Electric brakes for 16' Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2013, 01:26 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 16'
Wisconsin
Electric brakes for 16' Scamp

Hello,

We just ordered a new Scamp. I need to acquire an electrics brake controller for my 2012 Highlander and maybe small weight distribution hitch. Have you advice? The Toyota dealer doesn't stock them. An online installation video doesn't look too hard to do.
Thanks for guidance.
David
Dsironi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:51 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
The Tekonsha controllers tend to be favored here. The P3 has lots of bells and whistles, the P2 less so and the Primus is the basic. I have the Primus and it does all I would ask.

The important thing, IMHO, is to get one that has an accelerometer so it proportions the brakes. The very cheap ones just use a timer.

Amazon.com: Tekonsha

Etrailer is a good source, too, and is more likely to have a plug in adapter to ease the installation. They also have a wide assortment of WDH and videos to help you choose, if you decide that you really need one.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:41 PM   #3

Name: Paul
Trailer: '07 Scamp 16' SD
Wisconsin
I don't have a ton of experience, but we have a Reese mini 350 that we got from our scamp's PO last week when we got our camper. Towed it nearly 700 miles and it seemed to do well. It has built in friction anti-sway as well. It really helped given that we had no trailer brakes, terrible roads, and one emergency stop.

I'm fairly sure the more experienced folks would deride the design, but it worked
glennco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:58 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Since the brake controller and weight distribution system are two entirely separate issues, I suggest keeping their discussion separate - you could keep this thread on the brake controller (since the title already sort of says that), and pursue the other topic in a separate thread.

Even better, both subjects have been beaten to death already, so perhaps we could avoid going through them again. David, would you like some assistance searching for the relevant discussion threads? Then, if you have a very specific question, you could ask that.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:53 PM   #5

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Casita 17 Freedom DeLuxe
British Columbia
I have been trying to search BRAKES, and have tried modifiers like TRILLIUM and ELECTRIC in front of the noun, and no matter which of the three I use, I get all kinds of unrelated stuff, even sealing windows!!!!!! How does the search really work? i.e. how do I get answers with "brakes" in the topic ?
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:59 PM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Kenneth when using the search option here only use the one at the very bottom of the Search drop down menu - Called Google - it will work much better than the other options given.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
I have been trying to search BRAKES, and have tried modifiers like TRILLIUM and ELECTRIC in front of the noun, and no matter which of the three I use, I get all kinds of unrelated stuff, even sealing windows!!!!!! How does the search really work? i.e. how do I get answers with "brakes" in the topic ?
Like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Search box.JPG  
Old 05-15-2013, 01:24 PM   #8

Registry
LOL pretty well what I said Tom. Oh wait I forgot you cant see me!
Old 05-15-2013, 01:52 PM   #9

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Casita 17 Freedom DeLuxe
British Columbia
Gotcha!
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:41 PM   #10

Registry
David, I use the Tekonsha P2 controller and am very happy with it.

Re the weight distribution hitch, you didnt say what model of Highlander you have so dont know your tow cap but I am aware that some of the V6 newer models have a tow cap of 5000lbs. If yours does then I would suggest you try towing the trailer a couple of times before spending the money on a WD as it may not be required - unless of course Toyota is telling you to use one when pulling a trailer under 3000lbs which is what your new Scamp will weigh loaded up - maybe less depending on the layout and options you have ordered. I have a friend pulling a 13' Scamp with a new Highlander, no weight distribution hitch and they are very happy with how it tows and dont even notice the trailer.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:48 AM   #11

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 16'
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
David, I use the Tekonsha P2 controller and am very happy with it.

Re the weight distribution hitch, you didnt say what model of Highlander you have so dont know your tow cap but I am aware that some of the V6 newer models have a tow cap of 5000lbs. If yours does then I would suggest you try towing the trailer a couple of times before spending the money on a WD as it may not be required - unless of course Toyota is telling you to use one when pulling a trailer under 3000lbs which is what your new Scamp will weigh loaded up - maybe less depending on the layout and options you have ordered. I have a friend pulling a 13' Scamp with a new Highlander, no weight distribution hitch and they are very happy with how it tows and dont even notice the trailer.
Thanks Carol.
I bought the P2 this week and, re WD, will wait to see how it tows.
David
Dsironi is offline   Reply With Quote