Driving North from the Rio Grande Valley - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2017, 03:56 PM   #1

Name: Judy
Trailer: 13' Scamp "La Cucaracha"
Texas
Driving North from the Rio Grande Valley

I'm about to drive down to the Valley and stay for a week. I am sure I'll go through a border checkpoint on the way back.

I won't have anything illegal, but I was wondering if this could cause a big delay for a thorough search, etc.

Anybody have any experience with this?

Gracias!
Old 09-05-2017, 05:36 PM   #2

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
It's not an issue. The only time they really search is if the driver shows signs of being illegal, of transporting illegals, or if the dog alerts on your vehicle. We've gone through the checkpoint about 90 miles north of the border many times, both with the trailer and without, with never an issue.

The one thing about it that always makes me chuckle is that they always ask the same question: "American citizen?"

As if you'd say no if you weren't.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:37 PM   #3

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Boler 1700
Michigan
We went through in January and didn't have any problems, it was rather quick and we didn't get searched. Being from Michigan I found it rather interesting. I was allowed to take pictures of the border check point as long as I didn't take pictures of people working there. We didn't buy any of the Mexican Crafts left by the Rio Grande River because i was to afraid too. Waaay faster than a border crossing to Canada from Detroit or Port Huron. We are youngish retirees and typically not viewed as threatening (but maybe clueless).
Lisa in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:24 PM   #4

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
At the most they likely won't do more than take a quick look inside if they have doubts as to someone hiding inside your vehicle or trailer. Nothing to worry about as we know you won't be transporting illegals

Be calm, be courteous, have your IDs and registrations ready to show to them. Be ready to answer things such as where you are from, where you are going, what you are doing there and how long you are going to be there. They will appreciate that you are going to be a quick in and out instead of someone creating a delay in the line.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:45 AM   #5

Texas
Thanks, everyone!

That's about what I thought, but was curious about others' experiences. I appreciate you all taking the time to respond!

#VivaMexico!!
Old 09-06-2017, 09:58 AM   #6

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
Heading back to Dallas across the lower part of Az., we went through an inspection point. We were pulling our 31' trailer. An older coupe in a nice newer auto was ahead of us. They were pulled over and their car gone over with a dog. Last we saw as we were waved through was the patrol opening the trunk of their car. But a few years ago, crossing into Canada, they had us unload everything in our cab over camper. Right down to the mattress.
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:01 AM   #7

Texas
Whoa.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:42 AM   #8

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Dmad1, Yes, they did make you remove your mattress, but wasn't that lump under it a dead body? Of course, I could be mistaking you for someone else. Take no offense.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:38 AM   #9

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Colorado
Worst US/Canada border crossing has to be the one coming into Canada from Detroit! Not sure why, but I've been hassled there and no where else and I'm Canadian! Go figure...!
ckayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:47 PM   #10

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
We were crossing at International Falls. Oh, it was guns and not bodies...
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:54 PM   #11

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckayaker View Post
Worst US/Canada border crossing has to be the one coming into Canada from Detroit! Not sure why, but I've been hassled there and no where else and I'm Canadian! Go figure...!
That's probably due to prior issues with contraband coming in from Detroit. It's like that at any crossing adjacent to a large urban area. We like the crossings in the middle of nowhere for that very reason.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:57 PM   #12

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
That's probably due to prior issues with contraband coming in from Detroit. It's like that at any crossing adjacent to a large urban area. We like the crossings in the middle of nowhere for that very reason.

Update: The guard at the border patrol checkpoint didn’t even ask if we were citizens! He just said where you going today, and I said back to Austin! He waved us right through!
Old 10-07-2017, 07:58 AM   #13

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
Check points

I thought at first you were talking going into Mexico. Huh? Crazy or what I have been there in good times no way now. Maybe you were I am not that adventuresome. Good for you if you are!

I have been through Canada a bunch of times we went thought from Detroit one time what a hassle they took our tent and all our camping stuff tore it all out and looked at stuff including our dirty clothes!

But they never searched us including wifeys purse.

what was up with all this?

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 05:24 PM   #14

Texas
I did go into Nuevo Progreso ~ 4 days in a row. No problems whatsoever! I didn’t take the Scamp or my car, though ~ I walked in.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:25 PM   #15

Texas
I just know that Texas has checkpoints within Texas on every highway leading from Mexico.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:46 PM   #16

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
When I was twenty-something and traveling with a friend, I got asked a lot more questions and was searched once. They even measured the thickness of the roof of the pop-up I was pulling, and I was afraid they were going to dismantle it. I never found out because my friend's parents, with whom we were traveling, turned around and came back to find out what was taking us so long, and the search immediately ended. Now that I am myself middle-aged with a wife and kids, I get waved through every time.

My wife, who is foreign-born, was asked to provide proof of citizenship once when traveling alone between AZ and CA near the border (not long after 9/11). That resulted in a panicked phone call to me from the checkpoint and a long delay, since her naturalization papers reside in a safe deposit box at home. She eventually got an apology from a supervisor.

Answer: it depends on your profile. Racial profiling is supposed to be off the table, although my wife's case proves that it still happens occasionally. Other kinds of profiling are perfectly legal.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 08:28 PM   #17

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
thought something was up! I went to Tijauna once never again!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:14 PM   #18

Texas
I doubt I’d go into Tijuana; Nuevo Progreso is touted as the safest border town there is. I believe it. Lots of good food, too.

Of course, it helps if you speak Spanish, which I do.

Tags
vin