Does a 10'x10' First Up clear the door on a Boler 1700? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-05-2013, 09:35 AM   #1

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
Does a 10'x10' First Up clear the door on a Boler 1700?

I am reading that it does clear a 13 footer but nothing on a 17 footer. From the pics of a 13 it seems to be lower than a 17. I know the tire size and wheel size on a 17 is 15 inches. I like the idea of putting a First Up next to the Boler or moving it out if wanted.
Does anyone know of another 10 x 10 or 12 x 12 sun shade that would clear the door on a 17 but still can be moved without the support of the campers?
ShawnKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:53 PM   #2

Name: C. Elaine
Trailer: Casita 2001 spirit
California
10 x 10 awning

Check out your local K-mart, they have a 10 x 10 on sale, was $49 but I got my mine for $29. My friend w/13 Casita bought one today in Riverside for $29. It is (4) poles but Tim Wood came up with a neat fit using a Gander Mt. awning.
Elaine
partslady9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:16 AM   #3

Florida
Elaine
My 17 footer is taller than a 13 f. So it will fit a 17?

The Kmart one is now 75.00 with 5.00 coupon. I had of these before and it worked great for what I used it for. But if it is the same it wouldn't fit over my door. Thanks
Old 06-06-2013, 05:59 AM   #4

Florida
I did find this if anyone knows about the Ozark brand. It has great reviews. Someone let me know if this is a good brand.
Ozark Trail 10 x 10 Straight Leg with 39 ft of LED Rope Light for 89.00 at Walmart, Here is the link.

Ozark Trail 10' x 10' Straight Leg Canopy with 39' LED Rope Light Value Bundle: Camping : Walmart.com

After reading the ad again it say it also comes with 2 Ozark chairs.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:04 AM   #5

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
The Ozark Trail at Walmart has a steel frame, weight 40lb. Packed, it has a sizable footprint, even in the bed of a truck. The legs are 4" shy of allowing sufficient height for the perimeter truss to clear the door on our Burro 17. All clones of this design are serviceable as a shade or rain shelter but not handy to set up and strike daily IMO.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:27 AM   #6

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Shawn, I agree with Rabbit. Have used the shelters for years, a 10 ft and or a 12 footer. The brand used is made by Quest.The 12 ft is at least 4 inches taller, as it is older. If you are camped for more than one night I would recommend using Bed riser's under the feet of the shelter. Have done this when camping for longer periods and it work's great. Bed riser's are those plastic things sold to put under you bed in all four corners to give it height. That way you can use any brand of shelter and you can still stake it down during a rain or storm. Just an FYI
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:56 AM   #7

Florida
Thanks Jack and Diane
A Wal Mart here I come. I thought that was a good price on the set. The LED lights are selling for 40.00 along. So the canopy chairs and lights for 89 sounds like a great deal. Now if I can only make it back down to Ikea for my LED light for the inside......
Old 06-07-2013, 11:21 AM   #8

Florida
Just got my Wally World bundle in just now. Great price and yes I know the frame is steel. That is one reason I bought it. My only Bit*h is I didn't get my 2 arm chairs.lol I am on the phone with them now and they said it was there bad because the ad should.nt have 2 chairs in it. I am on my 3rd person trying to get my chairs lol.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:47 PM   #9

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Davis View Post
Shawn, I agree with Rabbit. Have used the shelters for years, a 10 ft and or a 12 footer. The brand used is made by Quest.The 12 ft is at least 4 inches taller, as it is older. If you are camped for more than one night I would recommend using Bed riser's under the feet of the shelter. Have done this when camping for longer periods and it work's great. Bed riser's are those plastic things sold to put under you bed in all four corners to give it height. That way you can use any brand of shelter and you can still stake it down during a rain or storm. Just an FYI
How do you stake it down with the bed risers under the legs?
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:42 PM   #10

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Bobbie, both of my Quest shelters have tie downs attached to the corners of the top. Maybe other brands do or don't have these? Maybe if yours does not have tiedowns then I would drill some holes thru the plastic bed risers and attach something that works, you could stake the risers if they had holes on bottom. Or Run a rope thru the corners of the shelter then stake to ground.
Most of the time I have rarely had to stake my shelters anyway.
Although, once in a lifetime thing may happen...like the Derrachio storm that came through here last spring, Many campers and trailers were damaged and their shelters got torn up. In that kind of wind...take the thing down, hide in the camp Bathroom with 25 other campers and crying babies, and remember to pay the insurance on the camper. HA! Ask me how I know this.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:58 PM   #11

Florida
If you rather buy a set
Leg Extensions - EZ UP Shelters - Van Raalte & Co, Inc 800-286-0030

I heard you can make them out of PVC but I yet to see it.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:14 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnKK View Post
Just got my Wally World bundle in just now. Great price and yes I know the frame is steel. That is one reason I bought it. My only Bit*h is I didn't get my 2 arm chairs.lol I am on the phone with them now and they said it was there bad because the ad should.nt have 2 chairs in it. I am on my 3rd person trying to get my chairs lol.
I was just going to say, online it doesn't mention chairs.

