Do we need Electric brakes - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2022, 11:52 PM   #21

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED SMAILES View Post
"It is even more important to modify driving habits when towing, which I seldom see any evidence of when observing traffic" the nugget.
The video was a perfect example of that!!

Fred, I'm wondering what you think you saw in the video?

It is a short video, here are some other details.

The location is 2 major highways merging @ 100 kph.
I had just pulled into the left lane because the right lane ends up ahead.
There was not any accidents or road debris ahead.

Near as I can figure is that either someone tried a zipper merge where they should not have or someone was doing a brake check.

coneybeare, I think you may have an installation or maintenance issue from lack of use. I suggest you find someone that services trailers locally for a 2nd opinion before dropping the $$ on new brakes. At the distances you have traveled, they should be just settling into their "groove".

I just uploaded the Dexter & Rockwell service manuals into the Document Center. https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...hp?do=cat&id=4

It may take a little time for them to appear as the page says: This file is in the moderation queue

Below is a screen snip of the Dexter Service Manual
Attached Thumbnails
Dexter_Service.jpg  
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 10:42 AM   #22

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
After watching the vid again several times, its a divided highway that has 2 lanes WELL into the distance. The driver just wanted past the semi that was most likely going at least the speed limit.
Show more of the vid to prove me wrong, I will humbly apologize.
Old 07-08-2022, 11:31 AM   #23

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED SMAILES View Post
After watching the vid again several times, its a divided highway that has 2 lanes WELL into the distance. The driver just wanted past the semi that was most likely going at least the speed limit.
Which driver, the one in the white car or the one with the dash cam?

On edit: I'm the driver with the dash cam. I checked the footage of the full clips. Knowing the right lane eventually ends, I had just changed lanes to get into the left lane that continues. That lane eventually becomes the right lane once the highways fully merge.

Files are too large to upload here or email. I'll see if we can upload them somewhere so you can view them.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 02:47 PM   #24

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Which driver, the one in the white car or the one with the dash cam?

On edit: I'm the driver with the dash cam. I checked the footage of the full clips. Knowing the right lane eventually ends, I had just changed lanes to get into the left lane that continues. That lane eventually becomes the right lane once the highways fully merge.

Files are too large to upload here or email. I'll see if we can upload them somewhere so you can view them.
youtube will take most any video.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 10:20 AM   #25

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
In Colorado the law for brakes is 1500lb or more, I made them up for our 16' U-Haul
Roger Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 10:24 AM   #26

Name: Dave
Trailer: boler 1978
British Columbia
I'm in BC too. I believe you'd fall under the rule below and do not require trailer brakes same as myself. I weighed a couple weeks ago with a full load at 1600 lbs including tongue weight. My boler came with brakes but the wires were cut and I've never used them. For sure you feel the weight when braking and its safer to have them.

I'm planning to replace the axle so I'll have to make the same decision on the brakes. I've been trying to knock the weight down as much as possible. Things like switching to lithium batteries, DC fridge, 5lb propane tank most of the time, replacing MDF with plywood. My kids don't all come camping anymore so that's less stuff. I'm not sure what the drums weight but I'd guess about 50lbs for the pair. I'm looking at buying a PHEV SUV for a tow vehicle sometime in the next couple years when what I want is available. That will probably be the deciding factor. Some smaller vehicles require trailer brakes and its usually at 1500 lbs and over. If you are planning on keeping your truck it should be fine.

British Columbia
Trailer Brake Requirements
  • Gross trailer weight of 1,400 kg (3,080 Ibs) or less - Brakes are required if the trailer and its load weigh more than 50% of the licensed weight of the vehicle towing it.
kip22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 11:19 AM   #27

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
All you have to do is make a panic stop on one of our mountain highways, glaze the brakes on your tow vehicle from the heat generated, and pay a mechanic for another brake job a couple weeks after you had a brake job. You'll be wishing you had brakes on the trailer.
Speaking from experience.
Old 07-13-2022, 11:38 AM   #28

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Here is another demonstration of why electric trailer brakes are a good idea.

Properly working electric trailer brakes can help in situations where you do not load your trailer properly as is very easy to do with all the CRAP everyone thinks they need to bring when going "Camping"!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 02:36 PM   #29

Name: Lynn
Trailer: Escape 19
Alberta
I had a Trillium 1300 without brakes and I towed it with a similar truck. I had no problems, but I drove cautiously and braked early. I was lucky that I never encountered a situation that required emergency braking. I now have a Trillium 4500 with brakes. I like it much better. I hardly know the trailer is behind me when I brake now. I am sure it is much easier on my tow vehicle brakes now.
As others have posted, the best thing you can do is properly fix the issues with your present braking system. There is no way they should be that problematic. Going to more expensive brakes might no resolve the issue. I would not be without trailer brakes again.
Lynn S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 03:22 PM   #30

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn.Curt.Wiebe View Post
You might not need brakes legally, but as described already, having them, working properly, when you need them is a necessity.

I never had a trailer with brakes before our 1978 Trillium 4500. One of the first things I did to the trailer was replace the brakes and wire them up correctly (PO had disconnected the wiring), and put a controller in our tv. It was not hard to do, and now I would never go without!

There is something wrong if they require servicing that often!

Anywhere I know of, if you have brakes you have to have them working to be fully legal.

One thing I am wondering is if someone talked them into instead of having a brake controller installed just wiring them in so that when the brake lights are on full power goes to the brakes. I have seen this a number of times. And yes it does not work well. Usually the brakes will not even last one trip.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes