Door Popped Open - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2016, 07:18 AM   #21

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimmit View Post
Had this happen to me I installed a lock hasp. Like the one you'd put in a shed only it has the built in lock. The door will never come open again while driving. It's also added security when I'm away from it. I do lock the lock mechanism so you can't fold the hasp over and lock me in.
I contemplated the same solution, but then wanted something that would provide constant pressure on the door seal. I was afraid that the hinges might be stressed if the door had any residual play and moved a bit while driving on a rough road.

Also, I replaced the door seal with the better D-section (not the latest from Scamp) and while doing it, I had to build up several areas with a double sided foam tape, since the shape did not match perfectly.

From previous experience I found that any exposed adhesive on such tapes collects dirt and debris and looks awful in no time. I applied baby (talcum) powder to all exposed adhesive and now it remains as clean as the cleanest baby's bottom.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:56 AM   #22

Name: Jim
Trailer: Compact Junior
Saskatchewan
Wink Door security

Quote:
Originally Posted by emij View Post
We were finally able to get the Scamp out camping again last weekend. Our last trip was about a month ago and one of the door hinges broke during that trip. I replaced them and made sure that everything was lined up properly for the door latch and for opening and closing.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...off-75594.html

On the way home this past weekend, we were about six blocks from the house when someone pulled up next to us yelling and motioning that the door was open

We stopped, I hopped out, and sure enough, it was open. I KNOW that it was latched tight when we left the campground because I pulled on it twice to make sure (I worry about this exact scenario!)

We did hit a really rough spot in the road so maybe that's what caused it to open? When I purchased the new hinges, I also purchased a new handle and lock set because sometimes it is REALLY hard to latch closed from the inside. I obviously haven't replaced it yet, but after doing some reading, I've discovered that many people actually switch out to a different RV type latch and lock. I really like the look of the original hardware, so I guess my question is this:

Was this a one-off situation due to flex from hitting the rough spot in the road? Does anyone think changing the handle and lock set to a new Scamp set will do the trick or should I switch to a different style all together?

After we got home, I tried and tried to get the latch to pop and open and couldn't get it to do so while locked, but I really don't want to worry about the door opening again while in transit.
I am not sure this is helpful but .....after fears of back door popping open on my Hunter Compact Junior, I installed a retro-looking dead bolt on the door and frame. When engaged, I have no fear of an accidental opening and it serves to provide security when in campsite.
jish is offline   Reply With Quote