Dometic fridge question? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2019, 08:29 PM   #1

Name: Connie
Trailer: Scamp
Michigan
Dometic fridge question?

Hi,
fridge was on propane, noticed after a couple of days that the 12v switch was turned on. would it drain my battery or being on propane overrides the battery?
Thanks for any help,
Connie
Maneelu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 06:30 AM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Model number?
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 07:05 AM   #3

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Gordon may be getting at something to do with fancier models, but from the fridges I have experience with, you’d have to physically turn the dial to 12v for it to go there, and yes, having it on battery power will quickly drain the battery. The 12v setting is only meant to be used when you’re hooked up to the tow vehicle and getting a charge from the alternator.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 08:14 AM   #4

Michigan
Thanks Gordon your reply was very helpful. Puts my mind at ease.
Thank you,
Connie
Old 08-28-2019, 09:17 AM   #5

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Gordon may be getting at something to do with fancier models, ..
What am I getting at? I only asked what the model number was. (Perhaps another Gordon replied and then deleted the post? Its always good to quote the pertinent part of a message you are replying to).

And the reason I asked is to see what 12 volt switch OP is talking about (switch was on). If its powering the heater then yes, that will drain the battery fast. But OP said it was running on propane. So I'm confused and knowing the model number would allow me to figure out what the switch is for. If its only powering a control board then thats very different.
Old 08-28-2019, 10:15 AM   #6

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Maneelu, models matter. If someone says "I put diesel fuel in my truck and now it won't run!!", a legitimate first question is: is your truck a diesel???

Different units work different ways. It's a legitimate question. You need to give people background or they can't help. It helps to be nice to people giving free advice. Which leads me to...

Gordon, I was sincerely remarking that you may know something about different model Dometics which would complicate the issue, and was acknowledging that with my comment. You message was one sentence, two words. Pretty clear what part I was replying to.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:40 AM   #7

Michigan
The switch I was talking about was the red switch (12v) for the dometic fridge.i believe model #2193
Old 08-29-2019, 08:18 AM   #8

North Carolina
OK, I reviewed the manual and the electrical diagram. The 12 volt switch next to the 120 and gas knob does control the 12 volt heater (IDK if its red). I know you did not do this on purpose... the manual says:

NOTE: NEVER OPERATE THE REFRIGERATOR ON
MORE THAN ONE ENERGY SOURCE AT A TIME.
But of course stuff happens, so it seems like there would be or should be a relay or something to lock out the electric heaters when propane is being used. However looking at the electrical diagram and judging by their warning, it appears that there is not. Therefore I think the propane flame and 12 volt heater were both on at the same time. So yes, that will drain you battery fast if not on shore power. But my bigger concern would be overheating the unit. Not that I know it would be damaged but the warning is in the manual so I assume its possible, although it might take some time.

Dometic has good customer support so you could call them for the official answer. But if its under warranty you might want to test it on gas and 12 VDC first (on tug power rather than battery). They could probable see evidence of overheating from both being on at the same time (if that is a danger) but it might not be conclusive so they might fix it under warranty if its not working.

If it does appear to be working OK still then just remember not to use two heating sources at the same time going forward. Maybe some tape on the switch, or a cover of some sort. Its a bad part of the design IMHO.
Old 08-29-2019, 10:19 AM   #9

Michigan
Gordon,
Thanks for all you input. i will call dometic to make sure I didn't screw anything up.

Connie
Old 08-29-2019, 01:27 PM   #10

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneelu View Post
Gordon,
Thanks for all you input. i will call dometic to make sure I didn't screw anything up.

Connie
Lets us know what they say... I'm still learning
Old 08-30-2019, 09:02 PM   #11

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneelu View Post
The switch I was talking about was the red switch (12v) for the dometic fridge.i believe model #2193

The Dometic 2193 is a three-way unit. The 12V switch activates the 12V heater coil (draws 125W - about 10 to 11 amps continuously) so your battery will be completely discharged in 6 hours or less. The 120V switch activates the other heat coil and, of course, will do nothing unless you are tethered to shore power. Neither of the heater coils have a thermal switch in them so it's all or nothing with them.

To run on propane leave both the 12V and 120V switches off and control the propane flame level with the propane control knob. It can be set to high, medium or low (or off). You have to set the knob to high and hold it down to light the propane flame. When you initially activate the propane system leave it on high for several hours. It takes quite a while for the system to "get up to speed."

If you don't already have a manual for the 2193 you can find one on-line. The operating instructions are pretty detailed and specific.

73 Orlen
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 09:19 AM   #12

Name: Lynn
Trailer: '06 Scamp 16
Rochester, New York
The 120V circuit does have a thermostat. It's the big gray knob with numbers. The 12V is either on or off - the red switch. The propane knob gives you three choices for the flame size. User experience determines which is best with changing conditions.
Lynn Eberhardt is offline   Reply With Quote