Drying damp towels? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2016, 06:47 PM   #21

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Really, Install towel bars UNDER the cabinets.
They will be out of the way, but fully functional.
I have installed them in the Scamp and the 5th wheel and they have been very useful.
Connie uses them to hang towels and also hangers with those things that she doesn't want to dry in the electric dryer.(we have a washer and dryer in the 5th wheel)
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 06:54 PM   #22

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
We use our Clam rain or shine, works very good, just string a line in back side and throw the towels over, and in 2 hours they are dry. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 02:31 PM   #23

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 16'
Wisconsin
I appreciate the ideas ranging from changing towel type to varying hanging methods. No one addressed that, since we bathe at night, nighttime drying is harder than drying in the daytime while you are out of the trailer. I will check out a high tech towel (and avoid catching debris with it). But, I do like and desire the heavy terry cloth which I have at home (when dry that is). We do have a number of stick-on plastic hooks appropriately placed to hang towels and things on.

I really thought that someone would have a modified furnace duct. The exhaust fan in the bathroom was closest to such. I can't imagine that exhausting fan would pull enough air to dry the free hanging towels.

Temperature and humidity are the independent variables, and sometimes we have little control of them. Dry climates help, but we rarely are in one.

David, am I Scamping?
Dsironi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 02:37 PM   #24

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
Really, Install towel bars UNDER the cabinets.
They will be out of the way, but fully functional.
I have installed them in the Scamp and the 5th wheel and they have been very useful.
Connie uses them to hang towels and also hangers with those things that she doesn't want to dry in the electric dryer.(we have a washer and dryer in the 5th wheel)

Like over the side table and over foot and head of the bed area?, blocking windows? Got a picture?

David, am I Scamping?
Old 09-28-2016, 02:51 PM   #25

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
You don't take thick towels camping, thinking things must be done the same way as at home will lead to frustration. So what if your towel is not thick and does not feel exactly the same? You will still get dry despite that. What the difference amounts to is one minute out of your day when you don't feel exactly the same as you do at home. It is just not that big of a deal to compromise on.

I car camped in France for a whole month. My towels were microfiber and they were a generous sized wash cloth. I used two of them for drying myself, one for my hair and the other for my body. It was completely adequate to dry myself with. To dry them I laid them on plastic bag behind the rear seat in front of the rear window. They were fine being damp overnight before I put them out to dry, I just put them in a plastic sack for that. They are certainly small enough to wash out in a sink everyday but I took 6 of them along just in case I did not want to do so.

That is what I still use in my RV. They function as wash cloths, bath towels, dish towels, misc washing cloths, etc. A stack of them takes up very little space. Do I enjoy a big fluffy towel to dry off with? sure...do I really have to have one?...no. A good pillow, now that is important as without it I would wake up grumpy with a sore neck and my whole day would be a lot less happy. But a towel choice does not have much of an impact on my day unless it took up a lot of room and added way too much moisture into the air contributing to issues such as mildew and needing big amounts of drying space and a lot of heat to dry it with.

I will leave the glamping towels behind.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 03:32 PM   #26

Trailer: Boler 1984
The frame of our first-up type canopy is perfect for hanging towels.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 06:56 PM   #27
M_C

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp
California
We put 2 pieces of PVC on our bike rack.
M_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:52 PM   #28

Oregon
I suppose if one was clever you could rig a hydronic heated towel rack using the existing hot water heater supply. The towel racks are ready made for purchase but the fittings needed to pipe the hot water to it would have to be found. If you are handy with plumbing you might be able to DIY it.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:59 PM   #29

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
I suppose if one was clever you could rig a hydronic heated towel rack using the existing hot water heater supply. The towel racks are ready made for purchase but the fittings needed to pipe the hot water to it would have to be found. If you are handy with plumbing you might be able to DIY it.
Per Walthinsen put a heated towel rack in his and Kathy's Burro!

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ack-28526.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 07:17 AM   #30

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
We use hand towels for our bath towels because they are smaller and dry faster. We usually shower at night and like someone else mentioned, hang a line from knob to knob on the upper cabinets. The space is just enough for me to hang four hand towels across and by the time we wake up, they are dry. During the day they hang on hooks on the inside of the closet door. They are a bit oversized and fairly plush, just smaller
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:20 AM   #31

Wisconsin
I was imagining the connections to make when Corbin suggested a hot water piped solution. It would operate on propane, which has its advantages.
Then I saw Donna's reference to the electric ones by Warmrails. These are some good solutions, not withstanding the microfiber and smaller is better (campericious?) ideas.

David, am I Scamping?
Old 09-29-2016, 09:33 AM   #32

Name: Alex
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Florida
fast dry

I have a little clip on fan, just a regular little fan. It will dry towels on the most humid of days. I often put it in the bath after I shower to quickly dry the whole area.
Alex Segal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:43 AM   #33

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Segal View Post
I have a little clip on fan, just a regular little fan. It will dry towels on the most humid of days. I often put it in the bath after I shower to quickly dry the whole area.

A 12v one?, or even simpler, like a hand held personal one, battery operated?

