Door Handles - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2012, 10:32 PM   #1

Trailer: 1973 Boler
Door Handles

My '73 Boler has a door knob on the outside and one of those tin can type latches on the inside. What kind of knobs are best? It appears that there was perhaps a lever type on the outside at one point. I'm not sure what would be best and would like opinions on your experiences.

Outside: Shelley Work's Photos | Facebook

Inside: Shelley Work's Photos | Facebook
Old 06-19-2012, 12:16 AM   #2

No one has handles on their Boler door?
Old 06-19-2012, 12:37 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley w View Post
My '73 Boler has a door knob on the outside and one of those tin can type latches on the inside. What kind of knobs are best? It appears that there was perhaps a lever type on the outside at one point. I'm not sure what would be best and would like opinions on your experiences.

Outside: Shelley Work's Photos | Facebook

Inside: Shelley Work's Photos | Facebook
According to one RV repair guy that official name is "cab latch". They were used in heavy trucks until the late 80s and early 90s. Scamp still uses them and they can be purchases from Scamp. The door knobs were added and suspect a longer shaft. It looks like there was some real damage done to outside of the door in putting knob on.
This is what the one on my Scamp looks like. I believe some like this was on Bolers too. This also provides locking.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN1958.jpg  
Old 06-19-2012, 08:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
According to one RV repair guy that official name is "cab latch". They were used in heavy trucks until the late 80s and early 90s. Scamp still uses them and they can be purchases from Scamp. The door knobs were added and suspect a longer shaft. It looks like there was some real damage done to outside of the door in putting knob on.
This is what the one on my Scamp looks like. I believe some like this was on Bolers too. This also provides locking.
Thank you Byron. That lever type exterior handle is what I was thinking of rather than a knob like mine has. Yes, there is a great amount of damage on my door - not sure if it was caused by the knob or prior to installing the knob, but either way, we have some work to do on it. I would imagine the lever style can be purchased at most RV supply stores?
Old 06-19-2012, 08:19 AM   #5

Trailer: 1975 Boler
Registry
I just got one that looks identical to the one in Post #3 on Amazon for my '75 Boler. I also saw them at Home Depot or Lowe's in the garage door area. I don't have RV places near me. I had to putty some holes, sand and touch up some damage from the previous handle.

Amazon.com: National Hardware V7641 Garage Door Universal Locking L-Handle, 5/16-Inch Square by 3-11/16-Inch, Chrome: Home Improvement
Evan Friesen is offline   Reply With Quote