Dometic 3 way fridge losing cool on propane - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-16-2021, 02:18 PM   #1

Name: Maria
Trailer: Parkliner 2018
Maryland
Dometic 3 way fridge losing cool on propane

Hive mind help? The only 6x I've had my 2018/19 Parkliner (new to me) out the Dometic 3way fridge has worked flawlessly on propane. I've run it on propane because I heard here that it's colder on gas than electric, and indeed I've had ice crystals on liquids I've had at the rear near the metal/aluminum 'flanges'?

I've been out for 6 days and it's been fine, ran it on gas at 2 campgrounds and while towing until yesterday, the last stop. Upon setting up I noticed that during the tow it had gone from 38 to 44 and it kept climbing. It's level, gas is definitely on but not having any effect.
Sun is not hitting the vent (where you take off the 'door' to start/turn on).
The vent to the left of that, about 5" square that also protrudes about 1/2" that says "HOT" is not even warm.
Any clues as to what is happening? I don't think that a short stop at the Kitchen Witch would have had an affect. Or would it?
Many thanks.
Maria in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 02:33 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Two comments:

- As you have probably observed, gas absorption fridges such as the Dometic 3 way fridge require 24 hours or so to cool down to operating temperature after being turned on. At that point, the fridge temperature will fluctuate based on ambient temperature, generally staying 30 to 40 degrees below ambient temperature. Also these fridges require long temperature recovery time after being opened and after additional warm items are added to the fridge.

- The two vents immediately left of the door are the fridge vents. The upper vent should be warm to hot when the fridge is running. The small vent further to the left labelled HOT is the furnace vent.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 02:54 PM   #3

Maryland
Thanks John. It's been running fine for 6 days. It's only after/during yesterday's tow to a different campground that the issue began. I'm stumped ::sigh:: I think I'll try to switch it over to electric to see what happens. Many thanks.
Old 07-17-2021, 11:23 AM   #4
GOB

Name: Michael
Trailer: Scamp 19
Missouri
Fridge on gas

Plenty of gas in tank? Try switching tanks. Regulator could have gone bad.
GOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 11:51 AM   #5

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Oregon

Maybe the flame blew out while driving.
Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 11:56 AM   #6

Name: David
Trailer: Casita 17 SD
California
Clean the jet.
CasitaMiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 11:56 AM   #7

Name: Keith
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
I would guess the flame is out, whether blown out or out of gas.

Also, I haven’t noticed a huge difference between gas and AC, especially once the fridge is cool. I always switch to AC if available. Therefore, I don’t know if I could run my fridge for six days off propane alone. That seems like a tall ask.

I’d check the pilot first and then the tank. But I’d certainly check both.
Keith2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 12:11 AM   #8

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 2003 13' Scamp
Minnesota
I will echo others, guessing the propane blew out, mine does every time I try to use it while pulling the trailer. You can tell by looking at where the propane burns, or feeling for heat
jeffminnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 08:57 AM   #9

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Our propane fridge in our 2001 Scamp 16' quite often quit working going down the road. I added a baffle for driving down the road and it never quit working again.

If you're driving down the road your outside vent will never get hot driving down the road, since it's cooled with the 60+mph air. It should get warm when at your campsite though.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs - 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, that we regret selling, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we also regret selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 09:44 AM   #10

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 2003 13' Scamp
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
Our propane fridge in our 2001 Scamp 16' quite often quit working going down the road. I added a baffle for driving down the road and it never quit working again.

If you're driving down the road your outside vent will never get hot driving down the road, since it's cooled with the 60+mph air. It should get warm when at your campsite though.

Enjoy,

Perry
Perry: that sounds like a worthwhile modification, I think the fridge stays colder on propane than it does on DC, would you have a picture Perry?
thanks, Jeff
jeffminnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 11:18 AM   #11

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Ours only works proper on 12v while driving. It has the be cold prior to 12v switch to not drain the battery and works well during trip. At sites the 110v and propane seem to cool the same. We use propane for when shore power is not available.

P.S. we did once have to replace the regulator, drain gunk out of the lines to fix propane problems. New regulator volume had to be professionally adjusted after install. Stove, furnace, hot water tank, and fridge did not all work correctly until gas volume adjustment was made at the regulator. Also had the fridge flame setup at this time.
Old 08-27-2021, 11:37 AM   #12

Name: Nigel
Trailer: In the market
Ontario
It sounds like the flame blew out while driving. I have an older trailer and if my propane runs out or if the igniter is unable to light the propane after a few tries the fridge shuts down for safety and a check light comes on beside the on/off switch. Turn the fridge off for a couple of seconds and then back on. If you listen carefully you will probably hear the spark and the burner start.

Nigel
NigelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 07:28 PM   #13

Maryland

Thank you all for your responses. I have answered as follows to new replies. I will post if successful - or not - on my DIY as CasitaMiner and others on this forum have done.

“Plenty of gas in tank? Try switching tanks. Regulator could have gone bad.”
GOB – yes, plenty of gas. Blue flame, chimney hot, hot. Stove works fine on the same tank.++++

“Maybe the flame blew out while driving.”
SLIM, it was lit, the chimney was hot, hot, flame blue.++++

“Clean the jet.”
CASITAMiner, yes that is going to be my next move. I have the manual, read the pertinent part until I’ve got it memorized and watched youtube vids. I think I’m up to the task but at any rate, I have nothing to lose.++++

“I’d check the pilot first and then the tank. But I’d certainly check both.”
Keith2000, flame on, tanks full. As far as running the fridge on propane, last season I ran it 4 weeks, 1 tank and still had gas in the tank. I did my cooking outside on an electric skillet, but fridge on propane the whole time.++++

“I will echo others, guessing the propane blew out, mine does every time I try to use it while pulling the trailer. You can tell by looking at where the propane burns, or feeling for heat”
JEFFMINNESOTA flame was on and blue. It has never blown out while towing and the chimney was hot, hot.++++

“If you're driving down the road your outside vent will never get hot driving down the road, since it's cooled with the 60+mph air. It should get warm when at your campsite though.”
PERRYB67, the chimney was hot upon arriving, remained hot, flame on, while setting up. After an hour it had warmed up some more with flame on and chimney hot. I switched over to AC but it does not cool as cold as when on propane.++++

“Ours only works proper on 12v while driving. It has the be cold prior to 12v switch to not drain the battery and works well during trip. At sites the 110v and propane seem to cool the same. We use propane for when shore power is not available.”
BORDEN, the only time I’ve run it on 12v while driving, my house battery was deader than a doornail. Didn’t damage it according to the folks that charged it, so I will need to check to see if the truck is charging it through the 7pin.++++

“It sounds like the flame blew out while driving. I have an older trailer and if my propane runs out or if the igniter is unable to light the propane after a few tries the fridge shuts down for safety and a check light comes on beside the on/off switch. Turn the fridge off for a couple of seconds and then back on. If you listen carefully you will probably hear the spark and the burner start.”
Nigel

NIGELW, flame on (sounds like the Torch from the Fantastic Four, right)? And chimney hot. Stove works fine on the same tank. I think I’m going to chance cleaning the jet as CasitaMiner has suggested and a few have done which has fixed the fridge on propane problem.++++

Tags
fridge, parkliner, propane