Double sided tape - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2022, 06:04 AM   #1

Trailer: U-Haul
SE Pennsylvania
Double sided tape

There are a few items I want to hang inside my double shell trailer (smooth gelcoat inside).

3M VHB double dided tape has been mentioned here on the forum. A bit of research reveals there are many varieties of the tape. Different thicknesses for smooth or rough surfaces. Different adhesives for use on various materials and temperatures. The options are a bit overwhelming.

Do any folks here have experience with this tape? Is there one part number that has become the standard for our trailers?
Craig D. Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 06:30 AM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Many types are available. Personally I’d use a tape that has the 3M label on it. Doesn’t mean it wasn’t made in china but, it is a high quality product.

May $.02
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 07:01 AM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita
NC
I use this to hold up a shelf inside my camper and my solar panels on the roof. So far so good.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
My Casita YouTube videos
Shocksll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 09:20 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig D. Thompson View Post
There are a few items I want to hang inside my double shell trailer (smooth gelcoat inside).

3M VHB double dided tape has been mentioned here on the forum. A bit of research reveals there are many varieties of the tape. Different thicknesses for smooth or rough surfaces. Different adhesives for use on various materials and temperatures. The options are a bit overwhelming.

Do any folks here have experience with this tape? Is there one part number that has become the standard for our trailers?
I've been using 3M RP45 on my products for 15+ years. It's 0.045 inches thick, rated for exterior use (aka bathrooms) and has a peel strength of 20 lbs per square inch when allowed a full 72 hour cure time prior to being loaded. Good to 200F and closed cell foam.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 01:01 PM   #5

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
I use this VHB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig D. Thompson View Post
Now if some one can just tell me how to get the backing ofF! Always clean BOTH surfaces with cheap alcohol before application.This looks like a different listing for the same product as above.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 12:26 PM   #6

Name: Joel
Trailer: Casita SD
Texas
Some RVers who use it to secure solar panels to the roof claim that it lasts longer when a sealant is applied along the edges of the tape, after it is stuck in place.

Apparently, the sealant helps keep the foam backing from degrading over time, and discourages moisture from seeping in between the tape adhesive and mounting surface.
JoelInTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 02:37 PM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita
NC
Agreed, i added dicor and eternabond to mine.
Attached Thumbnails
B75461D7-9DA0-4DFE-8AF5-56D5306B8D14.jpg   D9857BC6-43E6-44FD-8F9E-7C4933C78A8A.jpg  

97069113-41DD-4858-BF57-D28F522E616C.jpg  
Shocksll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 10:28 PM   #8

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
for small interior stuff like hooks, the 3M "Command" strips work great on a slick surface like gel coat.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 01:34 PM   #9

Name: Shannon
Trailer: 2002 Scamp 13' Std, Honda CRV
Washington
Has anyone attached a keder rail for an awning with VHB tape? I plan to use the Sailrite plastic flanged awning rail with the keder rope awning. I really don't want to drill holes so looking at VHB or gluing. I read somewhere that if you need to remove the VHB it can peel apart the fiberglass..? Anyone have experience using VHB for this application?
Shannon Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 10:10 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Thompson View Post
Has anyone attached a keder rail for an awning with VHB tape? I plan to use the Sailrite plastic flanged awning rail with the keder rope awning. I really don't want to drill holes so looking at VHB or gluing. I read somewhere that if you need to remove the VHB it can peel apart the fiberglass..? Anyone have experience using VHB for this application?
I use many rolls of 3M RP45 VHB tape on my products; exterior rated to 200F, 20 lb per square inch peel strength when cured 72 hours, and 0.045 inches thick.It is easily removed using fishing line like a saw to cut the inner foam in half. Thereafter, roll the tape up like a tootsie roll to remove. Any residue can be removed with acetone with no damage to fiberglass.

Old 09-04-2022, 10:17 PM   #11

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I use many rolls of 3M RP45 VHB tape on my products; exterior rated to 200F, 20 lb per square inch peel strength when cured 72 hours, and 0.045 inches thick.It is easily removed using fishing line like a saw to cut the inner foam in half. Thereafter, roll the tape up like a tootsie roll to remove. Any residue can be removed with acetone with no damage to fiberglass.
"...fishing line like a saw and roll like a tootsie roll..." That is scathingly brilliant! What a great tip. Thank you! Very helpful...on with the project.
Old 09-05-2022, 04:09 PM   #12

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Thompson View Post

Hi Shannon---yes, I used the VHB tape to secure my Keder rail from Sailrite, and it has been in place since 2018. Never had any issue with it separating from the fiberglass and I have taken it over 10,000 kms with it in place.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 05:32 PM   #13

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p View Post
Hi Shannon---yes, I used the VHB tape to secure my Keder rail from Sailrite, and it has been in place since 2018. Never had any issue with it separating from the fiberglass and I have taken it over 10,000 kms with it in place.
Thank you, Theresa, appreciate your feedback. Curious -- what did you use for an awning? I'm looking at 1) sewing something myself from Sunbrella; 2) modifying a camping tarp; 3) ordering something from Marti's awnings (https://www.martisawnings.com/).

Happy trails.
S.
Old 09-05-2022, 09:50 PM   #14
Commercial Member

Oregon
fyi, VHB is short for Very High Bond in 3M speak. Same stuff is now used to build semi truck trailers; the walls are taped to the frame, so there are no more rivets dimpling those walls. Makes it easier to overlay those gorgeous graphics.

Old 09-05-2022, 10:03 PM   #15

Mid Left Coast
FWIW, my kid used VHB to attach the aluminum skin panels to the welded aluminum frame of the expedition camper he's built...

truck with frame,

skins being attached,

its been road tested at freeway speeds in heavy gusty winds, and so far has held up just fine.
Old 09-05-2022, 10:32 PM   #16

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
FWIW, my kid used VHB to attach the aluminum skin panels to the welded aluminum frame of the expedition camper he's built...

truck with frame,

skins being attached,

its been road tested at freeway speeds in heavy gusty winds, and so far has held up just fine.
Wow - that is impressive...I will never drill another hole! This has all been very useful. My next project is to add solar to the Scamp -- including a panel on the roof. Thanks for all the feedback.
Old 09-05-2022, 11:28 PM   #17
Commercial Member

Oregon
Big budget for clamps! Those aren't cheap ones - probably close to the cost of the skins....

Old 09-10-2022, 02:59 AM   #18

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Big budget for clamps! Those aren't cheap ones - probably close to the cost of the skins....
Probably borrowed.... My kid is working as a post-doc researcher in Geology at Oxford, mapping earthquake faults in central Asia, so has to get by on a tight budget.