Door locks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2019, 09:55 AM   #1

Name: Eric
Trailer: currently shopping
Texas
Door locks

Hello

New to the RV forums, I am looking a purchasing a 2014 Eggcamper, and do not have any keys for it. any ideas where keys can be purchased, other than getting a locksmith. any suggestions will be appreciated,
P.s. the trailer is locked now and don't want to drill locks
thanks
ewramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 11:22 AM   #2

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewramp View Post
Hello

New to the RV forums, I am looking a purchasing a 2014 Eggcamper, and do not have any keys for it. any ideas where keys can be purchased, other than getting a locksmith. any suggestions will be appreciated,
P.s. the trailer is locked now and don't want to drill locks
thanks
Sorry but you will need to take out the lock and then replace the cylinder in it with a new one that comes with new keys. You could learn on youtube how do DIY it and even learn how to buy and use a set of lock picks.

But a better idea is to convince the current owner that they need to get a locksmith out there and put in a new cylinder since buyers to want to inspect the interior of the trailer. Just be sure that the seller has the real title to that specific trailer before you buy it. Check the VIN numbers.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 11:38 AM   #3

Texas
thanks
the locksmith was the answer I was afraid of but you are probably right, I had heard that there was only about four of five different keys for these locks.

Oh well such is life.
Old 12-21-2019, 12:58 PM   #4

Name: Shangie
Trailer: Northwood Nash 22/1977 Trillium 4500
Washington
I am having a real hard time understanding how anyone would expect to sell a trailer with a locked front door. The advice about the title is good advice- this may be a stolen trailer. it happens. ALSO- heard a dealer say that most RV locks are easily picked and that thieves get info on how to pick specific ones through YouTube videos and online forums. It might be a good idea to not publicly give out any information that would help a thief. Perhaps sending a private message to a known member is a safe alternative if one does have knowledge on how to break into a trailer?
Shangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 01:17 PM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
indeed, the locks on these things are something a decent locksmith can pick in about 20 seconds with a jiggler.

something like this...
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 06:23 PM   #6

Texas
Not stolen... has been on a storage lot for 4 years, no rent has been payed, lot owner has been unable to contact registered owner by mail or phone. will sell to me at a real reasonable price. manuf. date may of 2014, I am a retired peace officer so I won't be conned. will run title search first. needless to say It looks good on outside, need to see inside...…….very late manufacture date one of last ones produced.
Old 12-21-2019, 06:41 PM   #7

Name: Shangie
Trailer: Northwood Nash 22/1977 Trillium 4500
Washington
Locks

How FUN! Maybe you found an oldy but goody. I would imagine that the circumstances surrounding abandonment of a trailer aren't happy but it would be nice to see it rescued. Good luck!
Shangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 07:31 PM   #8

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Not stolen... has been on a storage lot for 4 years, no rent has been payed, lot owner has been unable to contact registered owner by mail or phone. will sell to me at a real reasonable price. manuf. date may of 2014, I am a retired peace officer so I won't be conned. will run title search first. needless to say It looks good on outside, need to see inside...…….very late manufacture date one of last ones produced.
Ahh the plot thickens...

I wonder how versed you are in Texas law regarding abandoned property. A very cursory Google search leads me to think you might be able to legally obtain this item.

But the complications are many. How can you legally access the camper without the assistance of the owner? Would you buy it without seeing the inside? I assume its titled so how would you obtain good title? Can the storage company sell it? Do they need to obtain title before they can sell it? Is it even considered a vehicle and subject to the same Texas law regarding abandoned vehicles?

Frankly I doubt I would go forward except under the advice of an attorney, and his or her fee would need to be added to the cost.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 10:44 PM   #9

Texas
you worry to much, where there is a will there's a way, besides who's going to know if I get in or not......……….hmmmm maybe I should give up...……...NOT...……..thanks for the negative vibes LOL.
Old 12-22-2019, 03:34 AM   #10

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Towing companies end up with a lot of vehicles where the owner can't be found or else refuses to pay the fees. So they too need to be able to legally sell those vehicles. All the states have a legal process the towing companies can undertake to get a title to it.

That certainly does explain why there is no key.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 08:34 AM   #11

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Towing companies end up with a lot of vehicles where the owner can't be found or else refuses to pay the fees. So they too need to be able to legally sell those vehicles. All the states have a legal process the towing companies can undertake to get a title to it.
Yes that was my point.. one needs to know what the abandonment law is, even to the extent of knowing if a camper is treated the same as a vehicle. I'm sure it can be done if the storage place does their part. But its easy to make an expensive mistake and I'm not sure its worth the effort.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 10:13 AM   #12

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
It's really just all about who takes the risk. If the seller can't show me the inside, I take the risk. In return, I expect to save a lot of money. Then I am perfectly fine taking the risk.

Just get a HUGE discount since you can't see the inside. Then drive it to your favorite locksmith and get a key made.

Seller would be wise to have a key made as they will get 10X that $$ back in the form of a higher price. So a lazy seller means a BIG discount! Score!! I'd take the risk on a unit that is only 5 to 6 years old (with the proper discount). No way/no how I am paying full market value for a trailer I can't inspect the inside.

I really like the Eggcampers!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 10:15 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Maybe they can't reach the owner because his body is inside the trailer?
Old 12-22-2019, 02:03 PM   #14

Texas
Body inside the trailer......I thought about that,...... Pop the door and you will know real quick, …..a smell you never forget, been there done that...….
The lot owner is a friend and has no idea what the trailer is worth, he has no interest in scamming me, so by hook or crook the inside will be inspected ….LOL no money will be exchanged until title is in hand.
Old 12-28-2019, 11:24 AM   #15

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
I have a nephew in Colorado who owns/operates a towing company. If a vehicle (including towable trailers) owner doesn't pay towing and yard storage within 30 days, the Sheriff can issue him a title to do with the vehicle as he wishes. People with nice vehicles bail them out quickly. But he gets left with a lot of junk vehicles that aren't worth the fees. He donates many of them to area emergency response people, (police, search and rescue, etc.) to practice emergency extractions (using "jaws of life", etc.). Back to topic, it seems the storage facility owner needs to legally take ownership of the EggCamper for non-payment of storage fees before letting anyone do anything with it, or sell it at auction or whatever the storage agreement says will be done if non-payment.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 02:11 PM   #16

Name: Rick
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Quote:
Unless some one paid cash and then abandoned it, the bank owns it and you will have to buy it from them
Rick In Mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 02:32 PM   #17

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
At this point after reading this whole thread I could only manage to care less
Ten minutes of my life wasted and lost forever.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 02:54 PM   #18

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Perhaps you can remove the hinges and door to gain interior access and then remove the lock and install a new set. Another option is to remove the door window. I replaced my door window on my EggCamper with an opening window, there are not that many opening windows in an Eggcamper.
Old 12-28-2019, 03:15 PM   #19

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:
thanks
the locksmith was the answer I was afraid of but you are probably right, I had heard that there was only about four of five different keys for these locks.

Oh well such is life.

One hint on locksmiths. Generally if you can take it to them they are A LOT cheaper. example opening my car on a site about 10 minutes from the lock smith was about $150. But taking it in and having the locks to the t tops picked and replaced with ones that they had keys to was $30.

And after all the thing is mobile, right. ;-)
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 03:30 PM   #20

Name: Stebe
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Im not even good at picking locks and i can pick a casita door in 10 seconds. If you have a friend who does any lock picking they could open it. Or you could get a pick yourself.
swhird is offline   Reply With Quote