Dometic Fridge Help - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2014, 04:37 PM   #1

Name: Pete & Kathy
Trailer: 1972 Boler
Ontario
Dometic Fridge Help

Hello All,

We have a boler with with Dometic 2-way fridge(110v/propane) Model #23a prod # 9263507 that works by making frost on the coil in the freezer but does not seem to keep the entire fridge cold. Would this be an insulation issue E.G needs to be removed and re-insulated???

Please advise if you know about these appliances.

Thanks so much
Pete and Kathy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:01 PM   #2

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita
Texas
I don't know about your model, but several years ago we had similar problems and took the trailer to a dealer who had it fixed in less than a day. I was told they had to "burp" the refrigerator which if I remember correctly involved turning the unit upside down for a few hours, then reinstalling and waiting a few more hours before turning the unit back on. You would have to ask a professional before doing this yourself.
J.R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:09 PM   #3

Ontario
Thanks J.R. Interesting!
Old 06-17-2014, 09:29 AM   #4

Name: Tim
Trailer: Aliner folding & Weekend Warrior toy hauler
Ohio
Is the thermistor in the correct position?
1998 Ford E150 pulling a 2006 Weekend Warrior toy hauler = 8 MPG
beemerphile1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:45 AM   #5

Ontario
I will get hubby to double check that Tim. He's that handy one.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:13 PM   #6

Name: Ben
Trailer: Triple E
Colorado
I have a Dometic 211 that was having a similar issue when run on propane (didn't experience the issue on 110v). Despite running for up to 8 hours, the temp in the fridge wouldn't drop below 50 degrees.

Yesterday, I pulled the jet, soaked it in alcohol and then blew compressed air through it. I also cleaned the burner, the connections on the thermocouple and the flue, then used a wire brush to lift old dirt/dust from the coils and fins and blew compressed air over those as well.

Performance is instantly better. Within about 6 hours, I was able to drop the temp from 70 degrees down to 33 and it was still headed in the downward direction when I shut the fridge off at that point.

I'm also going to be picking up one of these little battery operated circulation fans, which others have stated speeds the cooling process considerably.

In summary, your fridge may just need a good cleaning. Seems to be all mine was in need of.
kellyben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:49 PM   #7

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete and Kathy C View Post
that works by making frost on the coil in the freezer but does not seem to keep the entire fridge cold. Would this be an insulation issue E.G needs to be removed and re-insulated???
The frost makes it sound like it is working. These fridges take a lot longer to cool than the ones at home. There are many threads on adding fans inside and outside, venting and "almost good venting" plus insulating your fridge to improve efficiency. All good things to look up.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 03:39 PM   #8

Ontario
Smile awesome

Great info kellyben. Hubby is going to remove the fridge and give her some good TLC with hope it will work optimally again. :-)
Old 06-24-2014, 11:03 AM   #9

Name: Richard
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Wondering if I can tag a question here regarding the Dometic 211. I was advised by the PO not to run our fridge on propane due to it's age and a friend of his said "With the age of these things its ill advised to use it on Propane in case of leaks.

So, can anyone tell me where I can leak test the 211 to know if it IS safe to run on propane? I know so little about these things.

It doesn't work on 110v so propane is my only option as it's not connected to 12V.

Thanks so much!
Richard
IslandBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:22 AM   #10

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandBlue View Post
Wondering if I can tag a question here regarding the Dometic 211. I was advised by the PO not to run our fridge on propane due to it's age and a friend of his said "With the age of these things its ill advised to use it on Propane in case of leaks.

So, can anyone tell me where I can leak test the 211 to know if it IS safe to run on propane? I know so little about these things.

It doesn't work on 110v so propane is my only option as it's not connected to 12V.

Thanks so much!
Richard
Richard, The gas in the fridge is ammonia, with traces of hydrogen. I don't believe there is a danger of combustion. I have never heard of a leaking fridge causing any problems, other than a non working fridge. There are probably thousands of RM211's being used today. The PO was over cautious.

If it works, use it.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:43 AM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandBlue View Post

Thanks so much!
Richard
The age of the fridge doesnt really matter - its whether or not your propane fitting are leaking or not and that can happen on new fridges and stoves as well. Also the condition of the burner should be checked. Checked for leaks or take it to an rv shop and have them check all your propane fittings - which should be done reqularly anyways.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:46 AM   #12

British Columbia
Great advice, thank you! Good to know age not so much the concern, but rather the fittings themselves.

Cleaning burner best down with wire brush, or low-grit sandpaper?

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 06-24-2014, 12:06 PM   #13

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Richard if you go to the Documents Center on the home page of this list you will find service manuals for many different types of fridges to download. If you can't find one for your model just down load another of similar model as the servicing on them is pretty common to all of them.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:40 PM   #14

Ontario
This is all such great advise. Thanks for mentioning the documents section as I didn't know it existed. Cheers!!
Old 06-28-2014, 06:08 PM   #15

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Going all the way back to the starter thread.

The absorbtion refrigerator does not make your beer cold by making frost. If it is making a lot of frost it usually indicates that your door seal is leaking air and, in that case, it will never get really cold. In fact, just like in your old home refrigerator, frost on the cooling coils actually reduced the efficiency of the refrigerator.

The Model; 23 was the original refrigerator in your Boler, I had the same one in my 1973 Hunter until recently and it worked fine until I pulled it for one with more inside space but, that said, I hardly ever saw any frost on the freezer section.

I suggest that you look at the seal around the door and also check and see if the door itself might be warped. Go around the edge of the door and if you can easily slide a 3x5" card in between the door seal and the case, air can get by as well.

What else helps is to use extra latches on the door, one at the top and one at the bottom, to keep is sealed when closed.

But also keep in mind, it is 40+ years old and was very sensitive to be running out of level over it's life.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:07 PM   #16

Ontario
Hi Bob,
I am so glad I joined this site for brainstorming-its great. Thankfully hubby is handy, so we will definitely be paying attention to the door/seal , as we plan on removing the fridge to give it some needed tlc. Hopefully it will function better after that. We are camping this week and just using coolers.

Take Care and thanks for the advice!!
Kathy
Old 07-04-2014, 12:38 PM   #17

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Richard, The gas in the fridge is ammonia, with traces of hydrogen. I don't believe there is a danger of combustion. I have never heard of a leaking fridge causing any problems, other than a non working fridge. There are probably thousands of RM211's being used today. The PO was over cautious.

If it works, use it.
Thanks everyone! I took the plunge.. leak tested everything.. and after several attempts got the old beast and in less than an hour.. COOOLD!!! So pleased... appreciate the encouragment!

Tags
fridge