Dogs, Campers, and the US/Canada Border - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2007, 12:50 AM   #1

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
We're considering traveling to Canada with our standard poodle, Lex. Does anyone know what's required to travel north and south across the border? Web links?

--Peter
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:19 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler
Quote:
We're considering traveling to Canada with our standard poodle, Lex. Does anyone know what's required to travel north and south across the border? Web links?

--Peter

Hi,
You have to prove recent vaccinations / rabies by showing a certificate.
ErinLeighRobichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:27 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
What he said . . . it's really pretty straightforward.
I've heard that some folks have had questions about dog food (or not been allowed to bring a specific brand across) - but I've never had any questions or trouble.
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:42 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Trillium
Quote:

--Peter
Hi Peter,

We just discussed this very topic on the "Loonies Only" thread for the Ft. Langlely meet. Mike H. sent this very comprehensive post.....he works at the border and is the one doing the checking so he knows!! Handy Huh?

Sharon

Quote:
Hi,
Can't speak for Canada, but here's what you'll need to re-enter the United States.

Passports are the best ID at the Border.
Second best is a Government Issued ID with a photo, like a Driver's License. AND your Birth Certificate.
For the Kids, a Birth Cert and School ID is fine.

Dogs should have a Vet card, but in 11 years I've never checked.

Registration and proof of insurance on all vehicles.

The Lynden/Aldergrove border crossing is the best one to cross at right now. It's open from 8am-Midnight.
If you take the Guide Merdian Exit off I-5, be aware that construction is going on while they widen the Guide.
A good detour is to go a bit farther north to the Birch Bay Lynden Road and then go east to Lynden and the Guide Meridian.

There is work going on at the Blaine Truck Crossing and work will start in Sept on the Peach Arch Crossing. Expect delays at both crossings.

Last cheap gas is at the Safeway and the AM/PM on the Guide Meridian. Both are about 3 miles south of the Lynden Crossing near the Birch Bay Lynden Road. Gas is around $4.00gal in Canada.

Coming back into the US.
No Beef, Lamb, Citris or Tropical Fruits.
Locally grown fruit in season is OK.
Sharon Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 01:14 PM   #5

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
I don't think bringing dogfood INTO Canada is an issue but I believe taking it BACK into the U.S. could be an issue so you want to ask at the American side BEFORE you come into Canada. You might want to carry only a limited supply with you (use it all up) or be prepared to leave it behind.

My experiences with border officials on BOTH sides of the border ALL seem to indicate W H O you talk with at the border or office. Many times I've been told one thing, acted on that information, only to get to the border and the agent I've talked with then at the border LAUGHS at me and asks me where I got such 'wrong' information from.
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 04:38 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I believe the dog food problem isn't dog food per se, but what ingredients are in it when coming back into the US. They are looking for fresh stuf, or non-canned stuf, that has Angry Bovine germs, bird flus, etc., so they are looking for meats, eggs, etc. I doubt that canned dog food or a sack of dry dog food is going to be a problem (not certain about the dry stuf however, esp if it has been put in a different container.

Might want to find the US gummint site for restricted items.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 06:12 PM   #7

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
Quote:

--Peter

Our experience with crossings in New York, Michigan and Maine is that you should have a certificate of vaccination for rabies.
Dog food coming into Canada is a non-issue. Dog food coming into the U.S. should be in the original sealed bag. We find it amusing because our dog's food is made in the U.S. and contains fish for it's protein and it still needs to be in a sealed bag.

Sometimes they ask to see it and sometimes they don't. We've found it easiest to just bring the amount we need or since it's a common brand (Wellness), buy it when we get there.
In your case, just keep a small bag closed for the return across the border and have just enough for your stay.

So what part of Canada are you thinking of visiting?
Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 06:14 PM   #8

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
I believe the dog food problem isn't dog food per se, but what ingredients are in it when coming back into the US. They are looking for fresh stuf, or non-canned stuf, that has Angry Bovine germs, bird flus, etc., so they are looking for meats, eggs, etc. I doubt that canned dog food or a sack of dry dog food is going to be a problem (not certain about the dry stuf however, esp if it has been put in a different container.

Might want to find the US gummint site for restricted items.
Oops, Didnt realize Carol Ann was replying at the same time. Sorry for the duplications.

This has been discussed here already. I just added a reply there thinking it was to this thread. The border guys were very interested in our [b] DRY dog food. We did have the labels from the 50 Lb. bag of "fish" based dog food, made in the US, but did not have a sealed package because we only took enough for a weekend. The guard was a dog owner himself and let us through with only a warning to buy a small sealed bag for our next trip across the border. The rules then said he could confiscate the food.

Here is a link that describes the basics for crossing from NY to ON or back:
http://www.lockport-ny.com/Tourism/customs.htm
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 09:45 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Quote:

--Peter

For the 4 leged family membrs you need a current Rabies vaccine with a certificate and tag to prove it. That is all you need to go into Canada and come back into Washington by private auto, RV, trailer etc.

You will find all you would ever need to know or even want to know on these two ooooficial web sites.

One is international and the other is USA.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/ncie/iregs/animals/

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/sregs/
Jim Sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 07:54 AM   #10

Trailer: '77 Triple E Surfside
Quote:
For the 4 leged family membrs you need a current Rabies vaccine with a certificate and tag to prove it. That is all you need to go into Canada and come back into Washington by private auto, RV, trailer etc.

You will find all you would ever need to know or even want to know on these two ooooficial web sites.

One is international and the other is USA.
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/ncie/iregs/animals/

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/sregs/

I can tell you that this past weekend my wife and I headed from Manitoba en route to Lake Bronson State Park in Lake Bronson, Minnesota and at the US Customs in Pembina, North Dakota we had to show our dogs current rabbies vaccination papers (this is Very common and it is a must for all travellers going into the USA) and we had our dry Dog food contaminated because we placed his weekend supply of food in an empty ice cream pail. The Ag. officer at the Border told me that because the food wasn't in a package with the ingredients clearly labeled he'd have to confiscate it because the food may contain Mad Cow Disease. We also had a small ziplock bag of milkbones with us and he actually told me that he was allowed to let us keep some food on us and it would be my choice so I chose to keep the milkbones.
This all happened plus all of the usual questions such as - Do you have any beef on you? Do you have any hot dogs that may contain beef, do you have any fruits with you?? Is each piece labeled? What types of vegetables do you have with you? etc.

So to the say the least it is frustrating in some ways since there are campgrounds within an hour or so drive from where we live and it would be nice to be able to take certain things with you and not have to buy them in the states when we cross etc. However I do understand the possible problems that some foods can cause. But with Dog food since he let me keep some food (the treats), and when he returned the ice cream pail there was still some food in it??? I don't fully understand? I mean, so my dog eats at home and once we are in America at our campground maybe he goes to the bathroom? Has he not contaminated an area with possible Mad Cow disease? And why let me keep ANY food if this is such a huge problem? I even told the officer that our food is Purina Pro-Plan and probably even made in the USA but without the labels we learned our lesson. So long story short - when we crossed we found a small town and purchased a small bag of dog food to tide us over for the weekend.
ericmarlo is offline   Reply With Quote