Can you set that up and measure the height of the sides? Please? I see it has screens available so it would make a nice screen house if size works.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:18 PM   #13

Florida
The web site does say chairs. Even WM said it does or did. Let me ck .
Ozark Trail 10' x 10' Straight Leg Canopy and 2 Ozark Trail Arm Chairs Value Bundle includes:
  • 1 Ozark Trail 10' x 10' Straight Leg Canopy
  • 1 Ozark Trail 39' LED Rope Light, Cool White
It did say it twice in the ad but they took down one but still says it.
I will go set it up just for you. I did plug in the rope lites and they were nice. BRB
Old 06-07-2013, 02:31 PM   #14

Registry
Weird, not on mine. When I click on the link I get the 10 x 10 canopy and LED light but no chairs. Must have something to do with locations. I can search and find a link for chairs and no LED lights. Or a more expensive bundle with folding table and cooler. But nothing with chairs and LED light.

I'm really only interested in the canopy. Does anyone have the mesh or rain walls for it?

And thanks, Shawn!
Old 06-07-2013, 02:40 PM   #15

Florida
OK, Bobbie.
I just set it up in the drive way and the answer is 6ft2 at the lowest and 6ft5 at the highest. The poles cross so..
The last one I had I kept the canopy on the frame so I did on this one too. Not sure why everyone else take the canopy off? Fits right back in the case. It is very nice, bigger than my last one. I was thinking maybe a 12x12 but I think this one will work good. I will have to raise it up at least on one end. The end of the sq legs is 3/4 inch so something that is 3/4 will fit in there to raise it if you put it next to the egg.
There was a warning on it saying not to use next or near a Trails West camper! Not sure what that was all about but.

It has been years and years since I put one of these things up. And it came back to me. One person can do it with very little problem if they know how to do it. 2 peeps would be better but not worth asking the wife to help! If you know what I mean...
Old 06-07-2013, 02:52 PM   #16

Registry
Now I have to go measure. And maybe set up the existing one to see what height it is. Thanks, Shawn. I haven't tried the canopy I have here by the door but I know the EZ up was too short. I suspect this is too, but the bed risers might do the trick.

I have a cheapo something or other here- EZ Up in Fresno but the roof is worn out. The one here is 8 x 10 and much easier to set up than the EZ Up. But I don't have tent walls or screen walls for either one, and I'd really like at least tent walls for those colder days.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:01 PM   #17

Florida
Now, what I am thinking (oh H*ll), I bought 2 of those sun sail shades (23.00) at Costco and if I can't (some camp grounds) put the Ozark up next to the camper I could put that off to the side for rain and sun protection and have the Sun Sails attached to it and the camper. Did you get to look at the Sun Shades? They are 11 ft 10 inches. Maybe not good for the rain but works for the sun.
Coolaroo Ready-to-Hang Shade Sail 11' 10" Triangle
Old 06-07-2013, 03:05 PM   #18

Registry
My door is at 71 inches so it looks like it would work. Hmm... I guess I should measure the existing one but since the idea is to get sidewalls it really may not matter. The EZ up ALMOST worked but not quite.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:07 PM   #19

Name: Letitia
Trailer: 2011 Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnKK View Post
OK, Bobbie.
I just set it up in the drive way and the answer is 6ft2 at the lowest and 6ft5 at the highest. The poles cross so..
The last one I had I kept the canopy on the frame so I did on this one too. Not sure why everyone else take the canopy off? Fits right back in the case. It is very nice, bigger than my last one. I was thinking maybe a 12x12 but I think this one will work good. I will have to raise it up at least on one end. The end of the sq legs is 3/4 inch so something that is 3/4 will fit in there to raise it if you put it next to the egg.
There was a warning on it saying not to use next or near a Trails West camper! Not sure what that was all about but.

It has been years and years since I put one of these things up. And it came back to me. One person can do it with very little problem if they know how to do it. 2 peeps would be better but not worth asking the wife to help! If you know what I mean...
...ummmm, no, we don't "know what you mean"....care to elaborate??
2011 Eggcamper #106
Letitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:10 PM   #20

Florida
71inches? From the ground? Wow.
Well good on ya! I think Donna said use one of those pool noodles to go against your camper which is very smart. I will get one myself (thanks Donna). The rope lites comes with stuff to attach to the canopy if you buy from Wally World.

Tags
boler