Door latch lil bigfoot - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2020, 09:45 AM   #1

Name: Steve
Trailer: Lil Bigfoot 13.5
Saskatchewan
Door latch lil bigfoot

I attempted to unlock and open my door today and felt something let go in the mechanism. I cant open fhe door and expect i will have to remove the door from the outside. Take the latch off and replace it. Can anybody advise on where to get a replacement latch? Is this a generic item?
stevelilbigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 11:58 AM   #2

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
Steve on amazon Kohree. They are available at RV centers. You Can't get the door off without it being open. Is it locked ? if locked the throw of the lock is inside the aluminum door frame. if it is just latched, prying the door with a really wide pry bar may work. tapping on the latch with a small hammer while trying to work the key. Is either side window unlocked ? sink side slightly bigger, so a small person can get inside ( child ). You break the door window. very standard to replace. Find one first. Remove front or rear window and reset, must be done with care to not damage the seal or crack the Plexiglas. I have replaced my rear window; must cut the adhesive, don't scratch the plastic, glue back in place and push the seal back in place.
Later Kenny
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 09:30 PM   #3

Saskatchewan
After playing with it this evening, it does seem to be latched (not locked). Actually I think the latch bolt isn't coming back out far enough to clear the striker. So to be clear, you are saying I can't take the door frame off by taking the 20 or so screws out from around the perimeter of the door with the door closed, and removing the door and frame in one piece?
Old 08-16-2020, 09:32 PM   #4

Saskatchewan
can you explain a bit more clearly how one would use a pry bar? Or tapping the lock? I can actually lock and unlock the mechanism but can't seen to open the door.
Old 08-17-2020, 11:43 AM   #5

Saskatchewan
k im in, went through the window. And door is open.
Thanks for the comments!
Old 08-22-2020, 12:20 AM   #6

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
Smile

I don't know what happens if you unscrew the screws that hold the frame in place. I don't want to try.
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 09:51 AM   #7

Saskatchewan
I am actually doing a gut/restore. Had to remove/replace rotted floor, so I actually have some experience. I have had the door frame off to replace the wooden inside frame that the aluminum outside frame screws to previously. My guess is that the whole door including frame could be removed by taking the perimeter screws out. even if locked. In fact you do want the door closed to remove the frame to maintain structure.

In this instance, I had actually taken one of the inside window frames off the day prior to getting locked out to replace the wood panelling on that side of the camper. So I was then able to pop the window off from the outside, and crawl through the window.

My ultimate problem was not the locking mechanism, but the door striker which was bent. I replaced it (8 bucks at a local rv shop). I should have done it a long time ago. Life is good again!

Tags
bigfoot