David, am I Scamping?
Old 09-29-2016, 10:30 AM   #34

Name: Alex
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Florida
I'm a fan of fans

I used to do quite a bit of boondocking so I have both.

I have a clip-on 110v (from Target) and a 10 inch 12v O2cool in my fan 'arsenal'

Also good to run the fan aimed at the open refrigerator to speed up defrosting when that is necessary.

Alex
Alex Segal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:04 PM   #35

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
You don't take thick towels camping, thinking things must be done the same way as at home will lead to frustration. So what if your towel is not thick and does not feel exactly the same? You will still get dry despite that. What the difference amounts to is one minute out of your day when you don't feel exactly the same as you do at home. It is just not that big of a deal to compromise on.

I car camped in France for a whole month. My towels were microfiber and they were a generous sized wash cloth. I used two of them for drying myself, one for my hair and the other for my body. It was completely adequate to dry myself with. To dry them I laid them on plastic bag behind the rear seat in front of the rear window. They were fine being damp overnight before I put them out to dry, I just put them in a plastic sack for that. They are certainly small enough to wash out in a sink everyday but I took 6 of them along just in case I did not want to do so.

That is what I still use in my RV. They function as wash cloths, bath towels, dish towels, misc washing cloths, etc. A stack of them takes up very little space. Do I enjoy a big fluffy towel to dry off with? sure...do I really have to have one?...no. A good pillow, now that is important as without it I would wake up grumpy with a sore neck and my whole day would be a lot less happy. But a towel choice does not have much of an impact on my day unless it took up a lot of room and added way too much moisture into the air contributing to issues such as mildew and needing big amounts of drying space and a lot of heat to dry it with.

I will leave the glamping towels behind.
Yep I'm with K Corbin, even I, the Gleeful Glamper, keep glamping towels behind. The beauty of micro-fiber towels is that they wick you dry even when wet! You could put hot water on your wet towel and wash while feeling luxurious! We just returned from a two week camping trip in the cold NorthWest and only had one shower in that time (it was the best shower ever!)

A heated air hand dryer or a hair dryer could dry the micro-fiber towels quickly. Many campground bathrooms have outlets and some have hand dryers on the wall.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 12:33 AM   #36

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
if you really want a thing drying towel buy them from:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
Yep I'm with K Corbin, even I, the Gleeful Glamper, keep glamping towels behind. The beauty of micro-fiber towels is that they wick you dry even when wet! You could put hot water on your wet towel and wash while feeling luxurious! We just returned from a two week camping trip in the cold NorthWest and only had one shower in that time (it was the best shower ever!)

A heated air hand dryer or a hair dryer could dry the micro-fiber towels quickly. Many campground bathrooms have outlets and some have hand dryers on the wall.
:Motel 6 they have lots of good used thin drying towels for sale when they get their new batch from Best Western and so on.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 12:49 AM   #37

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsironi View Post
I was imagining the connections to make when Corbin suggested a hot water piped solution. It would operate on propane, which has its advantages.
Then I saw Donna's reference to the electric ones by Warmrails. These are some good solutions, not withstanding the microfiber and smaller is better (campericious?) ideas.

David, am I Scamping?
You got it right David

I did use the word hydronic to denote the type of towel rack.
Hydronic: denoting a cooling or heating system in which heat is transported using circulating water.

If it is set up correctly the hot water will flow up to the top of the rack and the cold water descends and returns back to the water heater without the need of a mechanical pump. But much depends on how close it is to the water heater as you don't want a lot of heat loss over any long horizontal distances before it reaches the towel rack, plus hot water only rises so far before it gets too cooled to rise effectively. Propane fueled, no electric, heats the room too. But you would want to install a shut off valve for the summer time so you don't heat the room when you heat the water for other uses.

The fuel cost efficiency depends on how efficient the burner on the water heater is. With no electric pump involved it would be very quiet and won't drain the battery. If you are good at soldering you could even build one out of copper pipe and fittings. But I won't be making one for myself as I am not installing a water heater other than a tea kettle. I want to keep the weight and the expense down, my Campster is tiny and needs to remain light weight.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:56 PM   #38

Wisconsin
Well, this summer in Canada I tried the micro fleece towel. It worked for me, but my wife prefers the solid bath towels.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:07 PM   #39

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Camping is a small trailer is a lot like backpacking. If you read backpacker or books on backpacking you'll learn what products buy. The fires towels we had were sponge like and kept them in a semisealed box wet. The towels were good for about 4 years unless you let them dry out. Today there's another towel
This one works quiet well and dries fast. Instead of rubbing like with terry cloth, you pat yourself down.
A lot of these living problems can be solved by frequenting backpacking store either on line or in person.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:38 PM   #40

Name: Lynn
Trailer: '06 Scamp 16
Rochester, New York
Towel Drying

I put towel racks on the bathroom door, mounted front and back with nuts and bolts to minimize stress on the chipboard. I also made a drying rack from PVC pipe and welded (sloppily) mounts to the bumper. Pictures attached.

Lynn
Attached Thumbnails
025a.jpg   026a.jpg  

SSCN3686.JPG   SSCN3684.JPG  

Lynn Eberhardt is offline   Reply With Quote