Door gasket - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2013, 07:21 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: UHaul
Pennsylvania
Door gasket

Does anyone have a suggestion for a source for a replacement door seal gasket? Preferably a good, watertight seal. Any other tips are appreciated.
Johnny S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:26 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi John, here's a thread just for you! http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...eal-52271.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:29 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Go to the document center on the home page here, then find Uhaul in the list and click on that, then on parts cross reference by Michael and the information may be there. I've heard that the door gasket from some car or minivan will work. I have some that I bought from a member that was selling their Uhaul, but not sure where he got it, and haven't tried to install it yet.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:32 PM   #4

New York
Donna's answer is quicker and easier.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:57 AM   #5

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
John

What type of U haul?
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:49 AM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: UHaul
Pennsylvania
'85 ct 13
Johnny S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:39 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
This person:http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...eal-52271.html used a 2003 Dodge Caravan sliding door gasket liberated from the auto recyclers.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:18 AM   #8

Indiana
Registry
Just for info:
I spent Sat. helping with a door gasket and window replacement on a CT 13 that was made by the Atlanta Trailer Co. I have also been able to look at Pam's CT which was made in Dayton and there are some subtle differences in the trailers. The atlanta made trailer used a gasket mounted to the door. the Gasket first refrenced in this thread is very difficult to install due to the thickness of the seam at the inner door. It literally has to be hammered on. The trailer also came with the pot metal hinges which we will replace and it has been retrofitted with cabinet inserts and an AC(I will post pictures and discuss the AC installation on another thread) We have what appears to be the second refrenced seal and will explore its installation later this week. Based on these observations I assume it is an early model like bob's .
Just a word of caution before you buy the bulb seal check the thickness of the seam. I am assuming that the door installed gasket Was probably the first iteration , I will check the parts book later.
The other difference I noted was the non emergency window seal gasket was the all in one type with the lock strip built in This is the same as is on my door window for my VT. I will update the spreadsheet to include this part number form perfect fit.
Michael J.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeyer View Post
The other difference I noted was the non emergency window seal gasket was the all in one type with the lock strip built in This is the same as is on my door window for my VT. I will update the spreadsheet to include this part number form perfect fit.
Michael J.
Thanks for the update. On my 1985 CT, the non-emergency window seal was also the type with an attached locking strip, as was the door window . The separate locking strip seal worked fine as a replacement, however
Old 09-29-2013, 11:37 AM   #10

Indiana
Registry
was yours made in dayton?
Old 09-29-2013, 12:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeyer View Post
was yours made in Dayton?
Yes, in April 1985
Old 09-29-2013, 01:06 PM   #12

New York
I don't know where ours was made, but same as Tom's it had the window weatherstrip with the attached lock strip on the non emergency window. I have no idea why they did this, you would think it would be easier to just use all the same weatherstrip on both windows, which is what I would have done if I hadn't installed the Scamp window on the curb side. I haven't needed to replace the door seal yet, but I do have some I acquired from another member, however I don't know where he got it or what it is. I sold my excess window weatherstrip to two other members here, one has installed her windows [Pam], the other not yet. EDIT, also of interest may be that the groove widths are different on each side of the rubber weatherstrip, though ideally they would both be the same, 3/16". One of my windows had the 3/16 groove on the fiberglass wall, the other window had the 3/16 groove on the window, so apparently whatever way the installer picked up the weatherstrip is the way it was installed, again no set method, just put it together.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
....... also of interest may be that the groove widths are different on each side of the rubber weatherstrip, though ideally they would both be the same, 3/16". One of my windows had the 3/16 groove on the fiberglass wall, the other window had the 3/16 groove on the window, so apparently whatever way the installer picked up the weatherstrip is the way it was installed, again no set method, just put it together.
Which is why they seem to all leak and the UHaul repair manual says to caulk around the window weather strip with , , silicone.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:59 PM   #14

New York
After I installed the NOS window with the AS-1456 weatherstrip and 789 lock strip, and sealed those two small drilled holes at the top of the window frame, I have had no leaks at all around that window. Also no leakage at the two Scamp windows that I installed, one side and the rear window. I think that way back in prehistoric times someone incorrectly posted the wrong weatherstrip to use, and everyone else blindly followed without checking dimensions themselves, resulting in a not so good seal. Perhaps it was Fred Flintstone!!
Old 09-29-2013, 02:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
......... I think that way back in prehistoric times someone incorrectly posted the wrong weatherstrip to use, and everyone else blindly followed without checking dimensions themselves, resulting in a not so good seal. Perhaps it was Fred Flintstone!!
You are probably right, but the UHaul manual does suggest caulking the weather strip, so maybe the wrong type was used from the get go.
Attached Images

Old 09-29-2013, 03:24 PM   #16

Indiana
Registry
The fiberglass seemed to be thicker on the Atlanta built trailer window and door area than on my VT and was very difficult to peel back from the edges after installation. We are letting the rubber set into shape before testing but will seal the two holes. I went to the .C R lawrence site awhile back and it indicated that the acceptable range for the inner and outer sealing tolerances was within the widths stated , the wider groove came in handy to set the windowin the frame and allowed us to move the window slightly to center it.
I think I would prefer the all in one lock strip as the tool from perfect fit makes it difficult to get around at least one corner due to its length.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:54 PM   #17

New York
Most likely the weatherstrip that Uhaul used was the closest dimension that was available at the time, and as far as I can find the AS 1456 is as close to the required dimensions as possible, but not perfect. The Lisle lock strip tool that I used has 2 tips with 4 possible size openings, and can be installed on the handle either straight or at a 90 degree angle. It was still somewhat of a struggle to get the window into the weatherstrip, and the lock strip in place. As I recall I put the 3/16" groove of the weatherstrip on the window.