Do I have a problem with my roof? - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2021, 11:37 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp 13 Layout 2
Missouri
Do I have a problem with my roof?

Purchased this 2016 Scamp 13 used two days ago, and I am concerned I may have a problem with my roof. The AC unit appears to be tilted towards the curb side an inch or so. I tried to take a photo of what I am seeing, but it may not show up well. Is this normal? The rest of the trailer is in beautiful condition. I checked the four mounting bolts for the AC and they are all snug and there are zero signs of a leak inside around the fan or air conditioner.
Attached Thumbnails
20211208_232525.jpg  
tradcatholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 11:51 PM   #2

Name: CalCop
Trailer: Casita
California
Level the trailer then put a bubble level on the AC. That would be my first test.
CalCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 11:53 PM   #3

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Maybe not

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradcatholic View Post
Purchased this 2016 Scamp 13 used two days ago, and I am concerned I may have a problem with my roof.
If there are no leaks and no damage it may just be the way it came out of the mold. Mine is a 2017 and has a small sag in the roof. I do support the roof with a pole when on long trips and rough roads. Is the space under the A/C to the roof the same all the way around? I'm not saying our roof pitch is a good thing, but may not hurt anything. Here is a close up of yours.
Attached Thumbnails
20211208_232525.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 12:12 AM   #4

Missouri
Great idea on checking around the AC unit for distance. I used a Bosch DLR130 laser distance meter, and put it against the roof on each side of the AC unit. I got between a 1/4" and 1/8" difference between each side. I took three measurements and they all showed between 1/4" and 1/8" difference. I'm thinking maybe it was built that way?
Old 12-10-2021, 08:46 AM   #5
GOB

Name: Michael
Trailer: Scamp 19
Missouri
Ac not level

From your picture it appears that the AC is installed off center of the roof which could lead to it being not level because the roof slopes for drainage. If it doesn't leak I would call it good.
GOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 08:56 AM   #6

Missouri
GOB,
You have good eyes! I actually sent the photo to Eveland's, and they responded almost immediately, and asked for me to measure the A/C. Sure enough, it is slightly off-center. I checked and it is centered in the hole that was cut. Scamp said that the hole is likely cut slightly off center, and said that moving it could damage the roof or the AC gasket, and confirmed that being off-center just a bit will not hurt or damage anything, as long as there are no leaks. We got rain last night and everything is bone dry inside and around the AC, so it seems I am all good! After 7 years of owning stickie RVs, I am really looking forward to adventures in my little egg, which I have dubbed "Shrimp Scampi"!

I just noticed the introductions section, so I suppose I should mosey on over there and formally introduce myself!
Old 12-15-2021, 11:36 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Registry
Before I purchased my Trillium I looked at two trailers with a rooftop AC units. Both appeared to cause the roof to sag, one had a spongy floor underneath it. After replacing the vent in my Trillium i realized there’s not a lot of structural strength in the roof. In general I think after market, roof mounted AC units on fiberglass trailers should be carefully checked out.
Thomas W is offline   Reply With Quote