Door window covering for privacy? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2018, 11:04 AM   #21

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
Scamp and Escape door windows

Our 16 Scamp had the marbled/frosted glass by the kitchen area as one would not want curtains by the stove. We did hang a towel over this to block light in many sites that had "Daylight" 24/7 for security.

When we recently received our 19 Escape there was a piece of "frosted glass" contact paper cut to fit the door window. All other windows have shades.

I opted not to put the contact paper over the window as when it is Esmé's Last Call for the night I often watch through the door window to verify all required actions were accomplished and she did not simply stand there for a few minutes and ask to come back it.

Mainly being a "Cold weather" wimp I may not want to stand outside during cool/cold weather that would require getting suited up for weather.

For our week-long shakedown pull in Mich. I simply used a dishtowel poked up into the upper door frame.

Many interesting suggestions for shades offered here I may want to consider.

Cheers all,

Bat Dude and family
Old 10-16-2018, 04:55 PM   #22

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
Red face door

Our Casita has frosted door glass. If I wantd to block a plane-pane door temporarily, I wd stick a picture of my dog inside the glass, like we saw at a campground last August. Funny too. woff woff
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:21 PM   #23

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
a bunch of the Cruise America wildly painted rental RVs have dogs in their door windows...
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:51 PM   #24

Name: Bruce
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
New Hampshire
Not sure about pre-2017 Escape classics, but on my 2017 E19 what appears to be molded, patterned privacy glass is actually a self-adhesive film. Really has the 3D look, however.
BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:08 PM   #25

Name: Bob & Jackie
Trailer: 13' Scamp, 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe
Arizona
Window Coverings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branklins View Post
Hi there,

We're almost done renovating our '82 Scamp 13' and we're using it for the first time this Friday and realized we don't have curtains/blinds/a shade for the door on the window. As you all know, this window is very small. What did other people use to cover this window? For both sleeping, and getting changed inside, it seems like there must be a common solution that we haven't thought of yet!

Thanks all!
Hi,
On both our 13' Scamp and 17' Spirit Deluxe we have our windows tinted dark for day time privacy and for heat reduction from the sun. Visability is great looking out and no one can see in. At night we close the curtains and put up reflective material on door window with velcro.
Bob & Jackie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 04:56 PM   #26

Name: Brett
Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13'
Oregon
Hi all,

What we ended up doing was installing some screw in snaps to hold the curtain up, then when we're not using it we can either unsnap it, or roll it up and hold it up with hair clips.

Branklins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 08:12 PM   #27

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I did not see your posting until today. You executed a beautiful solution! What's interesting, to me, is that your Scamp door does not have "rat fur" nor the upper and lower cafe curtain rods that come standard in a new Scamp. This photo shows the original Scamp door window curtain. (For some reason, I do not have the lower rod in place.) In addition, I put a custom black out shade made of Ron Loc fabric which rolls up and down by hand. The rod extends on both sides of the curtain rod holders thereby allowing it to stay in place above the curtain. In this photo you can see the bottom of the shade hanging below the curtain.
FYI We were parked on a field behind a winery (with permission) on this camping trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Lodi, Scamp, Mom's, Packing 043.jpg  
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 08:16 PM   #28

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
What's interesting, to me, is that your Scamp door does not have "rat fur" nor the upper and lower cafe curtain rods that come standard in a new Scamp.
It's because it is a 1982, ensolite wallcovering. Rat Fur was used in later years.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 02:36 PM   #29

Name: Bush
Trailer: Vagabond
Nevada
I just hang an american flag over mine
BushWacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 03:10 PM   #30

Name: V
Trailer: Hunter Compact II
WV
Registry
I got and installed the window film - "https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QVT6QAM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 " - It is suprisingly easy if you follow directions. In the daylight I have privacy - you can see out but can't see in. It also helps with keeping the summer heat out too. For night time, I use double layer curtains.
VLynnStudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 10:02 PM   #31

Trailer: 1978 UNIK
Registry
door window cover

I made a double thick piece of fabric, with shade cloth in between - size of window. Dave bent heavy wire the shape of the window. The wire fit in the groove around the window. I tacked the fabric curtain to the wire. To install, just have to flex the wire slightly so it fits snuggly in groove for privacy. Can be easily popped out for light. Works great in the UNIK's door.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:27 PM   #32

Trailer: 1978 UNIK
Registry
Pictures of our window cover. First pic is of outsde of door. 2nd is inside view of window cover installed in groove. 3rd shows wire visible at bottom of window.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0986_LI.jpg   IMG_1040_LI.jpg  

IMG_1050_LI.jpg  
Old 10-27-2018, 11:02 PM   #33

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
so just curious...can you actually moon someone through the window when they are walking by the door?

If could be very useful at times to deter nosey neighbors. They might even decide to pack up and move to a better neighborhood giving you some real privacy

Get a couple of stick on dish towel holders and put them in place above/beside the window. Easy to push a light weight dish towel into them as needed, easy to remove the towel when you don't want a window covering. No need to do anything expensive, nothing major or permanent. No screws, no rods to install, no sewing, no magnets to keep track of. You can even color coordinate the towel with your interior scheme.

Name:   towel holder.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  6.5 KB
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 12:26 AM   #34

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceW View Post
Not sure about pre-2017 Escape classics, but on my 2017 E19 what appears to be molded, patterned privacy glass is actually a self-adhesive film. Really has the 3D look, however.
on my 2014 E21, the door window is most certainly corrogated or whatever glass, on the outside, you can feel the big chunky surface. anyways, the curtain inside provides temporary privacy even if the door is latched open and maybe the screen is closed.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote