Donuts? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2013, 08:13 AM   #1

Name: Ken
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 16' deluxe 2008 FJ Cruiser
Pennsylvania
Donuts?

Having a teardrop and an old Scotty I have not had to think of waste water. Now having a Scamp on order so things are coming up. First what is a donut that some campgrounds require for the black water? I have seen a funnel looking thing that goes in the ground on the end of the waste pipe. I just found out my trailer will have two seperate waste hook ups do I need a "Y" with two pipes for one sewer connection? Hoping someone can make this simple for me.
Ken
Ken in Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:17 AM   #2

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
You will have 2 drains. One for the blackwater under the toilet which you will drain first and one under the back for your grey water which you will drain last. The reason for draining the grey water last is so it can rinse out the drain hose (sort of lol).
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:01 AM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
here is a "donut", a device to keep your sewer pipe inside the connection
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ist-57206.html
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:38 AM   #4

Pennsylvania
So a donut is just a weight to hold down the hose? What about the soft rubber looking funnel I saw? I wonder where I am going to stick all this junk. The Scamp has no cargo doors and they will not install one that may be one of my first mods. I can wait on that one.
Ken
Old 03-28-2013, 10:58 AM   #5

Pennsylvania
Registry
The donut is what keeps the hose connected to the sewer, supposed to be air tight, in addition you may need some weight to keep it in place, not sure what is under the picture as I do not not own one, but you fill this with water to keep your hose in place, you probably need a separate donut under this to seal the opening.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:08 AM   #6

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Google "rv sewer hose seal" and you'll get adapters and elbows+adaptors and what all including no doubt water-filled pink pigs along with assertions that they seal against odour transmission or leakage. Get the donut for a couple bucks at Walmart or whatever. I'll bet any campground or park which requires a waterproof seal will have one available in the camp store for $35+. I have not encountered a state park, KOA or other private rv park which does but don't doubt that day is coming. ShŁt happens.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:15 AM   #7

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ewer-seal/4496

This one qualifies as a "seal" according to CW.
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:05 PM   #8

Pennsylvania
Thank you everyone
Ken
Old 03-28-2013, 12:27 PM   #9

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
You will have 2 drains. One for the blackwater under the toilet which you will drain first and one under the back for your grey water which you will drain last. The reason for draining the grey water last is so it can rinse out the drain hose (sort of lol).
I've never paid attention to this area of Scamps but although you have 2 gate valves don't they continue on into one 4" outlet? Or do they actually have two gate valves AND two outlets and the hose has to be switched between them when draining?
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:38 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L. View Post
I've never paid attention to this area of Scamps but although you have 2 gate valves don't they continue on into one 4" outlet? Or do they actually have two gate valves AND two outlets and the hose has to be switched between them when draining?
Yes, Scamp has two gate valves, they're not connected. There will be a "stinky slinky" mounted in a tube to the front of the trailer (FUGLY looking thing), a sewer connector is provided (threaded). The gray water tank MAY have a (garden) hose connector on the outside of the cap. The only time a rubber donut is needed is if the sewer doesn't have a screw thread... the threaded connection provides a complete seal.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:45 PM   #11

Name: Don
Trailer: '79 Boler 1700RGH
British Columbia
Donuts are for sewer hookups with no threads.. these are pretty rare from what i've seen anyway.

Usually it's a PVC pipe hookup, requiring one of these:

Camco 39144 Quikslip Sewer Elbow - Walmart.com
Old 04-01-2013, 06:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinslayer View Post
Donuts are for sewer hookups with no threads.. these are pretty rare from what i've seen anyway.
Everyone who has a sewer hookup at http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...may-53819.html needs to bring a donut!!! The sewer connection is a 90 degree and is NOT threaded.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:59 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I'm trying to understand.
Is this donut device required by some parks ( not many ) and would the park police only notice if you were one of those campers who leave the slinky in the dump for their entire stay?
As in, I only dump when the black tank is close to full, even in a full service camp. So, I'm likely dumping because I'm heading somewhere else. They are going to have to catch me in the act then? And, then they kick me out?
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:05 PM   #14

I know first hand from camping at Maryhill there is no way to get a seal without a donut. Whether you're draining graywater or blackwater... it leaks on the ground . Rather than the connection being flat on the ground, it's a raised 90 degree pipe. Don't know why they did it that way, it can be a mess.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:06 PM   #15

Pennsylvania
Registry
I heard somewhere that rv camp owners have a secret list of non donut users, you may not be able to return, ever again and once the word gets out you may even be turned down at other places!!!
Old 04-01-2013, 07:15 PM   #16

My slinky has a bayonet mount for the trailer end and nothing on the other end.
So, I guess I'll be staying home.
... That and the cost of travel medical insurance for U.S. coverage. ( $200 for me for 10 days ).
Old 04-02-2013, 06:24 PM   #17

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Sorry, being a cop of 27 years I saw the word donut and just got drawn in. LOL
Old 04-02-2013, 06:52 PM   #18

I don't know what the big deal is.. it's a part that costs less than $5. Doesn't wear out, isn't mechanical nor electronic. You buy it, use it, when done throw it in a zip lock bag and store with the rest of your sewer supplies until you need it the next time.... and you're grateful that the last 25 campers that used your site were considerate enough to not dribble stinky water in the site.
Attached Thumbnails
Donut.jpg  
Old 04-02-2013, 07:13 PM   #19

How does that prevent dribble?
It appears to make the hole for the hose smaller, and that's all.

I think it was designed for those people who connect to the sewer when they pull into the campsite and dump continuously during their stay. It would help prevent odor from the sewer, which could be annoying.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:42 PM   #20

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I think it was designed for those people who connect to the sewer when they pull into the campsite and dump continuously during their stay. It would help prevent odor from the sewer, which could be annoying.
That's probably the common use, but Donna described the situation where it would be needed:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Rather than the connection being flat on the ground, it's a raised 90 degree pipe.
Apparently in this setup - which I have never seen myself - the pipe comes vertically out of the ground, turns 90 degrees to become horizontal, and ends. Put your hose in without a gasket, and waste runs out the bottom of the unsealed connection.

My guess is that campground did this to keep their sewer system from collecting rainwater from open site inlets.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote