Dometic RMD8555 repair in the SFBA - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2021, 01:51 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Dometic RMD8555 repair in the SFBA

is there *ANY* RV repair place in the SF Bay Area, preferably southern, that you'd trust to diagnose and fix a issue with the $#@$@# Electrolux designed RMD8555 fridge? mine works fine on 120VAC but faults on gas, and I can tell the sparker is sparking once before it faults out.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 08:32 PM   #2

Name: Charles
Trailer: Bigfoot
Georgia
I have to assume you have gas flowing thru the system, as the stove and water heater operates?

Open the outside access and put your hand on the gas valve while someone turns it on. You should feel and possibly hear a distinct clunk as the valve opens.

Do you get just one "tick" from the ignition, or more?

Edit: Here is the service manual http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/Servi...,%20RM8xxx.pdf

Page 26 describes the ignition operation, startup on gas. There is a 1 amp glass fuse that controls the burner control unit, which operates the gas valve. Actually an easy to understand manual, possibly too simple, but its ok and well illustrated.

Edit: referring to this fridge as Electrolux in any form or fashion will just serve to confuse people. Many people, probably including some service people, will not understand the relationship of Electrolux and absorption fridges, You will probably get better results, especially on the phone talking to someone simply by calling it what it is, a Dometic.

Not trying to be critical, but not using the correct descriptive term for something is a pet peeve of mine, probably due to my having been an airline mechanic for 31 years, where everything has a proper description and failing to use it can cause great expense on the part of the company.

Charles
Old 04-22-2021, 09:15 PM   #3

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
I have to assume you have gas flowing thru the system, as the stove and water heater operates?

Open the outside access and put your hand on the gas valve while someone turns it on. You should feel and possibly hear a distinct clunk as the valve opens.

Do you get just one "tick" from the ignition, or more?

Edit: Here is the service manual http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/Servi...,%20RM8xxx.pdf

Page 26 describes the ignition operation, startup on gas. There is a 1 amp glass fuse that controls the burner control unit, which operates the gas valve. Actually an easy to understand manual, possibly too simple, but its ok and well illustrated.

Charles
that is the wrong service manual, its a 2007 edition, my 2014 model differs in significant ways, completely different AES control panel, different burner/ignitor assembly, etc.

but, yeah, I just get a single click. next time I can get my wife to stand inside and repeatedly push the reset button, I'm going to hold a bbq 'windproof' lighter on the end, see if that encourages any flame. and yes, feel the gas valve to see if it is ticking. as it is, I just hear the single click of the sparker going once and it immediately faults. I can SEE the spark if I shadow the burner area after removing the covers, its a strong spark from the tip of the ignitor to the burner output ports/slots.
Old 04-22-2021, 09:19 PM   #4

Mid Left Coast
re that manual, compare page 34, the AES control panel circuit board with...

and the front of the control panel, on page 27 with...

Old 04-22-2021, 09:28 PM   #5

Name: Charles
Trailer: Bigfoot
Georgia
I basically stumbled onto that manual and it looked so modern, I didn't think to check the date.

This guy has a lot of manuals. http://bryantrv.com/docs.html I may have to sit down and download all of them before they become "lost", taken down, etc.

Charles