Dometic Refrigerator Doesn't Run - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2007, 07:12 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 2005
We have a 2006 Scamp 13' with the three way refrigerator. During a recent trip it quit running. It would not run on electric and I have never had it on gas. I would appreciate any ideas on what to check.

Thanks, Ted
Ted E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 08:16 PM   #2

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
Ted.. is it still under manufactures warrnety? An RV place and fix it .
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 08:23 PM   #3

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Ted,

First, Christi's idea is excellent.

If you can't do that, here's some thoughts. Your refrigerator is an ammonia-absorption refrigerator. How it works is magic, but basically a heat source (either a gas flame or electric heating element) heats the ammonia cocktail in a boiler where it squirts out through an orific into tubes, and where it cools somehow taking the heat out of the box. Makes no sense to me, but...

Anyway... the key is whether or not the fridge works on gas. If it works on gas, but not electric, then your fridge is fine, it's just a problem with the electric; either the switch, wiring, or heating element. If it doesn't cool on gas either, then you have a real problem, and there are some tricks you can try, but more likely than not, the fridge is dead and needs to be replaced.

Try running it on gas for 6 to 8 hours and tell us what you find out.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 07:11 PM   #4

Trailer: 1981 Scamp 13 ft
Ted
Have a look in the links section for www.rvmobile.com and also wwwbryantrv.com and you will find more information than you ever wanted to know.Complete trouble shooting instructions for both the gas and electric systems. I was able to determine pretty quickly that the 110v heating element was burned out! (about $50) and after cleaning the gas jet with some spray cleaner the fridge went down to minus 29*f overnight .Neither fault required anything but basic tools, a volt ohm meter, and the ability to read and follow instructions.
Don F
Don Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 11:31 AM   #5

Trailer: Boler 1984
Ours actually plugs inti a 110 receptacle way back behind and under the sink. I'd check that you'r plugged in first and also what is the state of your panel breaker? Make sure you have power first then contact your RV dealer.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 05:59 PM   #6

Name: janel
Trailer: 77surfside TM 14 & 79 argosy
Alberta
ammonia-absorption refrigerator. How it works is magic, but basically a heat source (either a gas flame or electric heating element) heats the ammonia cocktail in a boiler where it squirts out through an orific into tubes, and where it cools somehow taking the heat out of the box. Makes no sense to me, but...

my father and i have done alot of digging around as well as fooling around with ammonia fridges. on a bus conversion site he found a tip that is not mentioned here, and has been proven to work many times. remove the entire refridgerator and turn it upside down for 24 hours. then turn right side up again, let sit for another day and give it a try. i don't know how or why, but it seems to give them a new lease on life. won't fix an electrical problem but it gets the ammonia flowing.
i personally don't even bother with the fridge. it makes way too good of a booze closet. having perfected the art of cooler camping and long term freezer (5 gallon bucket with minimal ice burried in the ground), i see no need to disturb my coctail bar/ex-fridge
good luck
janel
janel.p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 06:34 PM   #7

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp (Egg Salad Annie)
Registry
The fridge may not light on gas if there is an electrical problem. But I would try to see if it will work on Gas It may take a moment or a couple of trys to purge the gas line to the fridge. Read the directions and set it to Gas and see if it cools. The Dometic needs about 9volts to run on Gas. It uses electrical power to run its control Modul I had a control modul go out from spikes and power drops in a campground. I installed a new Modul with a fuze. I do not belive there is one. Call Scamp in the AM they will know if there is a fuze.
Check and see if there is power to the Fridge as well.
Good Luck
Taylor Kissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 06:35 PM   #8

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scampless in Oregon
Oregon
Does it have a "touch screen" kind of control panel? If so, you might want to fuss with that and make sure it is set correctly.... according to your instruction manual. (assuming you have one for the fridg.) I had one in my truck camper and one day it just quit working.. So as a last resort, I consulted the manual. Somehow (bumped or gremlins...) the setting had changed to "manual" and hence failed to recognize the power source. (on automatic mine would "sense" whether it was plugged into AC or if I was using gas) I hope this isn't too confusing.... .... It may be something to check before you get out the hammer!
jack smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 06:48 PM   #9

Trailer: 1994 20 ft Bigfoot 5th Wheel / Toyota Tacoma SR5
If the fridge is not level it will not run....use a bubble level and simply check to make sure the air bubble is at least touching the center ring.

Paul
jrnutpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 06:48 PM   #10

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Turning the fridge upside down (Burping it) is to get the ammonia back down to the proper spot in the coils. As the ammonia can foam in the lines blocking them and not cooling properly! In this situation it will not matter which power source your on...it won't cool This info I got from my local R.V. fridge tech Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 06:53 PM   #11

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Taylor, generally the smaller trailers that only have single-door fridges don't have a control board like the bigger ones do; at least the one I had in the '02 Scamp was still a manual light LP gas/manual electric switch on/manual thermostat setting fridge. I haven't kept up on what models they've used have in the past couple of years though.

And Janel's upside-down refrigerator may work... but it's a lot of work to go to prior to diagnosing what's really wrong that may be an easy fix. As long as you're not smelling ammonia or seeing yellow stuff seeping out of the tubes, in an '06 trailer, it's more than likely electrical and probably nothing too serious.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 07:05 PM   #12

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp (Egg Salad Annie)
Registry
It would be great if if would manually light. I miss that when Boondocking having to make sure I have 9volts to run the fridge Brain
Taylor Kissinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator