Door latch that locks on the inside - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2021, 05:16 AM   #1

Name: Lynn
Trailer: Casita Spirit 16'
Indiana
Door latch that locks on the inside

Hello Casita friends! I would like some ideas on what kind of a door latch I could put on my Casita that would lock on the inside. My teenage niece, Logan, camps with me and she has autism. I need a way to make sure that she can't get out in the night. I have been using a motion detector on the door knob but it wakes us up unnecessarily sometimes. I have to get a new door handle anyway, so I'd like something that keeps her safely in (of course only when I'm in there too.) Suggestions? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180522_144408.jpg  
Indiana Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 07:01 AM   #2

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
You don't want a door that impedes emergency egress. Very unsafe. Maybe look into a perimeter device like the electric fences for dogs? Or an alarm that goes off when the door is opened.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 09:36 AM   #3

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
After raising 5 kids, (some of them escape artists) I found a cheap door alarm, like this:
https://www.amazon.ca/SABRE-Wireless.../dp/B00M30SKM0

That was the end of midnight expeditions.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 06:57 PM   #4

Name: Chris
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
David..
You amaze me, and probably a whole bunch of others, with your knowledge, experience and practical solutions.. Thanks for making the time to share your insight..
Old 11-19-2021, 06:39 PM   #5

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
After raising 5 kids, (some of them escape artists) I found a cheap door alarm, like this:
https://www.amazon.ca/SABRE-Wireless.../dp/B00M30SKM0

That was the end of midnight expeditions.
We have one on our screen doors on our RV and Casita so at night we can leave the outside door open when it is hot and if someone opens our screen door somehow we'll be awoken. We have a screen door hook type latch on the screen doors in a location that people can't reach from the slide in the door. So the screen can't be opened easily. We also have a plastic screen door cover to keep pets in and people out but still have lots of air. These things help a lot.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 07:11 PM   #6

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from Comox View Post
David..
You amaze me, and probably a whole bunch of others, with your knowledge, experience and practical solutions.. Thanks for making the time to share your insight..
Aww... common, your embarrassing me.

Thanks though.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 11:34 AM   #7

Name: Robert
Trailer: Airstream 23D International Serenity
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Lynn View Post
Hello Casita friends! I would like some ideas on what kind of a door latch I could put on my Casita that would lock on the inside. My teenage niece, Logan, camps with me and she has autism. I need a way to make sure that she can't get out in the night. I have been using a motion detector on the door knob but it wakes us up unnecessarily sometimes. I have to get a new door handle anyway, so I'd like something that keeps her safely in (of course only when I'm in there too.) Suggestions? Thanks!
What a beautiful, dear child! Seeing here photo and reading that she camps with you just made my day! Surely we see God in those around us.

Robert
Old 11-26-2021, 10:52 AM   #8

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
just my two cents, but my door latch locks on the inside, from the factory, so do many, many, many trailer door locks. My wife can't sleep if the door is left unlocked, just like in our house.

Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 11:55 AM   #9

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Yeah, most trailers/RV's have a door lock assembly that permits the lock to be used from the inside. Generally in the form of a flip-over toggle lever which will prevent someone outside from coming into your trailer uninvited. But that said, that same flip lever will just as easily unlock the door from inside by anyone in there, and that won't prevent anyone from surreptitiously exiting in the middle of the night. From inside, it's easy to lock, and also just as easy to unlock simply by flipping the lever over. You need some kind of magnetic "make or break" contact switch with a magnetic sensor wired up that will sound an audible alarm if the door is opened.

https://www.amazon.com/HENDUN-Wirele...949229&sr=8-16
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 04:56 PM   #10

Name: Heather
Trailer: Trail Mite
Michigan
Registry
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01347EM22...v_ov_lig_dp_it

This one looks identical to my original latch, and is what I'm using to replace my rusted one. The one on my Trail Mite is original and has a lock. Is that not a standard practice? To lock your door at night? One of the reasons I bought a camper was because it had a lock and the tent didn't. Or am I misunderstanding the type of lock you are askind about?
Mitten Mitsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 08:25 PM   #11

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
The problem is that the OP wanted a lock to keep her child from opening the door and wandering off. However any lock that can do that will also be an impediment to anyone trying to escape a trailer in the dark while choking on thick smoke from a fire. So just like your home, the lock should be effective at preventing people from coming in from outside but should never slow down anyone trying to exit in an emergency. Original Scamps have a pin that inserts in the works and prevents the door latch from being turned and the door opened. But in an emergency it is quick and easy to pull the pin, or the chain it is attached, to release the lock and then open the door... even in the smoke filled dark. At your home you might have a deadbolt operated by a key on the outside, but on the inside it would be a lever.. never a key operated lock on the interior of the home.

So some sort of alarm is the best option to deal with wandering children at night. But don't use a lock that might be hard to use in a panic stricken emergency.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 11:52 PM   #12

Indiana
Forgot to say thank you for your kind words. Follow me on Facebook if you want to see more of what Logan and I do. Lynn Gottschalk, Indianapolis
Old 04-27-2022, 11:56 PM   #13

Indiana
All of our door at home prevent her from getting out without me. If we die, we die together. You CAN NOT allow an autistic child access to get out without you. They will!! My niece has no danger filter. BTW, she knows how to get out of the fire escape window over my bed and can do that if I am unresponsive.
Old 04-28-2022, 06:42 AM   #14

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
So are you using double cylinder deadbolts at home? They are intended to be used only when the home is unoccupied, but some people ignore that caveat. There is no RV equivalent- keyed on both sides- for obvious reasons of safety and liability.

You could probably rig up some kind of hasp on the inside with a keyed lock, but for safety I prefer the alarm route. I agree that simple motion detectors are prone to false alarms. What you want is the kind with two parts, one on the door and one on the wall, that detects when the door is physically opened.

This is a very specific situation. I’m wondering if you might get some creative solutions (preferable ones that don’t compromise your safety) on a site for caretakers of individuals with autism. Surely there are others who have dealt with RV travel.

Your niece is blessed to have you in her life. I’m sure she loves traveling with you!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote