Door Closing/Locking Issues on New Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2022, 12:16 AM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: 2021 Scamp
Oregon
Door Closing/Locking Issues on New Scamp

Hi All,

Our 16 foot scamp is approaching it's one year point, and it has been a good little trailer overall, but has had some issues.

One that I'm particularly concerned with is that twice now I have had to file down the receiver of the entry door bolt because the bolt was hitting low and would not latch. I've attached a picture below before doing any filing.

We also have an issue with the bathroom door, as it will no longer shut. The frame opening appears to be to small for the door to shut now. I could just file down the bottom of the door, but I'm wondering if these problems speak to bigger issues with the frame/foundation/fiberglass of the trailer.

Any suggestions on how I should proceed? Is this normal? I'm about two weeks away from my one year warranty being up.

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
latch hitting low (2).jpg  
teg_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 07:24 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Not too familiar with the new doors, but I would protect the warranty by reaching out to Scamp by e-mail immediately and establish the claim. Include good pictures. This is a brand-new design, so there may be glitches, and they may have suggestions.

Check on the Scamp FB group as well (there are several, but “Scamp Travel Trailers” is the most active). I left the group a while ago, but there did seem to be more owners of new ones there.

Being so close to the bottom, I’m thinking they may have installed the plate a bit too high combined with a little door sag as the hinge(s) settle in. I’ll be curious what Scamp says and if others have experienced the same thing.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 08:46 AM   #3
MJo

Name: Mary Jo
Trailer: 2020 Scamp w/2004 Volvo XC-70
Massachusetts
door closing on 2020 Scamp 16

Also, I also check on the use. I found that I was pulling down on doors and causing misfits. Once I changed my behavior, no more problems. These are lighter weight structures that your home, require more gentle treatment. I got the advice from a neighbor. since you’ve had it for a year, more likely to be treat-
ment issues than Scamp manufacture issues.
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 09:02 AM   #4

Name: Rita
Trailer: Scamp
WA
Door lock issues

That's exactly the same issues I am having with my new 2021 13' Scamp. The sticker plate is misaligned. I have been in touch with Scamp and they told me that sometimes the door gets too low and that I should tighten the door handle. I did all this and still have the same problem. I had to take the plate off to lock it for winter. I am going to get back with them as soon as I uncover my Scamp. I need a reliable lock. My warranty is good until August.
Rita Mellett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 09:10 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Have someone close the door from the inside. Even if it wont latch, have them hold the latch open and pull on the door so it will go into its postion. Stand on the outside and see if you can see a difference in the door placement. In other words, is the top left of the door closer to its cavity than the right? (check the bottom sides of the door as well) If so, check the top hinge. SOMETHING is shifting and shouldnt be- UNLESS you guys are pulling down on the door (never heard of that until today!).

The clincher is, you've said "twice" you've had to file more clearance- again- SOMETHING is moving and you should look CLOSELY at the hinges.

People use to gripe about the old Scamp door hinges. I kept mine for 11 years and NEVER had an issue...just a little light oil to quieten them occasionally.

Reminds me of an A/C issue I had with my Scamp w/Coleman Mach A/C. It started a rubbing sound. This went on for MONTHS. I "wedged" something in the interior duct and stopped it....I thought. One night camping, it started AGAIN about 4AM but the loudest it had been. I told the wife...let's go...I'm going home and not miss a day's work over this stupid AC! (We were about 80 miles). I came in to work, called Coleman and boy was I livid!!! He said, "Uh...yeah, you've got one of 'those'". I said "What do you MEAN 'one of those???'". There was a factory "defect" that allowed the fan to slip on the shaft!! That was a MAJOR fix for the Scamp (ask me how I know! No one would touch it) but my point is, no matter the 'band aids' I applied, it kept "moving" and that's what your door is doing. Let us know the "fix".

Darral

Quote:
Originally Posted by teg_76 View Post
Hi All,

Our 16 foot scamp is approaching it's one year point, and it has been a good little trailer overall, but has had some issues.

One that I'm particularly concerned with is that twice now I have had to file down the receiver of the entry door bolt because the bolt was hitting low and would not latch. I've attached a picture below before doing any filing.

We also have an issue with the bathroom door, as it will no longer shut. The frame opening appears to be to small for the door to shut now. I could just file down the bottom of the door, but I'm wondering if these problems speak to bigger issues with the frame/foundation/fiberglass of the trailer.

Any suggestions on how I should proceed? Is this normal? I'm about two weeks away from my one year warranty being up.

Thank you!
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 09:20 AM   #6
MJo

Name: Mary Jo
Trailer: 2020 Scamp w/2004 Volvo XC-70
Massachusetts
door closing/locking issues

My issues were corrected once I realized that I was me, not the Scamp. I have the 2020 13 ft. before Scamp went to the flat door. My curved door has always fit and except when initially, it was difficult to open, (that was before I learned that I had to give it a good jerk! (And makes it more difficult for thieves to steal!) There haven’t been problems. So now I look to what I’m doing and that I am new to having a Scamp. When I’ve looked over past Scamp owner’s. emails, few have complained about Scamp manufacturing and the resale value is a testament to how good and reliable and well built they are.
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 10:46 AM   #7

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
I got locked out of my Casita & they used the emergency window to get in. The door latch had broken in half. I replaced the door lock with an upgraded lock. I was advised to keep the emergency latch open when I travel.
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 11:38 AM   #8

Name: Nick
Trailer: scamp
California
DEFINITELY complain to Scamp and don’t wait. This sounds more serious than just a door problem. The chassis around the door may be the problem, if you look at photos of the chassis you will see what I mean: the chassis is made to accommodate the entry level and this appears to be its weakest point.
Good luck
Nick J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 12:25 PM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
This is a brand new trailer. Chassis failure is way, way down the list of possible causes. Misalignment of the latch tongue and receiver hole during manufacture seems like the most likely cause. Loose or misaligned hinges seem like the second most likely. It could well be a combination of both.

Those are the kind of glitches you might expect with a whole new door design, and should be covered by your new trailer warranty, so I agree you should contact Scamp immediately. The new (almost) flat door design was introduced in 2021, and if yours is almost a year old it is an early build.

I would start by checking hinge tightness and alignment two ways: (1) look at whether the door hangs straight in the frame with an even gap all around, and (2) open the door and jiggle it up and down gently to see if there is any play (if so, try to assess whether it's at the hinge pin or at the hinge attachment to the door or trailer).
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp