does NADA guide undervalue fiberglass eggs - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2019, 01:50 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 13 ft Trillium (USA)
does NADA guide undervalue fiberglass eggs

Folks,

I am trying to establish a fair price to sell my 2009 13 ft. Trillium with no AC or bath. I hardly used it over the past 10 years and it's in excellent condition. You can see it in 3 different ads so I could show more pictures. Since my Trillium is not listed in the NADA guide, I used a similar Casita in '09. The estimate it's worth around $5000. That seems awfully low. I am asking $11,500. I want to be realistic about the price. Am I way too high? Any suggestions about a price that you believe will fetch a buyer without me giving it away.
lloyd cicetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 02:09 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
NADA is very low. I would search the sale archives here and at fiberglass-rv-4sale.com, looking for similar units for sale over the last few years. Yours is a pretty rare model- is it a Trillium Outback or a Trillium Sidekick? Values are pretty similar for both. Location and season also factor in: spring is higher than fall, and large urban areas on the coasts tend to fetch premium prices.

Best wishes on your research and sale!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 02:27 PM   #3

Jon, it's a custom build by a guy named Tom Young who had the rights to the original Trillium molds made in Markham, Ontario in the 70's and early 80's. If you don't mind, could you look at my ad and give me an honest estimate? It really is a nice rig with custom 2 way shades and cabinetry. I will check out the archives as you suggested...thanks for your input...Lloyd in Columbus Ohio
Old 05-09-2019, 02:28 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
NADA means nada when it comes to all-molded-towables. It's due to the fact, so very many trailers are through private sales and there's no way for NADA to track actual sale prices.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 02:35 PM   #5

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
The only good thing about NADA is that when you go to the DMV they look up the value and tax you accordingly. If they want to tell me my trailer is worth $1500 I'm not going to argue with them.
Old 05-09-2019, 03:24 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
The only good thing about NADA is that when you go to the DMV they look up the value and tax you accordingly. If they want to tell me my trailer is worth $1500 I'm not going to argue with them.
The bad thing is insurance companies use it too. That means the fight is on!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:01 PM   #7

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd cicetti View Post
Jon, it's a custom build by a guy named Tom Young who had the rights to the original Trillium molds made in Markham, Ontario in the 70's and early 80's. If you don't mind, could you look at my ad and give me an honest estimate? It really is a nice rig with custom 2 way shades and cabinetry. I will check out the archives as you suggested...thanks for your input...Lloyd in Columbus Ohio
Tom Young sounds like Trillium Sidekick. Maybe this was built before that venture. Does it have jalousie windows front and back? You might do some searching for Trillium Sidekicks and see how yours compares. They would be newer, of course.

I’ll also take a look at your ad because I’m curious, but my lawyerly temperament hesitates to get too specific on value.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:38 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
The bad thing is insurance companies use it too. That means the fight is on!
Not to mention if you needed to have a bank fund it.
Old 05-09-2019, 05:23 PM   #9

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
On the modern stuff, no AC and no bath are big negatives.

I would go to fiberglass rv for sale site as well and look at sold trailers.

Ultimately, the market decides. We are entering prime camping season, so if interest doesn't pick up, then price should be adjusted.

On a niche product like a FG trailer, NADA should be ignored. Sadly, buyers may refer to it and bring it up.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 06:07 PM   #10

Arizona
Registry
Lack of a bath is not a big drawback in a 13’ trailer, and the front dinette is desirable. Agree lack of A/C may be a drawback in the Midwest.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:05 AM   #11
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Folks,

I am trying to establish a fair price to sell my 2009 13 ft. Trillium with no AC or bath. I hardly used it over the past 10 years and it's in excellent condition. You can see it in 3 different ads so I could show more pictures. Since my Trillium is not listed in the NADA guide, I used a similar Casita in '09. The estimate it's worth around $5000. That seems awfully low. I am asking $11,500. I want to be realistic about the price. Am I way too high? Any suggestions about a price that you believe will fetch a buyer without me giving it away.
I've got a 2010 also sold by Tom Young. The trailers were made, at least in part, by various outfits including Escape. Mine was made by Mattman Specialty in southern California. Sidekick came later (2014 I think) but using the same molds. Considering that Trilliums made 40 years ago by the original manufacture in Ontario are selling for up to $7000, I would say your price is a good starting point assuming the trailer is in good shape. The frame is stronger, the axle shouldn't need replacing, and it comes with the Dometic 3 burner stove sink combo that is very popular. Unlike the Outback, it comes with jalousie windows on all four sides. And since you are the original owner, it won't be filled with multiple owner mods and fixes.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 06:29 AM   #12

Jon, Tom Young was on his own in 2007 and 08 when he started putting a few together. Mine was one of about 5 protypes that he built himself before he sold the molds to Sidekick or Outback, I'm not really sure. Yes, it has the jalousie windows which are really nice. So far one ad got 125 views in 36 hrs. but no one is "watching". Would you guess that's because the price may be too high?
Old 05-10-2019, 06:32 AM   #13

Raz, I have emailed Tom Young a number of times to order a part but he never replies. His website, TrilliumRV is still up and running and he sells parts. Do you know if he is no longer in business? Do you think $11,500 is reasonable? If not, I will take advice and lower the price if necessary.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:51 AM   #14

Arizona
Registry
The whole history of Tom Young and his several attempts to revive the original Trillium is a bit of a muddle in my mind. They were built in CA for a while, then in AZ, and then in AL, though I don’t know if any were ever sold there before he folded. A good trailer that didn’t quite get off the ground. Websites often get left up long after a small business closes.

Trilliums are a premium design, and they have always cost more than a Boler or Scamp, limiting their market. If you are looking for a quick sale, you might have to come down. Something just under $10K would get a lot more people interested.

But in my opinion the value is there to justify your price, and if you are patient (and take some better interior photos that highlight the premium features and design), I think you can get close to your asking price. Pictures make or break an ad: marketing 101.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:10 AM   #15
Raz

Quote:
Raz, I have emailed Tom Young a number of times to order a part but he never replies. His website, TrilliumRV is still up and running and he sells parts. Do you know if he is no longer in business? Do you think $11,500 is reasonable? If not, I will take advice and lower the price if necessary.
Thats about where I would start.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:43 AM   #16
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
The whole history of Tom Young and his several attempts to revive the original Trillium is a bit of a muddle in my mind. They were built in CA for a while, then in AZ, and then in AL, though I don’t know if any were ever sold there before he folded. A good trailer that didn’t quite get off the ground. Websites often get left up long after a small business closes.
There are several threads attempting to road map the Tom Young/Trilliumrv journey with conflicting information, so confusion is understandable. As I said, mine was made by Mattman which was funded by a venture capital company. Mattman made Trilliums as a side line in southern California for about two years. Sales were slow, with fit and finish that could have been better. I had numerous warranty issues that were ignored. I think that was common. Tom Young moved to Arizona and built trailers on his own selling through dealers. Apparently the quality didn't improve, and soon that venture folded. Great West Vans bought the molds, rights, what ever and first made Trillium Sidekicks in Canada but when the pipes froze at the plant they moved to Alabama. Sidekick models were model years 2014 and 2015. And where are the molds??? Sold at auction in Alabama is what someone said.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:43 AM   #17

Jon, your input has been invaluable since you are familiar with Trillium's history and Tom Young. He literally delievered my Trillium from California and another time flew to Ohio to fix a welded joint that broke for my bike rack. He stayed overnight at my house both times. I will do as you say and be a bit paitient on the price. I checked out the ads on fiberglass rvs 4 sale.com and you are right. A decent 1976 Trillium without AC or bath is asking $9,600. I will bring my price down the closer I get to June 1. Thanks so much...Lloyd
Old 05-10-2019, 07:50 AM   #18

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Its really simple. Molded FG trailers just about sell themselves. So if you have had it for sale for a while with no bites, time to lower the price.

How bad do you want to move on? Under $10,000 would garner more interest. Small price moves will have very little impact IMHO.

You can see new-ish Trilliums that have sold on the fiberglass for sale site. Convert $$ from Canadian to US and you will see prices below yours. Not many buyers will do that research either.

The vintage market is not a good comparison. People are attracted to vintage trailers and won't be attracted to the new stuff. On the other hand, there are people that are attracted to the new stuff that won't touch the vintage stuff. In the end, two totally separate markets.

Early versions of the new Trillium had frame issues. They also, surprising to me, did not address some of the key design flaws of the old ones, like door hinge mounting. A savvy buyer will want to look close at that (not many buyers are that savvy)...
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:22 AM   #19

Registry
"They were built in CA for a while, then in AZ, and then in AL"

Don't forget the stop in Northern Nevada outside of Carson City.

These trailers are worth just what someone is willing to pay for one. Unfortunately the higher the price the smaller the market of folks who have the disposable cash on hand to purchase it. Without an accurate "blue book" banks are not going to fund a 10 year old trailer.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:23 AM   #20

Arizona
Registry
Right. And it comes down to how much effort you want to put into reconditioning and marketing and how long you’re willing to wait for that “someone.”

As a buyer, I love lazy, impatient sellers! I bought my 4 year old Scamp for $4000 from one.