door alignment on trill - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2012, 10:47 PM   #1

Name: phil
Trailer: 1973 trillium
Ontario
Registry
door alignment on trill

hi there

I am doing some renos on my Tril but I am at a loss on how to correct the door alignment issue I have. Seem like the main body is shifted. Anyone else have this problem and how do you correct? I have taken the door off already and re-patched the screw holes to see if I can move it but there no longer seems to be a "good" spot for the door. There is also a rather large gap in the bottom not sealing well.

I just tried to post a photo but no luck.suffice to say there is a .5 in drop at the door latch side

Thanks
PhillyPhixy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:53 PM   #2

Ontario
Registry
OK I think I have a pic now...
Attached Thumbnails
door-not-straight.gif   door-alignment.gif  

Old 05-30-2012, 11:08 PM   #3

Name: Reid
Trailer: 1979 Trillium 4500
Oregon
Registry
Nature of the beast. Old ones, new ones, big ones, little ones all seem to have this problem. Something about the mold. There have several discussions about this and the consensus is that if the "reveal" or space around the the door is about the same all you can do is live with it. Your door looks as if it fits well so if the strike on the latch works "it is what it is".
Reid Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:29 PM   #4

Ontario
Registry
Thanks Reid but not what I was hoping to hear. ..although I sorta expected that. The door works fine but as I mentioned, seems like the body is "torqued" and there doesn`t seem to be a reason why. Frame on this one is in great shape. There does appear to be some stress cracks around the right rear window frame. (I pulled all windows and re framed them with new marine grade ply and epoxy.)
Was this the way it was new? Hard to imagine that getting by Q.C.

Was really hoping "shimming" something under the frame might do the trick.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:03 AM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Hi Phil. Even our "new" one has the misalignment as it was made from the same molds. Notice the door where it meets the belly band in this sales picture. I was told they fixed the problem with the 2011's but I have never seen one. Raz
Attached Thumbnails
image-77199751.jpg  
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:04 AM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
As others have said the body lines do not line up perfectly. Yet your entire door looks a little low and sagging on the top to the left. How did you the hinges?
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:42 AM   #7

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
I have a 75 Trillium and right the door does not fit alround. All is OK till you get to the bottom, seems open. So just add another layer of weather molding to the existing and seems to solve the problem.

Ron
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:31 AM   #8

Ontario
Registry
Thanks there people
A little disappointing though. If you look in MODIFICATIONS, I did some work like putting in a skylite and I wanted to paint the little guy. I would have liked to try to sort this out prior. Roy, I am in TO as well. Seems like my hinges are pretty tight, no slop.(I actually found a really good one which was exact match on an old industrial fridge someone was throwing out...) The door is as straight as I can get it without compromising the TOP seal. RRjr I did the same thing with weatherstrip on the bottom. The weatherstrip is on the door itself though. The latch wasn`t working well but I redid the plate and "re-aligned" the door.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:30 AM   #9

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhixy View Post
Seems like my hinges are pretty tight, no slop.(I actually found a really good one which was exact match on an old industrial fridge someone was throwing out...) The door is as straight as I can get it without compromising the TOP seal.
Just a thought, you mentioned changing one or more of the hinges. Are you sure it is the right offset? If I recall the body side and door side are off set by 3/8", though the part #'s on the back read the same on the door portion of the hinge.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:22 PM   #10

Name: Fred
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Washington
Registry
I just rehung my door for the same reason. Filled the old screw holes with glass and drilled new ones.

Now I have the "band" near the door handle lined up, but the hinges don't sit exactly right on the body. Oh well.

--Fred and Natalie
1978 Trillium 4500 "Bernerwagon"
freddo411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:26 AM   #11

Ontario
Registry
hey Roy

They looked exactly the same laying flat on a table except less pitting. Didn`t look for numbers..
Old 06-01-2012, 07:31 AM   #12

Ontario
Looking for hinges go to
"trilliumrv.com"
Old 06-01-2012, 04:16 PM   #13
Raz

McMaster Carr has them too. Number 1276A52. Fast delivery and they will take a credit card. Also Trillium Outback has them which might be a better choice in Canada.

http://trilliumtrailers.com/
Raz
Old 06-01-2012, 06:06 PM   #14

Name: Frank
Trailer: shopping
Utah
I added a deadbolt lock several inches below the original latch on my Trill 1300. (Shaping the "catch" was a bit of a trick.) Set it up so I have to push (pull) the door in slightly to close the dead bolt. Gets rid of most of the gap at the bottom and I'm a much happier camper with the dead bolt secured.
bernfp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:05 PM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
My KISS solution to the ill fitting Trillium door. Go camping, latch the exterior door back and use a screen door. Now, no one knows the body seams don't line up.

NIRVANA and making memories
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:28 PM   #16

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
McMaster Carr has them too. Number 1276A52. Fast delivery and they will take a credit card. Also Trillium Outback has them which might be a better choice in Canada.

Compact lightweight fiberglass Outback travel trailers Calgary | Trillium Trailers
Raz
McMaster Carr? I don't think so.
Scott H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:46 AM   #17
Raz

I bought two from them last fall.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...red-49552.html
Old 06-03-2012, 07:33 AM   #18

Ontario
The hinges are availible from Trillium USA for $95.00/pair.

Ron
Old 03-27-2013, 05:48 PM   #19

Name: lucille
Trailer: 1977 Trillium 4500
Manitoba
I think I would feel safer with a deadbolt on my Trill 4500. where did you find one that fit?
lucille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:30 PM   #20

Name: Frank
Trailer: shopping
Utah
Deadbolt on Trill 1300

I can't recall exactly but think I got it online after checking out a couple of the required specs. Looked at some at the local trailer supply superstore but they wouldn't fit. It is a labor intensive operation with power tools that you probably don't want to screw up - you will be cutting a new hole in the door. Anyhow, it's still working well and I am a happier camper. Sorry I couldn't be more specific. Probably should have taken photos while I was doing it but historical documentation wasn't at the top of my list at the time.
bernfp is offline   Reply With Quote