Drum size on a UHaul VT? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2008, 08:40 PM   #1

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
We are repairing the braking system on our 1986 UHaul Vacationer and staying with the surge system. We would like to find a complete assembly to bolt on if possible. Does anyone know the size of the drum? Most kits come to fit either a 10" or 12" drum. I'd measure it myself, but my VT is stuck in a snowbank right now. Anyone know?
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 10:47 PM   #2

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Kevin, the innards of the brakes may be Dexter standard, but the drums themselves are probably only available from UHaul sources. I'd give your local UHaul dealer a call. The brakes would be the standard surge system they use on their cargo trailers.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Kevin, the innards of the brakes may be Dexter standard, but the drums themselves are probably only available from UHaul sources. I'd give your local UHaul dealer a call. The brakes would be the standard surge system they use on their cargo trailers.

Roger

Thanks, Roger. I'm watching an eBay auction for 10" surge brake assemblies and I wasn't sure whether to jump in. I'll probably wait until I can get down to UHaul and ask them about the system. Unfortunately, my experience with most UHaul dealerships is that they are staffed by folks who don't really know their own product line and are only good at making trailer/truck reservations. Maybe I can catch the manager!

Kevin
Old 02-17-2008, 11:38 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
My local U-Haul dealer has a mechanics shop where they work on the trucks/trailers and mount hitches. I'd walk around the back and talk to those folks rather than deal with the counter staff. Who probably only do make the reservations (and sell boxes).
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 04:25 PM   #5

Quote:
My local U-Haul dealer has a mechanics shop where they work on the trucks/trailers and mount hitches. I'd walk around the back and talk to those folks rather than deal with the counter staff. Who probably only do make the reservations (and sell boxes).
We also have a large UHaul repair facility next to our dealership. The only problem is that I don't speak Spanish. The last time I was there I had to wait until the bilingual manager showed up (about 30 minutes). I keep saying that I should learn another language (Latin just doesn't cut it as a second language anymore!). I have no problem with the proliferation of Spanish being spoken, I just don't know much of it. If I went north about 2 miles, it would be Polish and Czech. Great diversity in the Chicago area!
Old 02-20-2008, 09:41 PM   #6

Well, I decided to get in the eBay auction for the 10" Titan brake assemblies and they arrived Wed. already. My drums are 10", so it looks like everything should work together nicely. At least UHaul used something standard sized on the trailer! I probably won't get these installed until the weather warms up (April or May), but at least now I have the brake assemblies and the replacement surge brake actuator. Now, I hope the brake lines are good!
Old 02-21-2008, 03:09 PM   #7

Trailer: U-Haul 13 ft
Sounds great Kevin. Please let us know how this project turns out!
Rick Helgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:26 PM   #8

I tried the assembly on my extra hub this morning and just minor mods will be needed. Two of the 4 pre-drilled holes in the backing plate match up, but since the UHaul hub mounting plate is not square and the backing plate holes are drilled in a square, I will need to drill two different bolt holes to get all four lined up. Doesn't appear to be a problem. We should have brakes this summer!

Tags
u-haul, uhaul