Dometic thermostat - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2012, 12:56 PM   #1

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Dometic thermostat

Trying to find, a Dometic RM 24 refrigerator 120 volt Ranco A50 thermostat.
Also, need two temperature control knobs for the same unit.
Any and all help will be appreciated.
Mike
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 74 Boler 13 ft / 97 Ford Aerostar
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mszabo View Post
Trying to find, a Dometic RM 24 refrigerator 120 volt Ranco A50 thermostat.
Also, need two temperature control knobs for the same unit.
Any and all help will be appreciated.
Mike
Hi,
According to the wiring diagram in the RM24 service manual, the thermostat works on both 120V and 12V, which is switched by your voltage selector switch. This is common with RV fridges. I previously replaced a thermostat in my old Boler fridge with a Ranco K50, which is still made today. Since the job of the thermostat is simply to turn the current on and off at certain temperatures, any basic thermostat that physically fits into your fridge space should work.

I described my experience with my fridge, including replacing the thermostat, in this post here: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f54/trailer-fridge-now-working-properly-42642.html

My city has an RV fridge specialty shop, and I would expect they are common in most cities. One of those should have a thermostat to fit your fridge. I took my old one in to the guy, who was able to find me a replacement at a very reasonable price.

Good luck,
Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Rick, thank you for the response. I want to install this rm24 in a scamp19, I have. The refrige would cool down to temp cut off and not start up again.
Found wiring to temp switch with insulation off of it.
Replaced wiring and started over. Cooling even better switch cuts off now, waiting to see if it comes back on.
Could really use the longer control knobs which are missing.
Made a control handle out of an ink pen, kind of hard to fine tune the temperature.
Thanks
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote