driveway apron too steep? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2012, 11:46 AM   #1

Name: Pete
Trailer: 17' Casita SD
Wisconsin
driveway apron too steep?

I'm considering a 13' Scamp and have a steep apron on the driveway, about 2' rise in 13', anyone have experience here?
yyyyyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:53 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
You may be able to add skid wheels to the end of the frame, back by the rear bumper to assist in NOT digging into the driveway. See Frederick's post here.... and look at the first picture: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post190731
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:19 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Lightbulb Get a "High Lift" feature for your Scamp's axle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
See Frederick's post here.... and look at the first picture: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post190731
The skid wheel bolts to a plate welded to the bottom of the new frame member. It is 16" from the concrete pad to the bottom of the frame. I need this height due to my lack of a driveway apron.
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_1163.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	394.2 KB
ID:	42901
I put up with a "temporary driveway" because of the cost estimate I got for the real thing: $7,000.00 for concrete work done to the city specs, plus $3,000.00 for the city permit. Each time I want to move the trailer I have to prevent my neighbors from parking in front of my gate by parking in front of it myself at the stroke of 11:00 AM on Thursday to beat them to it.

Name:	000_1165.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	253.7 KB
ID:	42903
I consider this a small price to pay to live in a neighborhood WITHOUT homeowner's association restrictions.
Then I drag a piece of diamond-plate steel 10' x 2' to bridge the 9" high curb and gutter.

Name:	000_1164.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	292.1 KB
ID:	42902

The standard height of a Fiber Stream's frame would be 11" from the concrete pad due to leaf spring "under" axle.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:11 AM   #4

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
i've seen that problem a few times.

if there is no way to reduce the angle of the apron, then there is the posibilty of "bridging "the gap like he did with that piece of metal. if you need a longer approach you could make up a set of wooden ramps,that you could lay down, drive in , then pick up fairly quickly and easily.

i can see it in my mind, but have no way of drwing you a picture.
would sort of be like loading ramps for a trailer.

maybe even as simple as a couple 2x8 0r 2x10 with a block or two in the middle for a leg so to speak.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:26 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I don't think Pete is talking about the curb...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:56 AM   #6

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
yes , its when your vehicle is up the incline and the trailer is still on the road. the tongue rises and the tail wants to drag.

so you have to get the trailer higher , sooner. to lift the tail.

not sure if that explains it, but it sounds "more better "to me.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:57 PM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I don't think Pete is talking about the curb...
Pete asked about an actual driveway, and I assume his is concrete with a concrete "apron", and his yard and driveway are significantly higher than the road. While I don't have an actual driveway, after Donna suggested skid wheels like mine I wanted to fully explain my situation.

Pete is "currently shopping" and is considering a Scamp 13' trailer. My main point is that the higher the trailer is in comparison to the axle and wheels, the less of a problem the triangulation of it being in the low spot (gutter) becomes. Not only must he think about dragging the bumper, but if he backs his in like I do mine he needs to think about dragging the hitch as well.

Relying on skid wheels alone might over time cause damage to his apron. Raising the body of the trailer (with a high lift axle, or down angle arm) would take care of his problem.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:21 PM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
I guess I interpreted it to mean that his driveway/parking apron/pad itself is sloped - 2 feet over a 13 foot length of driveway he said - or so I understand (believe it or not, occasionally I am wrong! )

I "think' (sometimes!) that he is asking about parking it on that slope, and what issues will he face?
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:47 AM   #9

Name: Pete
Trailer: 17' Casita SD
Wisconsin
The incline is from roadway to sidewalk at top of apron.My Dodge Intrepid would sometimes scrape the hitch so that is why I'm concerned. I want to drive the trailer up the incline to park it in my driveway. Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the input. Pete
yyyyyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:35 PM   #10

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
EZ Drive Rubber Curb Ramps

What about these things?

Eco-Flex® EZ Drive? Recycled Rubber Curb Ramps Driveway Ramps

Made from recycled tires, portable, etc. I have used them in a number of situations.

Vic
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote