Electric Service vrs. Generator Advice - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2018, 11:05 AM   #1

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
Electric Service vrs. Generator Advice

I'm trying to decide between new electrical service on our lake cabin back lot and getting a generator to keep the casita going during cold weather for guests. We’d be running the refrigerator, keeping it warm with a small space heater and running the lights. The new electric service run about $1500. We would need the power from one of the sources for about 60 days a year. Advice?
Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 11:37 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
If you bought a Honda or Yamaha generator it would cost about $1000. Then you'd have to buy gas and oil and keep it running. Which would eat of the $500 difference pretty fast. There are other things to worry about with a generator, noise and CO are two.

Look around you might not have to have a special service added. I run my trailer when stored from a 15amp outlet with an adaptor. Cold weather a small electric heater and the refrigerator warm weather just the refrigerator. A battery minder also from the same household circuit keeps the battery charged to run the interior LED lights.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:43 AM   #3

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
If you bought a Honda or Yamaha generator it would cost about $1000. Then you'd have to buy gas and oil and keep it running. Which would eat of the $500 difference pretty fast. There are other things to worry about with a generator, noise and CO are two.

Look around you might not have to have a special service added. I run my trailer when stored from a 15amp outlet with an adaptor. Cold weather a small electric heater and the refrigerator warm weather just the refrigerator. A battery minder also from the same household circuit keeps the battery charged to run the interior LED lights.

That sounds like what I needed to hear. My Casita will be happy. Thanks for the advice!
Old 10-11-2018, 01:03 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Run the power. For your use the generator is the wrong way to go. I would run it in plastic conduit under ground if possible.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:09 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I am assuming you are not talking about a separate utility service with a meter
That would require you to pay a monthly fee for the service besides paying for the power you consume . In our area the monthly service fee is $30 / month
If you are talking about running power from an existing service then $1500 seems reasonable
If they are going to trench in the wires for the branch circuit then you might as well add a plastic pipe for water .
I did something similar for a friend of mine and we ran power , water and cable TV to the trailer . It turned his trailer into a great guest house for visitors .
I'm with Byron , a generator is not the best solution in the long term
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:29 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Humm. One is stationary and one is movable and since you can only spend the money once, I'd go with the generator because it allows options (like taking the Casita to someplace that doesn't have power and you need power).
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:28 PM   #7

Washington
Registry
Hum. There is that Donna. I don’t see use going in the boondocks for more than a couple of nights though. Our battery and propane seem to take care of that. I am afraid that its going to be a separate service though. The lot is across a county road -it is dirt and I can dig there, but I’ll bet when the engineer comes out he will nix that lovely inexpensive idea.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:46 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 13
California
No way! For a separate metered service that will cost too much and get the government involved. I would add a better battery bank and go solar then. Use propane for heat. Here in socal power supply fees are to much to have a separate metered service. Put up a carport with solar on top or add it to your trailer and leave it in the open.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:57 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue and Henry View Post
Hum. There is that Donna. I don’t see use going in the boondocks for more than a couple of nights though. Our battery and propane seem to take care of that. I am afraid that its going to be a separate service though. The lot is across a county road -it is dirt and I can dig there, but I’ll bet when the engineer comes out he will nix that lovely inexpensive idea.
They can mole under the road . They do it all the time without damaging the road whether paved or gravel
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:57 PM   #10

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
In rural areas where there are cabins you can and will get electrical outages if the weather is windy. So if you are planning on camping for the off season then you should think about investing in both grid and off grid solutions. The grid makes life easy in many ways.

Start with one and then when the budget allows add the other. That makes it easy to decide because it won't matter which one you start with. Underground for the wires is always good if possible to prevent the wires getting knocked down by falling trees. I have lived in locations where the power was out for the better part of a week because of trees coming down along the roads, sometimes on my road into the property, other times out on the main roads. If your area is like that then it could be the justification for starting with a generator.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 02:03 PM   #11

Name: Wil
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
No way! For a separate metered service that will cost too much and get the government involved. I would add a better battery bank and go solar then. Use propane for heat. Here in socal power supply fees are to much to have a separate metered service. Put up a carport with solar on top or add it to your trailer and leave it in the open.

I second this. Propane for heat and fridg with LED lights use very little electricity. A good solar panel with existing battery would probably be enough. Solar either on top of trailer or portable so it can be set in area of best sun.
wilyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 03:01 PM   #12

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Sounds like you/we need more information. Is this a public road you are talking about crossing? Can you run YOUR power under a public ROW (right of way)? I would not think so. How far are you talking about running wires(voltage drop)?

Would you like to have a generator for other uses anyway? For example, my little Honda is as-we-speak keeping us happy and (relatively) comfortable during a Hurricane Michael enforced power outage. As it has for two previous hurricanes.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 03:30 PM   #13

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I don't really understand the question to be honest?
Is there already power at the property somewhere or not?

If not and this is the first power there ever then it is one thing but if yes and you will be simply extending it to another spot then it is entirely another thing.

Which is it?
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 02:10 AM   #14

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue and Henry View Post
I'm trying to decide between new electrical service on our lake cabin back lot and getting a generator to keep the casita going during cold weather for guests. We’d be running the refrigerator, keeping it warm with a small space heater and running the lights. The new electric service run about $1500. We would need the power from one of the sources for about 60 days a year. Advice?
:I would be going on line and looking n CL Electrical until I found the right UG wire, then run either 110V or 220V over to the trailer to do the work you need it to do. Generators run out of gas Power does not. I'm sure you have a spare cple of spots in the cabin electrical box.
But first go to your local hardware store like Lowes or Home Depot and buy the electrical book for your areas codes.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 06:09 AM   #15

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
. Generators run out of gas, Power does not...
No? What about the 24 hours I went this week without electric service here after hurricane Michael. Or the hundreds of thousands who lost power from Michael and/or Florence these last two months. BTW, I was surprised that so many of my neighbor's owned generators. I was OK with a propane fridge and solar in the camper.

So that brings me to my point. If the electric power is needed more than just a handful of times total, then the electric service is a no-brainer. Esp for $1,500.

A generator should also be purchased if it might be necessary as a back-up, for use in other remote areas, etc. But that should be evaluated separately from the day-to-day need for electric service.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator