Don't Tighten Chains Too Much - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2021, 06:33 AM   #1

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Don't Tighten Chains Too Much

I thought the chain seemed to be hanging too low, so I attached the quick link 1 link tighter than I usually do. Just a short drive was enough to bend one of the quick links.

I couldn't budge it by hand and had to use pliers and vice grips to loosen it. The quick link was bent just enough that the chain couldn't fit through the opening. Fortunately, I was at home and got a crowbar and used it to pry the link open a little more.

Lowes has quick links!!
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 08:03 AM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp 1995 19'
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
I thought the chain seemed to be hanging too low, so I attached the quick link 1 link tighter than I usually do. Just a short drive was enough to bend one of the quick links.

I couldn't budge it by hand and had to use pliers and vice grips to loosen it. The quick link was bent just enough that the chain couldn't fit through the opening. Fortunately, I was at home and got a crowbar and used it to pry the link open a little more.

Lowes has quick links!!

LOL, the chains are supposed to have slack. If they are not sparking on the pavement they are fine!
jwcolby123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 09:34 AM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
And crossed
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 09:47 AM   #4

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
When you buy quick links be careful to check their load rating. Make sure each one can handle the full weight of your trailer. There are lots out there not made to handle heavy loads.

Walt
Old 08-29-2021, 12:28 PM   #5

Name: Steven
Trailer: shopping for Scamp
New York
One way to remedy loose safety chains is to simply twist them to shorten them.
schrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 12:30 PM   #6

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrome View Post
One way to remedy loose safety chains is to simply twist them to shorten them.
I've seen several warnings over the years not to twist them. I don't recall ever seeing an explanation.

Okay, I googled it. The explanation I saw was that it weakens them but it's a very minor effect, like 5%

Walt
Old 08-29-2021, 06:05 PM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Just use a small bungee at about the middle to keep the chains under control. They will hold them neatly in place without interfering with needed movement.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0095.JPG   DSCF0096.JPG  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 11:06 PM   #8

Name: Carl
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
I got to use my chains one time when the hitch wasn't quite in the ball after forgetting to put the jack back up. I drove a few feet and the jack pushed the hitch up the ball when it made contact with the cement. I put the jack back up not realizing this and continued on. As I was driving on a bumpy road in my neighborhood all of a sudden there was this scraping noise and my trailer was nose down. Preparing for the worst I got out to see what happened. Has the frame broken? I wondered. And there it was hitch down on the pavement with only a few scratches. Luckily there was a guy nearby who helped me lift the hitch back onto the ball. And I continued on my camping trip. Never made that mistake again.
Yellow Boler is offline   Reply With Quote