Door Hinge ripped off - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2021, 09:26 AM   #1

Name: Jordan
Trailer: Scamp
CO
Door Hinge ripped off

The hinge on 89 5th wheel ripped off the door. The hinge is still attached to the body. Any ideas on how to repair would be much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
20210528_091750.jpg   20210528_091747.jpg  

20210528_091740.jpg  
jbai3_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 10:16 AM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp 1995 19'
North Carolina
How did that happen? I have the 95 19' and it shows no sign of this but I would like a warning if any.
jwcolby123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 10:27 AM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
a competent marine/boat fiberglass repair guy should be able to fix that like new. you'll need a new set of 'racing stripes', although they might be able to fake just the stripe on the door with generic pinstriping material.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 10:45 AM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
I would also like to know how did that happen?

As for fixing it, what I would do is sand the broken surface of each piece till the hairs are gone and all that is left is solid. Get some short strand Bondo filler. Apply a generous amount to both pieces, so that there are no dry spots. Clamp the broken shard into the door using a plastic wrapped piece of wood, which is larger than the broken shard of fibreglass, between the clamp and the fibreglass. This will help spread out the force, and if large enough, it will help line up the surface of the broken piece with the surface of the door. The plastic is to keep the wood from getting glued to the door. I expect that this will squeeze out some of the filler. As much as possible, this should be wiped off. This will not make a perfect repair, so it might be a nessary , after the filler Bondo hardens, to sand off the gel coat on the shard and about an inch around the seam. Then add a layer of glass mat. Sand smooth, maybe some regular Bondo and paint.

I would be tempted to do this with the door mounted to the trailer. That way the hinge would still line up.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 11:09 AM   #5

Name: Jordan
CO
I was backing up with door open, a tree branch caught the door and ripped the hinge off.
jbai3_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 05:55 PM   #6

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Scamp sells the red stripe. I would call rather than order through web site. That way you can ask them to ship it USPS which is a lot cheaper than FedEx the website uses. Especially for a small item.

Auto paint store may carry the 3M stripe remover which can be useful to get the old stripe off without marring gel coat. Not sure it is needed but stripes can be a pain to get off and that works great.

I'm puzzled I can't see any bolt end or nut on the ripped off piece. I would have expected to see a flat headed bolt on the inside that comes out through hinge to be there. Was there a bolt thorugh the door on the piece that ripped out?
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 07:25 AM   #7

Name: Fred
Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Kootenay's of BC
Registry
Hey Jordan, if your a DIYer there is a great thread on how to repair fiberglass here, you can make it look like new.
Dont have a link but I nink the thread is called
You can repair fiberglass
Fred
Old 05-29-2021, 07:56 AM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I’m wondering about all the snap caps running up and down the door. Looks like it’s had some previous repair, possibly to re-curve the door due to a rotted core. I’d like to know more about that as well.

Repair may need to include a proper rebuild of the core and filling all those holes. There are threads detailing various ways that has been done. It can be as good as new, but it’s a fairly involved project,. This is the fiberglass tutorial thread Fred’s talking about:
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ass-52498.html

Or maybe, just maybe, it might be time to cut your losses and buy a new door from Scamp. Not cheap, but it might be the fastest way to get the unit back in service. If you decide to go that route, when you cut the window opening, seal the cut edges of the core with epoxy resin. That’s how all the trouble often starts.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 10:48 AM   #9

Name: Chris
MN
I have done this lower hinge repair 3 different times on 3 different Scamps, twice on the door side and once on the camper side. Fairly common issue, if the wind hits that door seam just rite, or pressure from going down the road, or any fairly minor tweak, the Fiberglass just gives way. The simple way is basically creating a Metal plate that reinforces the hinge and also covers the damage, better yet is to do the Fiberglass Repair from both sides, and add a few extra layers to give it some extra support. Everything you would need (Mat, Resin, Hardener) would be under $20, and a few feet of stripe would be $3-4 (Stripes peel rite off with hair dryer). If you don't want to go to the trouble of Gel-coating the repair, Rustoleum 2x "Appliance Epoxy" spray paint is very close to the factory finish. Don't let fiberglass repair scare you, it's dead simple, just lay your mat soaked in epoxy, build your layers up and sand smooth. Re-Drill your hinge holes, use huge washers behind the inside nuts (spread force) and slap on a new decal stripe. Yes, I would guess someone tried to re-core that door, likely it was pulling away at the bottom. Huge Job, and not often successful. As mentioned, could always replace the door, fitment would be a crapshoot, color would be off and would be itching towards $1k when all said and done. Pick your poison.
XBeatzX is offline   Reply With Quote