Electrib Brake Novice Here - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2016, 06:26 PM   #1

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
Electrib Brake Novice Here

I just read the instructions for the Primus IQ brake controller that is installed in my TV and just waiting for the new 13' Scamp (May 4th). I am worried that there is a big learning curve associated with this project. I'll be hauling the trailer to Montana and back - so lots of grade changes are in the works. I think I'm already in over my head, having never hauled a trailer with brakes. Please tell me it's easy to set (and forget, hopefully) the controller. Maybe they'll help me with it at the factory. Wishful thinking?
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:35 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Registry
It' soooo easy ..even I can do it

Ask the guys up in Backus...they will set it for you and it really is a set it and forget it

(2) Big Green Eggs for cooking..(1) Egg for camping
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:04 AM   #3

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Herons, If your brake controller was installed by a professional it should have come with some instruction. If properly installed you will have no problem. You will have to fine tune the amount of "grab" your brakes apply from time to time.
Also test the trailer brakes daily before you start a leg of your trip...again following the instructions. It is a simple procedure once you get used to the system.

Because you are headed west into some possible extreme grades please be sure you have a tow vehicle capable of the task. Hopefully you have had a trans-cooler installed in your tow vehicle. When you climb a high grade watch your engine temperature and pull over for a cool down if you note your engine temp getting too high. Montana has some very high mountain roads and many fantastic views...been there done that...love to go again...the eastern half of Montana was pretty much empty when I was there many decades ago...enjoy!

Enjoy your trip and Happy Camping.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:35 AM   #4

Name: Jerry
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
South Carolina
No problems!

I travel to MT and back to SC every summer, so I cover a lot of varied terrain. I believe that my TV (Tacoma) could handle my 17 Casita w/o electric brakes, but added electric brakes as a safety measure. In all my travels I only encountered one downgrade that was really long and steep, coming off the top of the Big Horns headed to Big Horn Canyon NRA. Here I had to be extra careful.

I am guessing that the real value of electric brakes is an unanticipated deacceleration while traveling on Interstate. Here are some common sense practices that are as or more important than the brakes themselves.

1. I keep my speed reasonable and use defensive driving techniques.
2. Allow lots of space between vehicles I am following.
3. Take lots of time coming off passes.
4. Have TV brakes checked before I leave.
5. Have electric brakes checked and adjusted before I leave.
6. My wife and I use a check list before departing each campsite no matter how routine it gets which includes checking electric brakes.
7. Make sure TV tires have lots of tread, are sized correctly and are properly inflated.

I am sure you will do well. Enjoy MT and be safe!
Jerrymcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:54 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Jerry.

I have a Silverado that's heavier then your Tacoma and was pulling a small u-haul trailer loaded with my 900 pound Kubota tractor, under 2k pounds total and had to make a fast stop and learned real quick how little stopping power I actually had without trailer brakes.

Here's a map showing state and province brake requirements. At 3000 pounds most all states require them and the gross weight of my 17' Casita is 3500#.
http://www.readybrake.com/state-towing-laws.html

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote