Door gas strut - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2013, 07:34 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
Door gas strut

My "new to me" 2008 Bigfoot is great but wondering about the door gas strut. Unlocking the door without hanging on to it would cause to violently swing open. Wondering if somebody put wrong one on. Wouldn't a strut gone bad be just the opposite? Thanks
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:58 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
A strut which has lost its gas pressure loses its spring, so it wouldn't do that. A strut which has bad valves in it but still has full gas pressure might open abruptly, but I haven't seen one fail that way on a car hatch, which is where most of these things are used.

They are available with different pressures, described by the force they apply, and a vertically hinged door needs very low force compared to a top hinged hatch for which the strut must counteract the weight of the hatch. My guess is the that yes, somebody put a high-force strut where a low-force strut was needed. They are readily available at RV supply stores and generally easy to install... I had to replace one on my motorhome.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote