Dometic Fridge - Again - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2011, 11:10 PM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: Triple E
British Columbia
Dometic Fridge - Again

Anyone know what model Dometic fridge was normally installed in a 73 Surf Side Triple E, 13 foot? Darned if I can find it on the appliance..Where is it?

Second, anyone know of a replacement fridge that will fit in the hole?

Last, it seems to work ok on the ac and dc but the lpg is very weak. Any ideas?

Thanks, Tom
thostorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:37 PM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 1977 17' Boler
Saskatchewan
Fridge not working on LP

Hi Tom,

You need to use a manometer to check that there is enough gas pressure at the orfice. I beleive that it is around 11 cm of water pressure. If everything is working on 110 volt, then I would check this out. These fridges usually require yearly maintenance. Spiders like the smell of LP gas and can form nests that can plug up the works. As well as you may have a partially blocked orfice. Do not go poking at the orfice with anything metal, you can damage them. They need to be cleaned with solvent. Sometimes just a good shot of air and blow everything out behind the fridge is needed. If the 110 volt is keeping the fridge cold then I think you can ruke out the spiral flue that runs down the middle of the chimney.
LP gas is alowed to have a certain percentage of oil in it. This can settle out of the LP gas and end up blocking a line. The you have to disconect your lines from each appliance and blow from the furthest one first and work your way back to the tanks. First you have to disconnect the line just after the regulator. You do not want to blow any oil into that. If your stove flame is burning fine and has a steady bluish flame then I would start with the orfice. If the flame at the stove is not a good flame and bounces alot, and is not a bluish tinge then I would start at the regulator and replace that first. Regulators go on a regular basis. So that maybe the problem. Keep us posted

Greg Boler77
Boler77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:17 PM   #3

British Columbia
Thanks for that Greg. I was able to find out that the model is an RM211 and can be replaced by model RM2193, I'll keep working on it......

Tom
Old 09-21-2011, 06:52 PM   #4

Name: Martin
Trailer: Trillium 4500 1977
Quebec
Registry
Wink installing-a-21-deep-fridge-into-a-19-space

Quote:
Originally Posted by thostorey View Post
Thanks for that Greg. I was able to find out that the model is an RM211 and can be replaced by model RM2193, I'll keep working on it......
Tom
Hi Tom, I posted pictures and detailed explanations on how to perform such conversion (RM211 to Norcold 323 which is the same size than RM2193). Posting is found on this forum:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...0-a-48267.html

The whole idea is that old fridge is roughly 3 inches shorter than the smallest current models from Norcold or Dometic. Without modifications, interior space is compromised by 3 inches and it is very ugly. By creating an exterior extension that matches the exterior dimensions, you can blend the new fridge with the interior and exterior to make it look good and convenient.

The only change in your case is the fact you already have the gas connector on the left side if you replace with a newer Dometic Fridge. Everything else is the same. Make sure your two stages gas regulator is in good condition, because fridge gas jet requires an accurate 11" water column of gas pressure to work properly. If you have doubts, it is likely cheaper to replace than to have it tested.

Food for toughts !
Old 09-22-2011, 12:36 AM   #5

British Columbia
Hi Martin, I missed that little 3 inch discrepancy Hmmm..but I think with your mod it is doable. I'll still try to rejuvenate the old rm211 but it is great to have an alternate plan!

Thanks, Tom
Old 09-22-2011, 05:18 AM   #6

Name: Martin
Trailer: Trillium 4500 1977
Quebec
Registry
Hi Tom,
Keep in mind that unless the fridge is testing fine under propane, 110V or 12V, you likely have a deteriorated cooling unit performance or insulation problem that can't be repaired. RM211 insulation material is obsolete compared to newer models. Aged door gasket probably won't seal shut. Even a new cooling unit in such an old box might not perform under high ambient temperatures.

Current remplacement models available (RM2193 and Norcold 323) are about 1 1/2" narrower (so ventilation funnel has to be adjusted) and 3 inch longer. I used material I had on hand to do the modification. You are limited by your imagination, but outside ventilation space has to be level, strong and completely sealed around the unit. The whole operation took me less than 6 hours. I actually spent more time testing the dying RM211 than installing the new one into an adapted slot.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:09 AM   #7

Trailer: Boler 1984
The larger size isn't all that bad. The fridge will sit further into the opening and with only about one inch of trim painted to match the cupboards it doesn't look awfully out of place. Without the small almost useless freezer section there is an awful lot more space in the fridge as well.
Attached Thumbnails
011 (640x427).jpg   010 (800x533).jpg  

james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:44 PM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thostorey View Post
Anyone know what model Dometic fridge was normally installed in a 73 Surf Side Triple E, 13 foot? Darned if I can find it on the appliance..Where is it?

Second, anyone know of a replacement fridge that will fit in the hole?

Thanks, Tom
If its working with ac and dc then its most probable as Craig suggests in need of a good gas line cleaning.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge