Door sagging? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2008, 04:40 PM   #1

Trailer: 1960 28 ft Airstream
What is causing my door to literally be unopenable by the time I finish towing to my destination? It acts like it is sagging, and jamming, my son had to climb thru a window to open the door. It also acts like the lock is jamming, but it is really the door. There doesn't appear to be any broken hinges or cracking. Any ideas?

Pam
Pamela H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 06:05 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
It's obviously binding. Did you make sure the trailer was level before you tried to open it? My 1988 gives me grief every once in a while, if it's hooked to the tug and one wheel on the trailer is lower than the other. I don't have problems once it's unhooked and level, however. Others may have a different idea.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 10:48 AM   #3

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Quote:
What is causing my door to literally be unopenable by the time I finish towing to my destination? It acts like it is sagging, and jamming, my son had to climb thru a window to open the door. It also acts like the lock is jamming, but it is really the door. There doesn't appear to be any broken hinges or cracking. Any ideas?

Pam

Have you (or previous owners) done any 'customizing' to the inside, like removal of any body parts? Most of the innerds of these eggs are actually for support to help keep the shells from imploding on themselves. If there were some of this work done, (parts removable) it 'might' have weakened the shell enough to give that collapsed effect. The frame also MIGHT be cracked which, once the trailer is leveled, might make this problem go away, but come back after being in transit...
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 10:55 AM   #4

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
My guess a crack in the frame.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 04:15 PM   #5

Trailer: 1960 28 ft Airstream
Quote:
Have you (or previous owners) done any 'customizing' to the inside, like removal of any body parts? Most of the innerds of these eggs are actually for support to help keep the shells from imploding on themselves. If there were some of this work done, (parts removable) it 'might' have weakened the shell enough to give that collapsed effect. The frame also MIGHT be cracked which, once the trailer is leveled, might make this problem go away, but come back after being in transit...
No modifications to the inside...esp as the burro has molded pieces to the shell, as opposed to removable. Where would I look for frame cracking?

Pam
Pamela H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 10:16 PM   #6

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
I'm not at all familiar with the frame on your make of trailer, the weak spot on Trilliums seems to be at the front where the frame takes a nosedive under the front of the glass shell, ....MAYBE start looking there???
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 03:03 PM   #7

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Wait for a fairly warmer day, crawl under the trailer with a really strong light and examine every square inch of the frame.
If there are any cracks you'll see them with a strong light.
If found , find a welder that can patch them up.
If you don't see any try again next year.

My Burro had failed at the "A" area on both side sometime in its past and was repaired, the repair is better than the rest of the frame.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote