DuoTherm A/c woes - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2014, 11:34 AM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft
DuoTherm A/c woes

I have a 25 ft Bigfoot TT. It has an 11,000 BTU Duo Therm A/C. My problem is that the ac cuts off prematurely. It only wants to cool the trailer about 10 deg from the outside temp. When it shuts off, both the compressor and the fan shut down. The owners manual says that the fan should continue to run when the compressor shuts off. I suspect that the outside coils are freezing up causing the unit to shut down. I contacted Duo Therm to see if the unit has a freeze sensor. I was told that it does not. I am in Texas and we are already seeing 90 to 95 deg days. I suspect that the 11,000 btu unit may be too small for a 25 ft travel trailer. I have replaced the thermostat also but the problem continues. Any ideas short of removing the outside shroud and inspecting for ice? The air temp coming out of the unit is right at 60 deg.
Jim Sinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:02 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
You don't mention the age of the a/c but many do show age issues after about 10 years.

I would just bite the bullet and pull it off the roof and get it bench tested and repaired. The plus side to that is you can replace the roof gasket with a new one at the same time. The roof gaskets are generic and readily available at any RV parts shop.

And Yes, 11,000 is a bit small for a 25'er, 13,500 would do a better job with that much area, esp in Texas, where everything has to be bigger (LOL)

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:11 PM   #3

The trailer is an '08. Prior owner was from Ohio and said he never used the unit. He did say it was serviced last year.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:50 PM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
It is the inside coil that freezes. The outside coil should be hot.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:11 PM   #5

I'm not sure that the unit is freezing up. I will check tomorrow for sure by climbing up and removing the shroud. With the inside cover (air box) removed, I cannot see any sign of freezing. That is why I suspected a freeze sensor. Again, the DuoTherm tech support line said there is no freeze sensor or low temp sensor, if they can be believed.
I gave the woman the model number and she supposedly looked it up. The install manual says that the fan should stay on when the compressor cycles off. That is not what is happening. Both the fan and compressor shut down. Later they come back on. Tomorrow I will clean the coils to within an inch of their lives and see what that does. LOL.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:34 PM   #6

No ice on the inside coil.
Still puzzled as to why it shuts down prematurely.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:19 AM   #7

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
to Hot?

Is it possible that the compressor is getting to hot? Is there a to hot sensor?
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 02:39 PM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Have you tried calling Bigfoot to ask or gone to their owners forum to see if anyone else has had the same issue?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:22 PM   #9

I have scoured the internet looking for someone with an identical problem with no success. The mfg, DuoTherm, was no help either. Tomorrow I'll get out the multi-meter and start exploring.