easy power add - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2019, 06:56 PM   #1

Name: Rick
Trailer: Boler
Saskatchewan
Registry
easy power add

HI there, I'm looking for advice about adding a bit of electrical power to run a fan in our Boler. It presently has no 12v system at all. I am just looking to see if it is an easy fix to run a battery to a 12v fan it there is one(my next Google search!).

Rick
R A Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 08:45 PM   #2

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner 2016 Honda Pilot
North Carolina
If you’re looking for something simple, you might look at something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Aeiusny-Gener...gateway&sr=8-7

I have a similar one that, when not in my camper, I use in my house as a UPS for my phone/ cable.

Different brands and sizes are available, and do look for deals.
neparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 06:34 AM   #3

Name: Rick
Trailer: Boler
Saskatchewan
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by neparker View Post
If you’re looking for something simple, you might look at something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Aeiusny-Gener...gateway&sr=8-7

I have a similar one that, when not in my camper, I use in my house as a UPS for my phone/ cable.

Different brands and sizes are available, and do look for deals.
Thanks very much!

Rick
R A Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 08:55 PM   #4

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1971 Hunter compact Jr, 1979 Terry 19', 2003 Scamp 16'
California
Those systems work well, but it is not difficult to Mount a battery box for a small deep cycle battery on the tongue. You can install a cigarette lighter type outlet in the trailed. It's not difficult or expensive.
If your sure you only want to run a fan a good jigh capacity jump start battery will do the job and have other uses as well. I used one in a tent several years. If you go this route be sure to buy a unit that will recharge from a vehicle cigarette type outletwhile driving. You can get one for around $125.
Be careful about the lithium type. I have a good one. It'll jump a car several times, but only charge a cell phone 4 times. There made for a high instant burst of power, not to run anything on. This is different that actual 12v lithium battery stacks.
Terry in Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 11:21 PM   #5

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Rick, When you say "a bit" of electrical power, how much are you talking about? For a $20 bill, you could get a little 12V 12 Ah sealed battery like the one in the first link below (small footprint, light weight) and use it to power a small fan like you find in the back of most thrown-away desktop computers (see second link below, but you might already have one laying around your house). And walla - you have "a bit" of an RV fan (portable, too) that will move air around the inside a small Boler for a long time on a battery charge (not sure what the amp draw is, but it can't be much). And you can probably rig up a way to have your tow vehicle recharge the little battery while you drive to your next camp site or use a little solar charger.

https://www.batterysharks.com/12-Vol...iABEgJduvD_BwE

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insigni...?skuId=5976302
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 05:47 AM   #6

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
This might be a good fit for you.

Slim potatohead fan install in an Aliner.

Old 06-02-2019, 07:06 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
To do a minimal built-in 12V system, you need a deep cycle battery, a power distribution center (fuses), and vehicle-rated wires with proper connections to lights, outlets, or whatever you want to run. It is not necessary to have built-in charging, but the fuse protection and code compliant wiring is important for safety. Faulty 12V wiring is a fairly common cause of RV fires.

Alternatively, look for devices or power supplies (like the ones War Eagle linked) that run off their own rechargeable batteries.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 11:38 AM   #8

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1971 Hunter compact Jr, 1979 Terry 19', 2003 Scamp 16'
California
You can get as elaborate as you want or as simple. I picked up a compact junior in 2001 which was built draw power from the tow vehicle. There was never a battery in the trailer. it had seperate inline fuses coming off of a block for a couple of lights and the 12v side of the refrigerator. I built a small battery box on the tongue for a lawn mower battery, tied it in with 10 gaug wire,a cut off to keep it from over charging on long trips and a inline 15 amp fuse (I never ran the refrigerator on 12v unlessential the tv hooked up) In 10 years I went through 2 batteries. This was all I needed for 2 lights and fan.
With the scamp I have 122 ah battery, a battery tender and 2 hundred watt solar panels. One of the panels is mounted on my truck, one is portable. The scamp requires a lot more power to make it worth the cost.
A lot of things can work. Just make sure it is fused to protect the wires. A fuse that is to big for an appliance will burn the appliance. A fuse that is to big for the wire will burn the wire, then maybe the trailer and possibly you
Terry in Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 04:19 PM   #9

Name: Don
Trailer: 1989 Burro
Tennessee
Hi Rick,
Love that Boler. We had a 1984 Burro FG and camped in it from Tenn to California and had a ball. You didn’t say what the fan would be used for so I’m assuming it’s for ventilation and not cooking exhaust. What year is your Boler? Wouldn’t it be unusual not to have some 12V wiring? We’ve had three Burros and all had 12V wiring. The newer your camper the more likely it is to have wiring for vent fan and lights. Here’s a post from 2014 that might give you some ideas on where to look. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ies-65383.html . Do you have a ceiling vent? With luck there might be some 14 or 16 gauge wire hiding in the insulation. It’s not fun fishing wire in fiberglass but it can be done. Good luck and happy camping.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:39 PM   #10

Nevada
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by R A Mar View Post
HI there, I'm looking for advice about adding a bit of electrical power to run a fan in our Boler. It presently has no 12v system at all. I am just looking to see if it is an easy fix to run a battery to a 12v fan it there is one(my next Google search!).

Rick
If you have no need for 12 volt power, you can get a small Class II, 120 vac to 12 volt dc converter (i.e. wall wart) just to run your fan. Just make sure the converter you buy is capable of providing sufficient current (amps) to the fan. The fans instruction sheet or possibly the name plate should have this info. Radio Shack used to sell these, but I’m sure you can find one at Amazon.
egfasdsdsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 09:57 PM   #11

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
There are fans and then there are FANS. The caps size equates a ceiling fan such as an Air Maxx. If you just want a personal desktop sized fan you can get rechargeable ones that you can charge as you drive or else power with D cell batteries. Such as this one sold by O2 Cool.
https://www.amazon.com/O2COOL-10-Inc...gateway&sr=8-3
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler