Dometic Refrigerator in Boler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2009, 05:57 PM   #1

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
I have had my 73 Boler for a couple of years and have always parked where utilities are available. However, now I would like to camp where no utilities are available and I would like to use my refrigerator on the LPG setting. But, I cannot get it to light the propane. I don't know if it was ever used by previous owner. It is $80. to get the fridge looked at and then labour costs and parts after that. I have an old air compressor and I thought I would try to blow out different hoses and pipes. If anyone can give me any suggestions to check the fridge by myself, I would appreciate it. I am pretty handy and enjoy a challenge. This is only my 2nd item I have put on the forum. Thank you.
Judy Powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:41 PM   #2

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
Judy,

There are several documents in the document center for this, it would help to know what refrigerator model you have...some models in this era "1973" had a switch in the back that was the changeover from electric operation to gas functions, often a rod would run underneath to the front of the unit to a knob that you would turn inside to toggle the switch one way or another...this mechanism was often a flaw. The switch if not used would seize or freeze up sticking in the electric position, in this position on some models it would block the gas valve from operating by physically blocking the rotation of the gas knob until it would toggle the other way when unfrozen moving it physically unblocking the gas knob allowing its operation...

Also keep in mind the air in the gas line to the refrigerator takes a long long time to purge out, most often on gas starts where long use of electric functions only were used makes the issues on the gas system restarts just about normal.

A picture of your works would help, snap a photo of the rear access if you cannot determine your model. Feel free to P.M. me for more details...finding a buddy who is savvy or has been there and dun that is helpful too...at least do not trouble shoot alone.

I do not mind step by step suggestions, when testing gas systems a buddy system is good sense along with a near fire extinguisher too...this is not a scare tactic, I am being practical, I do this every time, I also fire people who do not in my employ.

Your system is simple, while its got allot of magic inside psychologically speaking its really a simple unit...In 1973 the design variations were done on the fly by cowboy engineers now 80 years of age...the variations were at times funny.

Cheers

Harry
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 09:27 PM   #3

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
I agree with what Harry says about documents and safety. One of the documents is a service and troubleshooting manual for many early Dometic Fridges. If yours is not in it, I have a similar one that has a few other models. If all else fails, I would recommend Panda Propane near Bradford just south of Barrie. A little pricey but well worth the piece of mind.

BTW on LPG it takes a while for these things to cool down. I find that putting the fridge on electrical first, heats up the components and gets everything flowing in the right direction. Then switch over to LPG. For many it is difficult to see that the gas is actually lit. Sometimes I can't see the pilot light lit, but know it is because my fridge has a little gauge that indicates the propane system is working.

If you locate your model, google search the model with lighting. You will find a lot of tricks that others found works. With mine for example, you start the fridge on electrical to preheat the exchange unit. Then light the stove to make sure the gas is there and purge the lines. Then pump the primer 12-15 times at a certain speed before pressing the spark button. There was something about sacrificial goats, but I have not needed to get that far yet.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler, refrigerator