Dometic 3 way fridge losing cool on propane - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2021, 02:18 PM   #1

Name: Maria
Trailer: Parkliner 2018
Maryland
Dometic 3 way fridge losing cool on propane

Hive mind help? The only 6x I've had my 2018/19 Parkliner (new to me) out the Dometic 3way fridge has worked flawlessly on propane. I've run it on propane because I heard here that it's colder on gas than electric, and indeed I've had ice crystals on liquids I've had at the rear near the metal/aluminum 'flanges'?

I've been out for 6 days and it's been fine, ran it on gas at 2 campgrounds and while towing until yesterday, the last stop. Upon setting up I noticed that during the tow it had gone from 38 to 44 and it kept climbing. It's level, gas is definitely on but not having any effect.
Sun is not hitting the vent (where you take off the 'door' to start/turn on).
The vent to the left of that, about 5" square that also protrudes about 1/2" that says "HOT" is not even warm.
Any clues as to what is happening? I don't think that a short stop at the Kitchen Witch would have had an affect. Or would it?
Many thanks.
Maria in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 02:33 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Two comments:

- As you have probably observed, gas absorption fridges such as the Dometic 3 way fridge require 24 hours or so to cool down to operating temperature after being turned on. At that point, the fridge temperature will fluctuate based on ambient temperature, generally staying 30 to 40 degrees below ambient temperature. Also these fridges require long temperature recovery time after being opened and after additional warm items are added to the fridge.

- The two vents immediately left of the door are the fridge vents. The upper vent should be warm to hot when the fridge is running. The small vent further to the left labelled HOT is the furnace vent.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 02:54 PM   #3

Name: Maria
Trailer: Parkliner 2018
Maryland
Thanks John. It's been running fine for 6 days. It's only after/during yesterday's tow to a different campground that the issue began. I'm stumped ::sigh:: I think I'll try to switch it over to electric to see what happens. Many thanks.
Maria in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 11:23 AM   #4
GOB

Name: Michael
Trailer: Scamp 19
Missouri
Fridge on gas

Plenty of gas in tank? Try switching tanks. Regulator could have gone bad.
GOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 11:51 AM   #5

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Oregon
Dometic 3 way fridge losing cool on propane

Maybe the flame blew out while driving.
Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 11:56 AM   #6

Name: David
Trailer: Casita 17 SD
California
Clean the jet.
CasitaMiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 11:56 AM   #7

Name: Keith
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
I would guess the flame is out, whether blown out or out of gas.

Also, I haven’t noticed a huge difference between gas and AC, especially once the fridge is cool. I always switch to AC if available. Therefore, I don’t know if I could run my fridge for six days off propane alone. That seems like a tall ask.

I’d check the pilot first and then the tank. But I’d certainly check both.
Keith2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, parkliner, propane