few are actually homemade, and variations of door shape and size are such that most have to be custom fit to the application.

The basic procedure is (1) box in the door opening with 1" stock on the inside to make a flat, rectangular, vertical opening, (2) make the two screen panels to fit the opening, (3) hinge the two panels together, (4) attach with hinges to whichever side of the frame the door will fold toward, and (5) add pulls and a catch.

Step one is the hardest, and it will be different for each trailer. It usually involves cutting pieces of wood to fit the curve of a particular trailer. You also have to figure out how to attach it to the shell. Scamp's version has a sliding roller track on top. Most of the DIY imitations I've seen left that off. It's not essential. Some people use piano hinge; others (like Scamp) use several small box hinges.

If you have a chance, look at a Scamp first hand. There are plenty out there with the factory bi-fold screen door, so it shouldn't be hard to find one to check out. The principle is pretty simple, but the actual execution to fit a particular trailer takes some finesse.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 08:50 AM   #3

Name: Tonnie
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
Scamp screen door

Hi Jon,

Thanks for your response.

I didn't know that the screen doors were offered and what I am seeing may have come from the factory. I saw quite a few at the Scamp Camp in Florida.

I understand what you are describing and will give it a try!

Thanks,
Tondra
Tonnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp