Door gap 13' Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2020, 10:38 PM   #1

Name: Katie
Trailer: Scamp
Idaho
Door gap 13' Scamp

I'm sure there's got to be a thread about this, but for the life of me I can't find it using the search function.

I have a 1998 Scamp 13' with a sizeable door gap running along the bottom third of the door (on the hinge side) and along the bottom of the door. I've tried thick weather tape to seal it and, alas, I just need to fix the problem instead of trying to put a bandaid on it. I've ordered new door hinges from Scamp, but am curious if there's anything else I can try to fix the gap? Any suggestions would be helpful!
katidesc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 05:57 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
A bottom-only gap is sometimes caused by a rotted door core that has lost its shape. The cause is typically water leaking into the core around the window. A quick test is to drill small holes at the bottom of the thick part of the door on the inside. If water runs out, then you have your answer. Repair is beyond my skill and experience, but there are threads. Make sure you’re using the “Site Search/Google” option at the bottom of the search menu for best results.

If the hinges are indeed the problem, you don't have to replace the whole hinge. All you need is a rebuild kit in which you replace the wear parts. Scamp sells the kit, and a better quality stainless steel version is available at member Ian Giles' website:
https://www.campingtreasures.com/pro...ge-repair-kit/
When you rebuild the hinges, remove the hinge body and inspect the holes to see if they've become wallowed out and replace the bolts with new stainless steel ones. Make sure to seal the holes when you reattach the hinges.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 08:24 AM   #3

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
A bottom-only gap is sometimes caused by a rotted door core that has lost its shape. The cause is typically water leaking into the core around the window. A quick test is to drill small holes at the bottom of the thick part of the door on the inside. If water runs out, then you have your answer. Repair is beyond my skill and experience, but there are threads. Make sure you’re using the “Site Search/Google” option at the bottom of the search menu for best results.
Thanks, that's super helpful! I'm hopeful it's just the hinges since it's been this way since I got it (I'm the second owner) and was only used 4 or 5 times by the PO. I'll try the hinges first then move to inspecting the door for water. Guessing it's about time to reseal the door window as I've had to do the others over the last couple years.
Old 05-17-2020, 09:49 AM   #4

Name: Nicolas
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Almonte, Ontario
Scamp & Boler

I know more about the older models but this question will update my knowledge base.

On the older Bolers which were similar to Scamps, there was a metal bar on the hinge side of the door to help keep the wall shape and relieve some of the strain from the hinges. Did the Scamps have such a bar and did that continue into the near present (ie the last 30 years)?

If so, this could be part of the problem.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 11:16 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Yes, my Scamp has that curved metal bar, visible on the inside as a square bump in the rat fur along the hinge side of the door. IIRC mine is behind the frame for the screen door.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 03:59 PM   #6

Name: Nicolas
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Almonte, Ontario
Ah, good. The problem is hopefully the hinges or the door curvature (which will need rejigging). Can’t think of many things that I would want to avoid than the correction of body sag.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 07:04 PM   #7

Idaho
Thanks everyone! I'll let you know how the hinge rebuild goes and if I end up needing to do more.
Old 05-17-2020, 09:21 PM   #8

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
On our 1990 13’ Scamp I added a metal piece at the bottom of the door opening that captures the leading edge of the door to pull it toward the body of the trailer as one closes the door. I got this from Scamp parts department after seeing it on a newer Scamp. I don’t recall what it is called. Best of luck with your problem.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 12:23 PM   #9

Name: Robert
Georgia
Door Repair

Mabe this will help had to do this to mine. Its not as hard as it looks
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ScampDoorRepair1_3.pdf (105.0 KB, 76 views)
File Type: pdf ScampDoorRepair4_6.pdf (228.2 KB, 50 views)
File Type: pdf DoorRepairP6.pdf (227.0 KB, 45 views)
bizerba911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 12:34 PM   #10

I have (had) this problem with my 77? 13ft Scamp. Drill a small hole in the thick part at the bottom a couple of inches from the edge. I would put odds on having water in there. The window will probably need complete re sealing. It can be re-shaped. Patients will be necessary.
JMolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 02:09 PM   #11

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
On our 1990 13’ Scamp I added a metal piece at the bottom of the door opening that captures the leading edge of the door to pull it toward the body of the trailer as one closes the door. I got this from Scamp parts department after seeing it on a newer Scamp. I don’t recall what it is called. Best of luck with your problem.
Dave & Paula
David, do you have pictures of what you're describing?
Old 05-23-2020, 02:10 PM   #12

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizerba911 View Post
Mabe this will help had to do this to mine. Its not as hard as it looks
YES!! I saw these pdf's on another thread and they are very helpful! I don't think my door gap warrants this much effort but I've saved these files to my computer in case it needs it in the future! Thanks so much!
Old 05-23-2020, 06:56 PM   #13

Name: Kevin
Texas
I’ve rebuilt 2 Scamp doors that sagged & lost curvature due to waterlogging. It is very common. It took a weekend to fix it, along with basic carpentry skills. There is a tutorial posted that details the process step by step. If the door does need to be “re-curved,” it can be done & it’ll be like new again.
Doc.Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 07:05 PM   #14

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by katidesc13 View Post
David, do you have pictures of what you're describing?
Sorry, I don’t have pictures, and I sold that unit years ago. Did you try looking at Scamp’s on-line parts dept?
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp