door locks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2018, 07:53 PM   #1

Name: Rick
Trailer: Boler
Saskatchewan
Registry
door locks

Is anyone familiar with this type of door lock? I think it is original to my '72 Boler and I would like to know if and how I can lock the door from the inside.

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1650.JPG   IMG_1651.JPG  

R A Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 09:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
That is pretty much the old Scamp latch,(similar) in your case the outside handle is a typical pickup truck topper handle.
The Scamp latch has a hole drilled in it in which a pin is placed to lock it from inside to prevent moving the handle. An 1/8" hole in the right place will do the trick.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 06:06 AM   #3

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
There should be a hole already drilled into the housing on the top of the box near the three mounting screws. I thought the hole was part of the handle manufacturers original configuration. The previous owner of our Scamp had a cotter pin attached to a short piece of cord to keep the pin attached to the handle so you could "lock" the door and not have to search for the pin.

bill (not laura)
Old 06-05-2018, 07:08 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
door locks

I have heard replacement latches from Scamp lack the hole and pin. Easy enough to add. On new builds Scamp supplies a wire pin attached to one of the mounting screws with a short length of chain. (Make that past tense- new Scamps now have a conventional RV lockset with paddle handle.)

The outside handle is a standard square shaft used in a variety of applications, including pick-up caps, garage doors, and old-fashioned delivery trucks. I found garage door handles in both T and L configurations to fit my Scamp at a hardware store. In the end I located a contoured handle just like OEM on the shelf at a local RV shop. The shaft has to be cut to length, based on the thickness of the door.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:49 AM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I have heard replacement latches from Scamp lack the hole and pin. Easy enough to add. On new builds Scamp supplies a wire pin attached to one of the mounting screws with a short length of chain. (Make that past tense- new Scamps now have a conventional RV lockset with paddle handle.)

The outside handle is a standard square shaft used in a variety of applications, including pick-up caps, garage doors, and old-fashioned delivery trucks. I found garage door handles in both T and L configurations to fit my Scamp at a hardware store. In the end I located a contoured handle just like OEM on the shelf at a local RV shop. The shaft has to be cut to length, based on the thickness of the door.
As you know...

That wire pin , along with the latch itself, is now a thing of the past, they now use a standard RV latch and a new hinge design along with a new mold for the door and the new gasket.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote