Dream ttailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2020, 04:12 PM   #1

Name: Bonnie
Trailer: Bethany
Colorado
Dream ttailer

I THINK I have found my dream trailer. The gelcoat is 90% good, just one spot that seems to have primer over it. Is it possible to paint over it? Add new gelcoat? 73 Love Bug.
Bonnie in Badito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 04:29 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Before you deal with exterior cosmetics, I’d want make sure the floor and frame are solid.

Do a very thorough inspection of the floor from outside and inside, paying special attention inside benches and lower cabinets around the outer perimeter. Look, poke gently with a screwdriver, and smell for signs of water damage.

Check the frame for cracks, repairs, or deep rust. The likely trouble spots are under the front of the cabin.

Returning to the shell, gelcoat repair is possible but expensive if the area is very large. Paint- typically a marine topside product-is an option.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 05:17 PM   #3

Name: Bonnie
Trailer: Bethany
Colorado
Gelcoat

Thanks Jon. Need to make decision by Sun PM. Will poke at all.... There is no damage to be seen, not sure why area looks like gray primer....
Bonnie in Badito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 07:34 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Hard to say what’s under the primer. It could be some fiberglass damage, which may or may not have been properly repaired. Could be some kind of patch over a vent that was removed. Can you see and reach the inside behind the primered area? What account does the seller give?

Some pictures might help.

Fiberglass is repairable, but unless you are willing to do it yourself, it can get expensive fast. Same with repairing the floor and/or frame. And that’s on top of lots of smaller things that will inevitably need attention in an older trailer.

The market is crazy right now, and trailers are selling for thousands more than a few years ago, even projects.

Is there someone that can be a second pair of eyes when you go back to inspect the trailer, preferably someone that’s handy? As hard as these trailers are to find, it’s easy to become emotionally invested in a purchase and end up with more of a project than you realized.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote