Electrical - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2020, 04:57 PM   #1

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Mississippi
Electrical

Finished up some yard work today then went to our camper to retrieve some bandaids, yep I put my finger somewhere I shouldn't have. Anyway we have a 2018 Bigfoot 25RQ, I opened the door then tried to turn on Battery power but had nothing, didn't hear the relay click or anything when I tried to apply battery power. I then hooked up to shore power, everything came on found the bandaids oct. With shore power if I tried to toggle the batt power I could hear the relay clicking, battery condition checked good. Only trouble shooting I did was checking battery power with volt meter. With shore power it reads 12.3 volts without it reads 11.9 to 12.1. Any suggestions before I start other trouble shooting.

1. How much voltage DC does it take for the camper to power up using batt power.

2. Why would the relay on the batt power switch click with shore power but not without if batt reading the above voltages.

I won't really be able to look closely for a few days so I'm asking if anyone else has had this issue.

No I didn't lose much blood!
snuffy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 05:22 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Check power control panel to see if battery charge is turned off and the fuses.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 12:24 PM   #3

Mississippi
electrical

According to our wiring diagram there are two 30 amp DC fuses, they weren't at the location of the fuse/CB panel. Looked under the camper to see where the wiring entered, drivers side under front dinette seat forward of water heater. Grant confirmed this and the 30 amp for the batt relay was tripped. I was curious as to why they weren't located where the other fuses are, Grant said as per code they have to be within 18 inches of where they enter the camper. Now I need to see if that's a US standard too I want to relocate them.

1. Can anyone answer the question is this a US standard too?

Anyway thanks to Grant at the plant for his answers, that's why I recommend these campers, great customer support.
Old 11-23-2020, 12:26 AM   #4

Name: Elliott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Everywhere
Unlike houses, I don't think there's any restrictions on what you can do electrically on your own travel trailer. Any codes that exist would apply to the original manufacturer only.

If you do move it further away, it might be worth adding an inline fuse right on the lead from the battery.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 06:54 AM   #5

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
you can purchase fuses that mount directly on the battery terminal. It is there to protect the wiring from the battery to the fuse box. You would need to order the correct value for your system. may this is your solution.

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Syst...VC561K24ZPCWSP

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Syst...76C242XNBD4TV4
Old 11-23-2020, 08:23 AM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffy2 View Post
According to our wiring diagram there are two 30 amp DC fuses, they weren't at the location of the fuse/CB panel. Looked under the camper to see where the wiring entered, drivers side under front dinette seat forward of water heater. Grant confirmed this and the 30 amp for the batt relay was tripped. I was curious as to why they weren't located where the other fuses are, Grant said as per code they have to be within 18 inches of where they enter the camper. Now I need to see if that's a US standard too I want to relocate them.

1. Can anyone answer the question is this a US standard too?

Anyway thanks to Grant at the plant for his answers, that's why I recommend these campers, great customer support.
If I remember my NEC code correctly the overcurrent device has to be as close as practical / possible , so roughly 18”. 10 - 12 ft does not comply with the intent of the code . Why would you want to run unfused wires through a living space and create a hazard ?
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 05:11 PM   #7

Mississippi
fuses

They wouldn't be unfused wires and they are already in the living space 18" before there is a fuse, fact it's right under your backside if you are sitting in the driver side dinette. Doesn't matter anyway instead of relocating them I just drilled a finger hole in the panel that covers it. If it happens again I'll remove the cushion and cover panel and reset it no big deal.

The distance from where they are to where I was considering moving them is only about three feet, that's why I choose to do what I did.

Thanks for the responses and again kudos to Bigfoot.

Tags
bigfoot, electrical