Drilling stainless steel sheet metal? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2007, 06:47 PM   #1

Trailer: 29 ft Arctic Fox and 17 ft Bigfoot
Angry

I am fabricating a roof rack for my 17' Bigfoot. I have some 1/32' stainless steel channel that will work very well for this application. The problem arises when I attempt to drill this stainless. Have used this channel on other projects and have drilled/burned thru very slowly. What is the most effective method to drill stainless steel sheet metal. I have fabricated lots of other projects with lots of regular steel with no problem. Stainless seems to be my bugaboo. Thanx for the help!
Tom Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 07:39 PM   #2

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Trillium Outback
Registry
I use nitride coated bits. Seem to cut better and stay sharp longer. Of course, sharp bits work better than worn bits. I use a variable speed drill so am able to try to find the optimium rpm for penetration. I typically start at high rpms and slow down until I can see I have some cutting. Each metal has it's optimium cuttng speed, but I forget where to find the info and how it relates to drilling. I learned about it in machine shop setting up a lathe for metal work. In my experience stainless does take more pressure on the drill bit to penetrate.

Curt
1998 K2500 Chevy Silverado 6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4X4, ext cab, short bed
Curtis F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 08:03 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Are you using cutting oil??

Quote:
Duracut 253. An excellent general purpose cutting oil for medium to heavy duty cutting of ferrous metals and light duty stainless steel work. It contains a balanced combination of active and inactive sulfur, chlorine, metal wetting agents and anti-misting additives. Medium-bodied, dark color.

Duracut 235 and 236. Two oils designed for heavy duty cutting, reaming and tapping of stainless steel and high alloy metals. The sulfur and chlorine are linked on the same molecule in their additive package. This linking imparts the necessary anti-weld characteristics which gives long tool life and is necessary when cutting very hard metals. Both oils are dark amber in color and contain anti-misting additives. They differ only in viscosity and slipperiness additives.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 08:12 PM   #4

Trailer: 1980 Scamp 13 ft
Hello, another tool you could use is called a unibit. it's basically a step drill bit that electricians use to cut through thin sheetmetal boxes. I have one that starts at 1/4" up to 1". works very well.
Hope this helps.
Isaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 08:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Hello, another tool you could use is called a unibit. it's basically a step drill bit that electricians use to cut through thin sheetmetal boxes. I have one that starts at 1/4" up to 1". works very well.
Hope this helps.
I do use cutting oil. But, I will try slowing the bit, a sharp one, down to maximize the cutting. Will give 'er a try tomorrow AM. As for unibits, they are not really the ticket for anything other than plain sheet metal and soft steel. Besides, break a tip and for the most part they are worthless. Plus, very expensive. I will try a new nitride tipped sharp bit.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:38 AM   #6

Trailer: 1996 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel ('TOGETHERNEST' SLEEPS 8
You need a sharp bit with very little clearance . not like a wood bit. Oil, low RPM and lots of pressure never let it ride or rub as the material will work harden and dull the bit.. Sonmetimes you will have to sharpen the bit for each hole as when the bit comes out the other side it will have no suport and rub instead of cotting and dull the bit.
Lyndon Laney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 08:35 AM   #7

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Sirit Deluxe
If you take a sharp steel punch and make a good pilot ding that will help get the bit started.
andy s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 03:34 AM   #8

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
when drilling stainless, start with a sharp bit, use a very slow speed and lots of cutting lubricant.
if you drill fast it will burn the tip of the bit.
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 08:13 AM   #9

I accomplished my goal yesterday of drilling the SS sheet metal. I used a new sharp drill bit chucked up in my drill press set to the slowest speed. I used some cutting oil with a high sulfur content and all went very well. Thanx to all that posted advice on this question. Next will be to glue blocks onto the roof of my Bigfoot to serve as bases for my SS roofracks. Again, thanx!