Dry cell battery vs Battery charger? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2018, 11:55 AM   #1

Name: carla
Trailer: Scamp
Indiana
Dry cell battery vs Battery charger?

If you are boondocking which is better?
Or is propane better for frig to run?
Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 12:05 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Battery is not going to keep up with frig unless you have solar or a generator to recharge.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 12:24 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Agree with Thrifty Bill. If you have the old style 3 way fridge, only way to boondock is with propane. If you want to boondock with electric, you will need either (1) a generator, or (2) lots of solar panels and STILL will need to replace the old original 3 way fridge with a newer high efficiency 12vdc compressor fridge.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 02:13 PM   #4

Name: carla
Trailer: Scamp
Indiana
Yes, I even agree with that. On my river boat I used solar to power a hot tub. It has its ups and downs ,like everything else. Propane is the best way to go. Do these small frige’s take a lot of propane ? My tank is pretty small. Like the smallest one I have ever seen. LOL.
Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 02:57 PM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Others on this forum may have a better idea. Our longest boondocking streak was last year - 17 days. Maybe used 1/2 a tank and that was for running the fridge, plus cooking. We have the "standard" barbecue grill sized tank. On that 17 day streak we also used our free standing oversized 100w solar panel with our puny 38 amp hour battery for phone and tablet charging, lights and LP detector.

So if you are planning to primarily boondock, probably want to move up to a standard barbecue sized propane tank, or two, or do what one Casita owner does: 2 half sized propane tanks.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery